Help on peer to peer network with a wireless router

johnnywadd

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
To make a long story short, I have a cable modem with roadrunner online service. The connect used to be fast and flawless until I purchased a wireless router. I had to get one because my apartment does not have a cable outlet in the bedroom where my computer is, nor will anybody install one. I have a belkin G card in my pc and a belkin brand router. I can surf wirelessly all day long at pretty fast speeds, but when I want to download something from a peer to peer network, my connection keeps "choking out" with the number of hosts and downloads. Is this caused by the wireless router, or do I have to change settings to handle this, anyone's help would be greatly appreciated. 8O

sturm

Splendid
I would get a long enough cat 5 cable and just run it to the computer. Wireless is always slower than wired. Just snake the cable along the baseboards to the room.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Depending on what p2p software you use you may need to forward some ports to get the most out of your bandwidth.
Just out of curiosity what router did you get? Not all routers are made equal, it may be getting more load than it can handle. P2P puts more load on a router than anything else.

johnnywadd

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I got the run of the mill belkin wireless g from wal-mart. I think I will just run some ethernet cable to my modem and throw the router in the trash. Wireless sucks for my application, thanks for the input anyhow

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Yea, in my experience belkin had about the worst home routers money could buy. It is no surprise to me p2p was killin it. If you spend a bit more and get a higher end linksys or buisnessline netgear (blue metal) they should handle it much better.