ROM update failure problem

March 9, 2005 1:34:43 AM

Hi,
I have a problem on ipaq 1940 whereby its screen always remains in white
screen with hp logo in the middle and two lines at the top of the screen
showing "1.07". It happened when I updating the ROM version from 1.00 to
1.10 sync via Infra red port, the process didn't complete and it became the
white screen. I repeated the update but still getting "ERROR [260] : UPDATE
ERROR", tried on hard reset, activesync & removing battery but nothing
works. Greatly appreciate anybody can help this, really need help here.
Thanks alots!
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:34:44 AM

The news is not good... it sounds as if the update has failed at a point
where the bootloader is gone so it is unlikely that the process can be
restarted to make another attempt.

I would suggest that you establish a usb connection and attempt to run
the process again even if you have to find a different computer with usb
capabilities.

Next step would be the manually execute a hard reset on the unit and, if
it still does not boot, retry the flash.

If that is unsuccessful, the _only_ option is to return the unit to HP
to have them flash the rom chip directly

fwiw, think you are the first person that I have every heard who has
attempted a rom update via IR. If HP tech support suggested doing so, I
would point to that fact if they want to charge you for the reflash.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:34:44 AM

Hi
Bad news, indeed. I think the problem lies on the internal IR management.The
USB-serial activesync connection is the primary method to get the flash
process finished without troubles. In spite that regular Activesync activity
can be performed using almost any available connection, from IR to LAN
adaptors, I guess if you are talking about flashing ROMs, those options are
narrowed to USB-serial, the primary way to connect the device. Perhaps the
flashing process can start on *every* activesync connection, but due to the
invasive nature of changing the ROM's contents, it only can finish
successfully when an USB or serial connection is used.
Try hard reset the device, leave the battery off for several minutes, try to
start the device again. Put it on its cradle and try to establish an
activesync connection, no matter the screen is on or not. If all this fails,
I'm afraid the only option you have is to send it to HP.
Good luck,
Carlos

"Thomas" <tmmyb@hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
> Hi,
> I have a problem on ipaq 1940 whereby its screen always remains in white
> screen with hp logo in the middle and two lines at the top of the screen
> showing "1.07". It happened when I updating the ROM version from 1.00 to
> 1.10 sync via Infra red port, the process didn't complete and it became
the
> white screen. I repeated the update but still getting "ERROR [260] :
UPDATE
> ERROR", tried on hard reset, activesync & removing battery but nothing
> works. Greatly appreciate anybody can help this, really need help here.
> Thanks alots!
March 9, 2005 1:34:44 AM

"Thomas" <tmmyb@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> It happened when I updating the ROM version from 1.00 to
> 1.10 sync via Infra red port, the process didn't complete and it became
> the
> white screen.

Infrared port Rom update - cool! Were you running it from a
partially-charged battery as well?

The good news is that it *almost* worked.

If you can sync at all via usb there is some hope, otherwise (as others have
said) HP might need to flash it.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:34:45 AM

In article <OwzA7F$IFHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, "Beverly Howard
[Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com@?.?.invalid> writes
>The news is not good... it sounds as if the update has failed at a
>point where the bootloader is gone so it is unlikely that the process
>can be restarted to make another attempt.
>
>I would suggest that you establish a usb connection and attempt to run
>the process again even if you have to find a different computer with
>usb capabilities.
>
>Next step would be the manually execute a hard reset on the unit and,
>if it still does not boot, retry the flash.
>
>If that is unsuccessful, the _only_ option is to return the unit to HP
>to have them flash the rom chip directly

Not only HP:

http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/view_product.php?product=36...

In the US, these people may be able to help:

http://www.pdasmart.com/index.htm

--
David Mahon
March 10, 2005 9:10:14 PM

Thanks all for the advice. Hard reset, removing battery to drain the memory
doesn't works, activesync can't detects the ipaq.

How to DIY flash the rom? What program can be used for ipaq 1940?

I've done a search on website, there should a way to recover it by by
reflash the rom using programs such as Mtty.EXE, Host11.Exe. Have anyone
tried these before? I tried on Mtty.exe via USB (selected the Port:
\\.\WCEUSBSH001 ) but the text writting (for the command) windows doesn't
appears though. USB cable connected & hard reset performed as well but no
improvement. Anything wrong?

