johnnywadd

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I am very new to the world of wireless. I have a belkin router as well as a pci card running on a home setup and was wondering if the download rate would be better if I purchased a router higher than 54 mbps. My cable connection is rated at 100mbps. Just curious, thanks.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
If you truely have a 100 megabit connection then a faster router will give you faster downloads.

Keep in mind most wireless connections usually operate at a fraction of the marketed rate. In addition most hardware routers can not route at 100 Mbit/sec.

See:
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/03/31/hardware_router_chart/page2.html

If you want a taste for what you download speed would be you could try a direct wired connection to your internet connections.

JJW

Zakkas

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I would also check your Windows firewall settings, normally it prompts you when something it doesn't know is trying to access the Internet. If your Belkin Router has a firewall I would also check that. What P2P program are you running?

Checking your download speed would be a good idea. www.speakeasy.net has a nice tester. At the bottom of the page there is a link that says "speed test." If the rate is low I would check with RoadRunner to make sure your getting what your paying for.