Questions on new computer, need help with answers.

CrystalShip

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Never posteed here before but have come to the site for many answers. Anyways it is time for me to build a new PC and have some quesitons. I will use if for multiple things but what it to preform well when gaming.

I would like to get the Asus Crosshair motherboard and since you can do raid 5 on it I would like to do that. I don't have any expierence with it though. Do I need to have an individual hard drive for the OS? I have a bunch of 160 gig Seagate serial ata/300 7200 rpm hard drives, how many would you recommend I use. I don't need tons of space but I could use up to 5. Is there anything else I should know about doing raid 5 or is it as simple as telling the computer.

I think I will go with a x2 4200 or 4600 (socket AM2 - obviously) unless there is one faster that is better priced. What would you recommend?

The only other question is RAM. I think I read somewhere about ram and the Crosshair motherboard but don't remember what. Anyways I was thinking about getting two gigs of this - http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp?imodule=BL2KIT6464AA1005&WSMD=BL2KIT6464AA1005&WSPN=BL2KIT6464AA1005 It will take all four slots but is the cheapest I have been able to find. Will it work or is there a better solution?

Any type of follow up would be much appriciated.

Thanks.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
3 or more hard-drives are required more RAID5, the RAID drivers are prompted for installation when you load the OS.
There is too much information to be covered teaching you about RAID when there are dozens of articles already written circling the web just waiting to teach you everything you wanted to know about RAID but were afraid to ask..
Run with the 4200+ unless you run across a open-box OEM 5200+ like i did for a great price, anything bigger than the 4200 is better off swinging on Intel's vine from a price/performance stand-point.
2 gig's is optimal and recommended for Vista, try to find a pair of 1gig sticks instead of 4x512.
The Crosshair is designed to use 1.8V RAM but you can use up to 2.0V RAM w/o burning up the DIMM sockets if you adjust the BIOS correctly.
Don't buy stuff from the manufacturer, it's usually cheaper from a e-tailer like Newegg.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Never posteed here before but have come to the site for many answers. Anyways it is time for me to build a new PC and have some quesitons. I will use if for multiple things but what it to preform well when gaming.

I would like to get the Asus Crosshair motherboard and since you can do raid 5 on it I would like to do that. I don't have any expierence with it though. Do I need to have an individual hard drive for the OS? I have a bunch of 160 gig Seagate serial ata/300 7200 rpm hard drives, how many would you recommend I use. I don't need tons of space but I could use up to 5. Is there anything else I should know about doing raid 5 or is it as simple as telling the computer.

I think I will go with a x2 4200 or 4600 (socket AM2 - obviously) unless there is one faster that is better priced. What would you recommend?

The only other question is RAM. I think I read somewhere about ram and the Crosshair motherboard but don't remember what. Anyways I was thinking about getting two gigs of this - http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp?imodule=BL2KIT6464AA1005&WSMD=BL2KIT6464AA1005&WSPN=BL2KIT6464AA1005 It will take all four slots but is the cheapest I have been able to find. Will it work or is there a better solution?

Any type of follow up would be much appriciated.

Thanks.

I would really recommend going with a Core 2 Duo from Intel. They run like a beast! Yes, get 2x1 GB sticks instead of 4x512 MB.