web sites - text size

I am ' visually challenged' ! in modern speak i.e. I am short sighted and
have my text size on the box set to the largest setting. Unfortunately this
does not seem to affect web pages which are often so small as to be
unreadable to me. Is there any way for me to enlarge them?

PeteP
6 answers Last reply
More about sites text size

    Try holding down the Ctrl button and scrolling the mouse
    wheel down while viewing the web page.

    Start All Programs Accessories Accessibility
    Accessibility Wizard

    Web site designers often "lock" the text size on their pages
    because they want it to always look a certain way. You can
    have Windows over-ride those settings and the wizard will
    make this easy to do.

    You can also experiment with different, easier to see fonts
    and not just size changes.

    "Peter Pendleton" <peter.pendleton@btinternet.com> wrote in
    message news:crg2dg$3ro$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
    |I am ' visually challenged' ! in modern speak i.e. I am
    short sighted and
    | have my text size on the box set to the largest setting.
    Unfortunately this
    | does not seem to affect web pages which are often so small
    as to be
    | unreadable to me. Is there any way for me to enlarge
    them?

    | PeteP

    "Peter Pendleton" <peter.pendleton@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >I am ' visually challenged' ! in modern speak i.e. I am short sighted and
    >have my text size on the box set to the largest setting. Unfortunately this
    >does not seem to affect web pages which are often so small as to be
    >unreadable to me. Is there any way for me to enlarge them?

    You can change the font size via View > Text Size. Or create a style
    sheet for web pages. For more help, you should visit an Internet
    Explorer group like

    --
    (tm)

    Very many thanks for the suggestions - particularly from Jim Macklin. They
    are much appreciated.

    PeteP
    > Start All Programs Accessories Accessibility
    > Accessibility Wizard
    >
    > Web site designers often "lock" the text size on their pages
    > because they want it to always look a certain way. You can
    > have Windows over-ride those settings and the wizard will
    > make this easy to do.
    >
    > You can also experiment with different, easier to see fonts
    > and not just size changes.

    > "Peter Pendleton" <peter.pendleton@btinternet.com> wrote in
    > message news:crg2dg$3ro$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
    > |I am ' visually challenged' ! in modern speak i.e. I am
    > short sighted and
    > | have my text size on the box set to the largest setting.
    > Unfortunately this
    > | does not seem to affect web pages which are often so small
    > as to be
    > | unreadable to me. Is there any way for me to enlarge
    > them?
    > |
    > | PeteP

    You're most welcome.
    Here is the HELP on accessibility (F1 or Help in Windows
    Explorer or IE or OE)
    Accessibility for people with disabilities
    Microsoft is committed to making its products and services
    easier for everyone to use. The following articles provide
    information on features, products, and services that make
    Microsoft Windows operating systems more accessible for
    people with disabilities:

    Customizing Windows for people with disabilities

    Microsoft services for people who are deaf or
    hard-of-hearing

    Microsoft documentation in alternative formats

    Utilities to enhance accessibility

    Getting more accessibility information

    Note

    a.. This information applies only if you acquired this
    Microsoft product in the United States. If you obtained this
    product outside the United States, your package contains a
    subsidiary information card, Help file, or other
    documentation listing Microsoft support services, telephone
    numbers, and addresses. You can contact your subsidiary to
    find out whether the type of products and services described
    in these Help topics are available in your area.

    "Peter Pendleton" <peter.pendleton@btinternet.com> wrote in
    message news:crgria$8rt$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
    | Very many thanks for the suggestions - particularly from
    Jim Macklin. They
    | are much appreciated.
    |
    | PeteP
    in message
    | > Start All Programs Accessories Accessibility
    | > Accessibility Wizard
    | >
    | > Web site designers often "lock" the text size on their
    pages
    | > because they want it to always look a certain way. You
    can
    | > have Windows over-ride those settings and the wizard
    will
    | > make this easy to do.
    | >
    | > You can also experiment with different, easier to see
    fonts
    | > and not just size changes.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "Peter Pendleton" <peter.pendleton@btinternet.com> wrote
    in
    | > message news:crg2dg$3ro$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
    | > |I am ' visually challenged' ! in modern speak i.e. I am
    | > short sighted and
    | > | have my text size on the box set to the largest
    setting.
    | > Unfortunately this
    | > | does not seem to affect web pages which are often so
    small
    | > as to be
    | > | unreadable to me. Is there any way for me to enlarge
    | > them?
    | > |
    | > | PeteP
    | > |
    | > |

    begin 666 note.gif
    M1TE&.#EA"@`*`+/_`(V,C?__S/_,`/\%!?]=7<# P-/3T\# P(6%A0("`@``
    M`````````````````````"'Y! $```4`+ `````*``H`0 0H$,AI#AD@Z)U*
    AR1HB)(8'<N,7&EJG;JV P4GZ&@D2(";<>HF@,.B)```[
    `
    end

    Tools - Internet Options - Accessability and tick Font Sizes (and probably font style too unless you like read obscure fonts on some sites). You can also specify a style sheet. A stylesheet is a text file called something.css. This is one. P (a paragraph) inheirits from body. A (Anchor ie a link) inheirits from P (if it's in a paragraph else from body or from a table if in a table). Tables DO NOT inheirit from Body (netscape made a mistake and this is for netscape compatability). Just delete the terms and trailing semicolon you don't want. You can use percentage (%), or specify pixels (px) or specify points (pt). Here in Body I specify 100% (of whatever the IE default is). Specifing percentage allows Text Size (View - Text Sze or Ctrl + scroll the scroll wheel) commands to work. Specifing points or pixels (or in, cm, twips) gets you exactly that and Text Size does not overrule. The site you have problems with were designed by idiot graphic artists not computer people. With the sample you probably should remove all the non font size, family, and colour statements (and maybe also leave in text-align - that's a purely personal preference) as some sites will format really wierd with some margins being added to others.

    BODY {font-size :100%;font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;color: black;
    background-color: white;
    margin-top:0; margin-left:0pt; margin-right:0pt ; text-align:Justify}
    P {margin-left:40pt;margin-right:10pt}
    H2 {font-size: 125%;font-weight:bold;margin-left:10pt;margin-right:10pt; text-align:Left}
    H3 {font-size: 115%; font-weight:bold;margin-left:20pt;margin-right:10pt; text-align:Left}
    H4 {font-size: 105%;font-weight:bold;margin-left:40pt;margin-right:10pt; text-align:Left}
    H4.main {font-size: 105%;font-weight:bold;margin-left:20pt;margin-right:10pt; text-align:Left}
    H5 {font-size: 95%;font-weight:bold;margin-left:40pt;margin-right:10pt;
    A {font-size: 85%;color: black;font-weight:bold; text-decoration: none;cursor: hand}
    A.header {font-size:100%;color: white;font-weight:bold; text-decoration: none;;cursor: hand}
    A:hover {font-size: 85%;color: red;font-weight:bold; text-decoration: none;;cursor: hand}
    TABLE {font-size: 90%; text-align:left; margin-left:40pt;margin-right:10pt;background-color: transparent; width:90%}

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Peter Pendleton" <peter.pendleton@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:crg2dg$3ro$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
    >I am ' visually challenged' ! in modern speak i.e. I am short sighted and
    > have my text size on the box set to the largest setting. Unfortunately this
    > does not seem to affect web pages which are often so small as to be
    > unreadable to me. Is there any way for me to enlarge them?
    >
    > PeteP

Microsoft Windows XP