> > It happened when I updating the ROM version from 1.00 to
> > 1.10 sync via Infra red port, the process didn't complete and it became
> > the
> > white screen.
>

> Infrared port Rom update - cool! Were you running it from a
> partially-charged battery as well?
>
> The good news is that it *almost* worked.
>
> If you can sync at all via usb there is some hope, otherwise (as others
have
> said) HP might need to flash it.
>

> Hi,
> I have a problem on ipaq 1940 whereby its screen always remains in white
> screen with hp logo in the middle and two lines at the top of the screen
> showing "1.07". It happened when I updating the ROM version from 1.00 to
> 1.10 sync via Infra red port, the process didn't complete and it became
the
> white screen. I repeated the update but still getting "ERROR [260] :
UPDATE
> ERROR", tried on hard reset, activesync & removing battery but nothing
> works. Greatly appreciate anybody can help this, really need help here.
> Thanks alots!

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 9:10:15 PM

> Thanks all for the advice. Hard reset, removing battery to drain the
> memory
> doesn't works, activesync can't detects the ipaq.
>
> How to DIY flash the rom? What program can be used for ipaq 1940?
>
> I've done a search on website, there should a way to recover it by by
> reflash the rom using programs such as Mtty.EXE, Host11.Exe. Have anyone
> tried these before? I tried on Mtty.exe via USB (selected the Port:
> \\.\WCEUSBSH001 ) but the text writting (for the command) windows doesn't
> appears though. USB cable connected & hard reset performed as well but no
> improvement. Anything wrong?

If you haven't already check out this topic. They sugggest making certain
that wcescomm (activesync) is not running when executing rom updates,
otherwise AS grabs the USB port.

http://ppcmag.com/forum/post.asp?method=Reply&TOPIC_ID=...

One thing I noticed from here are the mechanics to flash from SD card -this
might be worth checking out.

Good Luck
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 9:10:15 PM

fwiw, the "fundamental" issue at this point is that there is nothing
remaining in rom on the PocketPC side to establish a communication link
necessary to receive the rom image.

Once this loading software has been erased form rom (by the previous
failed process,) there is no longer any way to use a usb connection to
populate the ram and the need is then to populate the rom chips with
hardware designed to write to the chips directly.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 9:10:16 PM

message news:o DPOF5ZJFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> fwiw, the "fundamental" issue at this point is that there is nothing
> remaining in rom on the PocketPC side to establish a communication link
> necessary to receive the rom image.
>
> Once this loading software has been erased form rom (by the previous
> failed process,) there is no longer any way to use a usb connection to
> populate the ram and the need is then to populate the rom chips with
> hardware designed to write to the chips directly.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

FWIW, At first I thought the same thing, but it appears that this screen
("white screen with hp logo in the middle and two lines at the top of the
screen showing "1.07" - i.e a "parrot" screen if I read the nomenclature
correct ) is recoverable in a lot of cases. The link I provided in this
thread discusses it a bit. Also to note is that some units have the
capacity to write an image with the SD card, depending of course exactly how
bad the rom image in question is trashed. But from the information I can
find the unit is not exactly blank, otherwise it would have different
behavior.

I do know one thing - this issue has been educational for me. Just when I
thought I understood the nature of failed ROM updates too.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 9:10:17 PM

Thanks for the additional information.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:00:20 PM

message news:u9P4phcJFHA.1956@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the additional information.

Just glad to give a tiny something back - I've picked up a lot here, many
things from yourself. :)
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:05:56 PM

"Thomas" <tmmyb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks all for the advice. Hard reset, removing battery to drain the
> memory
> doesn't works, activesync can't detects the ipaq.
>
> How to DIY flash the rom? What program can be used for ipaq 1940?
>
> I've done a search on website, there should a way to recover it by by
> reflash the rom using programs such as Mtty.EXE, Host11.Exe. Have anyone
> tried these before? I tried on Mtty.exe via USB (selected the Port:
> \\.\WCEUSBSH001 ) but the text writting (for the command) windows doesn't
> appears though. USB cable connected & hard reset performed as well but no
> improvement. Anything wrong?

Mine has same issue.. back to HP if these don't work:

1. Drain Battery
2. Reflash rom with mtty.exe
3. Hard & Soft Reset

Happened during a backup with the inbuilt sprite thingy..

I'll let you know the quote!
!