Amd 65 nm CPU's launched

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I'm was very confused, these posts are popping up all over the web right now, yet no one has the press release cited, or where they got he information. If anyone can please find the AMD released notes about this, that would be a big help.
http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196601437
Notice when this was posted. (12/05/2006 12:01 AM EST)
Right when 12:00 came along! and here:
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/12/05/amd_intros_65nm_cpus/
Posted : December 5, 2006 00:03
Right after Midnight! I see everyone saying it, but no one is citing any source. So where is a source? Could everyone just have posted based on speculation?

EDIT *
*Looked On the amd website...*
www.amd.com

mpjesse

Splendid
Bah... all 65nm is going to do is increase capacity for AMD. Don't expect any performance gains or anything else useful. Overclockability may be better though...

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Bah... all 65nm is going to do is increase capacity for AMD. Don't expect any performance gains or anything else useful. Overclockability may be better though...

Thanks... -_- because I didn't understand that(sarcasm).

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
In fact, I am a little bit disappointed with the transition.

AMD should transit all the x2's production to 65nm fabrication process now.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
According to AMD, the new chips will draw 30% less power than the 90nm parts. That is a huge advantage.

AMD chips made on the 65-nanometer process will consume about 30 percent less energy than the same chips produced on the 90-nanometer process when running at the same speed. In the first chips shipped on this process, virtually all of the benefit comes in reduced power consumption, said Nick Kepler, vice president of logic technology development at AMD.
LINK (via c|net)

We will find out soon enough if this is true.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
It looks like to me that the Inq cannot do math, because 12x of 183 is roughly 0.7 (or 70%), 0.7 is a natural scaling factor to go 65 nm but the die size should be 90 mm^2 + change for a 65 nm straight up shrink....
We shall see. The Inq article is less enthusiastic and more skeptical than I expected. It's also unsigned. Apparently Mr. Valich no longer has ownership of the story after his recent screw-up. :)

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Meh... Inquirer...

AMD is just trying to get people to pay attention to it again especially with their spectacular failure of a 4x4 launch... well, not really failure, but there was little to no enthusiasm at all. They're just saying one thing after another hoping that something will whip the mass into a frenzy, and the Barcelona news was somewhat succesful...

This however, is expected, and kinda boring... we know they were planning to go 65nm, and the day doesn't really matter that much since it still probably won't make up for the performance difference with the C2D.

Still waiting for more quad-core news...

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
The usual PR trick of releasing a product before it´s finished to keep the consumer from buying the competitors products. Nice.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
The thing is, most consumers don't keep up with tech news at all, or only the mainstream versions, so I'm not too certain what this "release" is supposed to do... Consumers and Servers is where the money is, and consumers just buy from Tier 1 integrators so this "release" is useless for them, and servers have their own contracts with same Tier 1 integrators, so yet again, this "release" has no bearing...

Hmmmmm, then again, I'm not a marketing major.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Well, might be useless for end user, but might be that we won't see them, rather they are shipping all available to box makers.... and such. But who knows.

wes

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Meh, I would think they would at least have some for review sites at least, they can't be leaving the enthusiast market totally out in the cold...

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Meh, I would think they would at least have some for review sites at least, they can't be leaving the enthusiast market totally out in the cold...

I guess the rules have changed for AMD these days. Maybe it's hard for them to adjust to playing 2nd fiddle, like too much ego damage or something like that.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I understand your point, but, we are a small market in comparison to the companies like Dell and HP. I am sure that since AMD just aquired them, they want to keep them as happy as possible. The reason I think this, is because we are a small market, and Dell is advertising for them, while paying to use there CPU's. I have seen more AMD ads on TV since Dell, thn I have probably ever seen in the past. It just makes sense to send the cpu's out to those who are paying the bills, then we get to have them. As much I have want to play with one myself, I can't blame them for possibly doing what I think they are. Also, didn't Intel do this, to a lesser extent with Core 2? Thought I remember people talking about buying low end Dell's and such, so they could get there hands on one.

wes

I think they'll get a little headroom for higher clock speeds, but I but they're binning the hell out of them and perhaps saving the better ones for the next model number.

So sad to see my Socket 939 slowly disappearing from retail!

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
If these chips are any good at overclocking I think AMD would have at lest sent some to a few review sites. It seems the e-SiGe process slowed them down too much and now they have to use a more simple one. 90nm is still the better process. I know Anandtech reported that the first 65nm FX will be K8L.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Hmmm.. AMD is already having a shortage of proc's now that I think about it, so I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of these were going to the system integrators... but I can't see these same integrators specifically asking for the 65nm chips, since they're bound to cost a bit more than the older ones since AMD would most likely want to get rid of it's stock on hand... meh...

We just might see a bump in speed across the board with a bit lower TDP, but again, nothing drastic or earthshattering.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Other than original cost, wouldnt' they cost less for AMD to produce? Therefore, possibly costing less for the box makers, or costing the same with AMD making a larger profit? All speculation, I am just throwing this out for comments, not making any claims....

wes

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
The thing is, most consumers don't keep up with tech news at all, or only the mainstream versions, so I'm not too certain what this "release" is supposed to do... Consumers and Servers is where the money is, and consumers just buy from Tier 1 integrators so this "release" is useless for them, and servers have their own contracts with same Tier 1 integrators, so yet again, this "release" has no bearing...

Hmmmmm, then again, I'm not a marketing major.

You are assuming AMD is only fishing for the biggest groups. As you mentioned, servers won´t be affected since companies that build them are pretty good informed on what´s happening on the market. The second group are OEM system builders that get their dirty little fingers on the new hardware anyway and that are probably bound by contracts with the manufacturer to boot.

I assume AMD is a) fishing for people like us, that know what they buy and b) looking to get some positive PR going.
While enthusiasts and gamers might not be the biggest target group, they are still paying customers and they are the high profile group. If only a few hundred gamers decide to wait for a 65nm AMD Processor, the whole paper launch was worth it.