Building a computer (with a (semi)budget), need help

SideWind3r

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
So far I have decided only on upgrading to a Core 2 Duo E6300. I'm going to also get one of those processor fans so I can overclock.

For a motherboard I was thinking of the Gigabyte DS3 but it's quite expensive.. I have, however, heard great things about it; including that it's good for overclocking.

I have no ideas about RAM, PSU, or GPU.. That's where I mainly need some help. I have something along the lines of £400 and with CPU, fan and mobo that already puts me at around £215 (with current prices. I'm going to buy after Christmas so hopefully prices will drop?). Any suggestions?

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
So far I have decided only on upgrading to a Core 2 Duo E6300. I'm going to also get one of those processor fans so I can overclock.

For a motherboard I was thinking of the Gigabyte DS3 but it's quite expensive.. I have, however, heard great things about it; including that it's good for overclocking.

I have no ideas about RAM, PSU, or GPU.. That's where I mainly need some help. I have something along the lines of £400 and with CPU, fan and mobo that already puts me at around £215 (with current prices. I'm going to buy after Christmas so hopefully prices will drop?). Any suggestions?

Don't make the mistake of getting the DS3.

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
I don't know what's wrong with the DS3. I have one, and it seems great. I suppose you could go with the S3 instead, it's a little cheaper and the only difference is the capacitors aren't quite as fancy (3 year lifetime instead of 5 year, or something like that).

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Yes get a gigabyte S3 motherboard to save money. A thermaltake or seasonic PSU, 1gb 800mhz ram. Get the ati x1950pro and get the artic cooling freezer 7 HSF which is also cheap.