Sign in with
Your question

New Core 2 Comp, Going to Overclock, What to get?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 4, 2006 8:52:09 PM

Ok well like my title states. Im building a new system real soon and im just not as sure what to get as I was when I got my last system.

My current comp is already sold for $1K so im happy about that. Stats are <----

Anyway Im probably going to go the E6600 route like everyone else (Untill the quad cores come down. I multitask like a mofo lol)

I am going to use the Thermaltake Bigwater SE kit on this new system just like im using now on my P4. Love it as it keeps my proc cool and quiets everything down considerably. Yes I am going to overclock it and hope to get 3.4Ghz stable as I am running now. My comp hasnt crashed from hardware in over 6 months.

I was looking to get some good CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
If anyone recomends better im open. Money is still an object but im looking to spend around 2K total on this setup. (Saw the P5B Deluxe can use Kingston PC2-8500 HyperX memory.. Kinda sexy looking number there)

I need some recomendations on a goood power supply that will work great now and in the future with an R600 Crossfire setup on a quad core. Hopefully its also one that looks clean or is a modular one. I am soo sick of all the wires in my case.

The motherboard... thats whats got me hanging.. What one should I get? I want crossfire and the only board manufacture I have used is Asus. I love them. Everything I have used from them has performed top notch. CUSL-2, P4T-E, P4T533-C, P4P800, They all have been great. (P4T-E died from a graphics card stupidity setup. Geforce 3 Ti500 didnt like to be squeezed with a Voodoo 2 and i think the heat and whatnot caused issues with both the Ti500 and the Motherboard)

So I was planning on staying with Asus still. Problem is I want quad core capabilites as well as crossfire support so Im stuck between the P5B Deluxe or the P5W DH Deluxe. The P5W States its Quad core ready and crossfire ready (hopefully crossfire capable with the R600 as well.) While lots of good has been said about the P5B Deluxe. Though it doesnt look quad core capable nor crossfire but if someone can prove me wrong Id be happy to use it.

Lastly Im waiting out for the R600 but in the meantime what should I get to tide me over as well as give me a nice upgrade from my 7800GS I have now. NFS carbon doesnt even run good on my comp anymore lol.

I was thinking 1 1950/1900XT (maby XTX) but whatever gives me the best bang for the buck here would be appreciated. Heck im even tempted to get an 8800GTX untill the R600 comes out. I really want my comp to scream for a while.

Other than that I have 2 74gb Raptors standing buy, I will be carrying over my X-Fi sound card, and my Pioneer DVD Burner.

Lots to read but I need some help on which way I really want to go. This setup may look temporrary but I want it to last me 2 years top of the line if possible. I do a lot of Video Editing as well as gaming at 1680X1050 and im sick of my 10-40FPS limits. I want to be up there with most eveything maxed out.

More about : core comp overclock

a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2006 9:43:57 PM

First off,

Quote:
Geforce 3 Ti500 didnt like to be squeezed with a Voodoo 2

WTF?? Why??

Second off, go with the P5B Delux. It has the new 965 chipset, and I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Forget the 1900xt, $100 more gets you a 8800GTS which is a far superior card.

Also you could save a few bucks and some hassle if you just used a good air cooler. The C2D runs pretty cool, even overclocked, with a zalman 9700. You can get one of these for $70, and forget the liquids in your case.
December 4, 2006 9:51:33 PM

Ya the problem was there was less then 1/4" from the fan of the Ti500 to the Voodoo 2. (all the other PCI slots were in use at the time.) so it burnt out the fan on the ti500 (Which showed its effects with artifacts while playing Giants)

After that a whole slew of problems came about. I ended up selling it as a work machine since it worked great for anything that wasnt graphical.

I know that 965 looks great vs the newer but less great reviewed 975 but does it suport quad cores and crossfire?

I might just get a 8800GTS but I do want an R600 in the future so again crossfire? lol

And as far as water cooling. I can get the Thermaltake Bigwater SE for $100 so why not spend a tad more for a quieter and cooler running setup.

I will only have a few fans on the case. 1 in the side, 1 in the PSU, one on the top, and maby 1 for the harddrives.
Related resources
December 4, 2006 10:19:30 PM

Quote:
Ok well like my title states. Im building a new system real soon and im just not as sure what to get as I was when I got my last system.

