Need PSU suggestions

crazyj

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
Last night I went to turn my computer on and it started loading windows and rebooted after two passes of the loading progress bar. Then I turned everything off and tried again and it worked so I brushed it off as one of those random things that happen sometimes w/ computers. Then today I went to turn it on and it did it about 4-5 times. So i turned it off and then left it alone for a few minutes. I came back 2-3 minutes later and tried and it booted right up, no problem. Could my PSU be going bad? The history for the PSU in my case was never spectacular so that's the first thing that came to mind. Here's my system specs.

AMD X2 4800+
Biostar TForce6100-939 microatx motherboard
Aspire X-QPACK-Black microatx case 420 watt Stock PSU (although PSU itself says 450W max power)
eVga 7800GTX-KO, 490MHz core, 650(1300)MHz memory 256MB RAM
Netgear Wireless USB 802.11g WPN111 108Mbps
OCZ 2GB Platinum kit 2-3-2-5
Creative Labs X-Fi XtremeMusic
Logitech Precision PC Gaming Headset
Logitech X-230 2.1 Stereo Speaker System(dont have room for 5.1 setup yet)
19" Widescreen XEROX LCD monitor 8ms Response time
G15 Logitech Gaming Keyboard
Razer Copperhead Tempest Blue
37GB WD Raptor(Windows & Appz)
74GB WD Raptor(Games)
250GB WD USB 2.0 Hard drive(Downloaded stuff, storage, etc.)

Also if you guys think it may be my PSU, could you suggest a few that would fit in my case? The depth needs to be 5.25" or less on account my DLDVD-RW drive would be in the way. or maybe suggest a DLDVD-RW thats like 6" or less. But I'd really rather not incur that extra expense of having to replace both PSU and DL-DVD-RW.

Thanks in advance for checking out my problem.

crazyj

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
I ran Memtest86, the one that comes built in my mobo, and the first run it came up with 22 errors. I swapped my memory sticks and tried again and left it running when I went to sleep. I had done 7 runs, it was working on the 8th, and the first 2 went just fine. then run 3 had an error on test 7, then run 5, 6 and 7 had one. You think it'd indictive of a PSU going bad or just memory messing up over time? Could poor PSU performance cause this? I left it running while I came to work to see if any more come up. I forgot to look if the errors were on the same address or not, was runnin late this morning. I'll do that when I get home.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Poor PSU's can cause system instability in general, so it might affect memory, although I'm not certain. If possible, swap with a different computer and run memtest there to make sure. But you do have decent ram, while your PSU is fairly shoddy...

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
try memtest with one stick out, and then the other.... if it only fails with one stick and not the other, then there is a chance you might have bad memory.
But the PSU might be the real culprit. If both fail, probably psu.

wes

crazyj

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
Well, when i got home I had about 17 errors total including the ones earlier from overnight. I have version 1 of the platinum kit but it autodetects teh voltage at 2.66 and OCZ recommended i use 2.7v. I'm pretty damn sure the memory is okay.

So back to my original question. Any suggestions on power supplies? heh

Around 5"(127mm) would be the max depth I'd want. Otherwise I'd need a new DLDVD-RW. I would suppose it needs to be around 550W+ maybe even enough for an 8800 should i want to upgrade in the future.

My current PSU dimensions are 116 x 149 x 87 mm. Something close to that would be ideal but not totally necessary.

crazyj

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
Okay I've increased the size of the depth(or length as some people list it) to about 5.5"(140mm). I did some looking around and less than that is extremely hard to find.

So any recommendations? 150mm Width, 140mm depth(length), 87mm height

I couldnt find dimensions on that one you listed mpilchfamily.

I seen a coolmax that was almost perfect but reviews on it's reliability were dismal.

crazyj

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
What dimentions are you looking for. It's a standard PSU and will fit any ATX case.

Okay, it finally happened. the PSU no longer has enough power to even boot my comp up. It gets to the windows loading screen and resets. There's a report of the voltages after my POST screen and I've seen the 12V rail @ 11.97 and as low as 11.77. so ya, It's dead. I almost threw it when I took it out of my case.

Alright then. I'm looking for something with roughly these specs. the Depth(some call it Length) is strict. It cannot be more than the standard 5.5"(140mm). Width is around 5.9"(150mm) and Height is 3.4"(86mm)

One that I was looking at is Cooler Master eXtreme Power 600W but I can't find the maximum Amps for the 12V for it. Main reason I was looking at that is cause I could get it at Compusa and have it today. I want to get back up and running today. I'm at work right now so hopefully I can get some info from you guys and use that and on my way home pick one up.

Thanks again everyone for the help. I hope you all had a good holiday season. I hope you had a Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas or Happy/Merry whatever else you may celebrate. =)

That X-Qpack 420w is really a short standard ATX unit

Jonnyguru (X-Qpack 420w review)[/url]"]
rear_of_unit.jpg

If we look at the two from the rear, we can see the Aspire is still a regular ATX form factor.

compare_sizes.jpg

Here's the Aspire (top) sitting next to a normal sized Powmax. The Aspire is easily 3/4 the depth.

So a real ATX unit like the one you are looking at will do fine, but you may sacrifice the optical drive altogether... Unless you get some kind of external usb/ide adaptor or something.

if you really want to get up and running today, maybe get that PSU and run it with the lid off the case and / or the cd drive "hanging out" until you can get a decent matx case like this Coolermaster RC-541 for $55 shipped at zzf