High frequency sound from computer

El_Robbo

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
I am hearing a high frequency sound coming from my new computer. I am thinking that most likely it's the power supply, but I cannot pinpoint the location. It's not something that you hear in one hear and not the other, it sounds like it's originating in the middle of my brain. It's such a high frequency that I doubt everyone could hear it, although I'm sure it would drive a dog crazy. Kind of like the sound my 6 year old CRT television makes, but not nearly as loud. I'm not entirely sure that there's necessarily a problem, maybe it's just a noise that my components make. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem may be, how to better pinpoint the source, and whether or not something is wrong. Here are my specs:

EVGA 680i
Silverstone Zeus 850W
QX6700
EVGA nVidia 8800 GTX x 2 (SLI)
Coolermaster RC-830 (1 fan front, 1 fan back)
X-Fi Plantinum
Western Digital Raptor 150 GB x 3
Plextor PX-755SA

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
That'd be anyone's guess. I've heard sounds like that come from a few electronics myself, like you said about your old tv.

About the only thing you can do if it's really that annoying, is try a different psu or swap out other parts until you pinpoint the source. It could also be a fan somewhere.

El_Robbo

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
I tried unplugging all of the fans, one at a time, and the noise never went away. My guess is that it's the power supply. I've heard similar complaints about other power supplies, but I haven't heard of any complaints about the Silverstone 850W. My real concern is that it's something other than the power supply, like the motherboard. If it's not the power supply, it could be a very time consuming project trying to identify and fix the problem.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
As the family guy said, you might want to replace the psu. A high pitched sound coming from it (if it's the psu), can't be a good thing.

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
I don't know if this helps with your problem, but a few years back my dad's computer was making an awful high-pitched noise, and it turned out to be the hard drive. It was working just fine, but the noise was terrible.

El_Robbo

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Thanks to everyone for your input. This weekend I'll probably take my computer to the store where I purchased my components and have them pinpoint the problem. If it's the power supply, and I decide to go with another model, does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement? It must be at least 850W and have four 6-pin PCI-E connectors (because of the two 8800GTXs).

TRENDING THREADS