My current comp is already sold for $1K so im happy about that. Stats are <----

Anyway Im probably going to go the E6600 route like everyone else (Untill the quad cores come down. I multitask like a mofo lol)

I am going to use the Thermaltake Bigwater SE kit on this new system just like im using now on my P4. Love it as it keeps my proc cool and quiets everything down considerably. Yes I am going to overclock it and hope to get 3.4Ghz stable as I am running now. My comp hasnt crashed from hardware in over 6 months.

I was looking to get some good CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
If anyone recomends better im open. Money is still an object but im looking to spend around 2K total on this setup. (Saw the P5B Deluxe can use Kingston PC2-8500 HyperX memory.. Kinda sexy looking number there)

I need some recomendations on a goood power supply that will work great now and in the future with an R600 Crossfire setup on a quad core. Hopefully its also one that looks clean or is a modular one. I am soo sick of all the wires in my case.

The motherboard... thats whats got me hanging.. What one should I get? I want crossfire and the only board manufacture I have used is Asus. I love them. Everything I have used from them has performed top notch. CUSL-2, P4T-E, P4T533-C, P4P800, They all have been great. (P4T-E died from a graphics card stupidity setup. Geforce 3 Ti500 didnt like to be squeezed with a Voodoo 2 and i think the heat and whatnot caused issues with both the Ti500 and the Motherboard)

So I was planning on staying with Asus still. Problem is I want quad core capabilites as well as crossfire support so Im stuck between the P5B Deluxe or the P5W DH Deluxe. The P5W States its Quad core ready and crossfire ready (hopefully crossfire capable with the R600 as well.) While lots of good has been said about the P5B Deluxe. Though it doesnt look quad core capable nor crossfire but if someone can prove me wrong Id be happy to use it.

Lastly Im waiting out for the R600 but in the meantime what should I get to tide me over as well as give me a nice upgrade from my 7800GS I have now. NFS carbon doesnt even run good on my comp anymore lol.

I was thinking 1 1950/1900XT (maby XTX) but whatever gives me the best bang for the buck here would be appreciated. Heck im even tempted to get an 8800GTX untill the R600 comes out. I really want my comp to scream for a while.

Other than that I have 2 74gb Raptors standing buy, I will be carrying over my X-Fi sound card, and my Pioneer DVD Burner.

Lots to read but I need some help on which way I really want to go. This setup may look temporrary but I want it to last me 2 years top of the line if possible. I do a lot of Video Editing as well as gaming at 1680X1050 and im sick of my 10-40FPS limits. I want to be up there with most eveything maxed out.

you would get an 8800gtx then swap it out for an R600? why? thats probably going to be expensive and pointless. No-one even knows what the R600 will be like yet and the 8800GTX is a definate winner. Besides if you've already got one and you find you need even more performance, it would be cheaper to just get another and go SLI than get two R600's.
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2006 3:59:00 AM

I want to hear more about why you had a VooDoo 2 hooked up to a Ti500???
WTF where you thinking????

Also, the 965 does support quad core http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/11/20/msi_quad_core_motherb... but not sli. Although quad core won't help you mutch while gaming, it might help you with the video editing.

If you are worried about sli or crossfire in the future, just get a 8800Gtx now. It will give you more than enough power, and is already cpu limited. You most likley would not gain mutch more performance from a sli setup with current games. This also means that in a year when you get a bigger cpu, the gpu can show some more performance when you need it.
December 5, 2006 4:28:20 AM

Well the reason I paired a Voodoo 2 with a Ti500 back in the P4 1.8 Days (the RDRAM days. ahh.....) Was because I still had a few good Glide games I wanted to play. It worked like a charm, but like I said the Ti500 took a dump with the motherboard following not far behind, followed by a few issues I could never fix with the next motherboard and graphics cards.. its a long story.

The voodoo 2 however still works great to this day playing games like Mechwarrior 2 Mercs, Driver, Quake 2, And a few other great games of old time.

Sure I might get a 8800GTS but I really am not worried about the graphics as much as im worried about a motherboard that will overclock as well as stay stable like the comp I have now. And Crossfire would be really nice since we dont know but can expect the R600 to kick some major a$$.
!