Sign in with
Your question

Some help with HIS X1950Pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 5, 2006 9:38:06 AM

I bought the following card a few days ago: HIS Radeon X1950PRO IceQ3 Turbo

It works perfectly fine (the fan is very silent), but whenever I start a task that puts any load on the card (gaming, watching video, etc), it starts making scratching/buzzing noise (sorry, I can't describe it very well). At first I thought the problem was the fan, but after using ATITool to increase the fan speed to 100% (without any other programs running), I only got a louder fan, but no funny noises. It seems to come from behind the fan...

The noise hasn't affected performance so far, but it still has me worried. Is it possible the card is damaged? Or has anybody experienced something similar? (both with the HIS card or X1950Pro's from other vendors)
I haven't overclocked or changed any of the stock settings, although it's factory OCed at 620/740MHz.

It's quite a hassle for me to get to the shop where I bought the card, so I'd appreciate any advice before I have to take that step.

More about : x1950pro

December 5, 2006 5:23:23 PM

hmmm, could it be a vibration effect of some sort ??
1st time i have heard tell of this... :?:

odds-on there are more better informed on 1950pro than i :) 
December 6, 2006 5:38:59 AM

hmmm, try to increase the fan speed through ati-tool slowly, maybe the noise isnt being caused by the fan going 100%, maybe its like 85% or 95%.
Related resources
December 6, 2006 8:14:25 AM

I've got the exact same card but haven't heard any weird noises so far (games etc.). Perhaps you should return it for another one..
December 6, 2006 8:24:33 AM

Quote:
hmmm, could it be a vibration effect of some sort ??

I also thought the card wasn't secured tightly enough or a loose cable was coming in contact with it at first, but that didn't seem to be the case.

Quote:
hmmm, try to increase the fan speed through ati-tool slowly, maybe the noise isnt being caused by the fan going 100%, maybe its like 85% or 95%.

I tried that, didn't produce the lawnmower noise.

Quote:
I've got the exact same card but haven't heard any weird noises so far (games etc.). Perhaps you should return it for another one..

Yeah :(  I'll be taking the long trip to the shop tomorrow, hopefully to get it replaced.

Thanks for the input, everyone :) 
December 6, 2006 7:53:45 PM

Quote:

Would you recommend this card? I currently have the Sapphire x1950 Pro and am experiencing crashing to a Standby mode that appears to be related to a defect in how that card handles heat and am considering replacing it with the HIS card?
December 6, 2006 10:48:05 PM

Quote:

Would you recommend this card? I currently have the Sapphire x1950 Pro and am experiencing crashing to a Standby mode that appears to be related to a defect in how that card handles heat and am considering replacing it with the HIS card?
Well I'm not sure if I should recommend it as I have no idea how the other x1950Pro cards compare to it, but I am happy with my choice so far. Default, straight out of the box, the card seems to handle everything I throw at it with flair (Oblivion, Far Cry, CivIV) and doesn't show any glitches, or make any weird noises whatsoever. The drawback however is that it's more expensive than the regular X1950Pro's while still remaining a mere stepping stone for the upcoming DX10 cards.
December 17, 2006 12:24:14 PM

Hey

The "buzzing" noises is definately not the fan. I have the X800gto, and whenever FEAR is running, i hear "electric buzzing" type noises. I found out that it is the power circuitry (capacitor and other power components). The reason for this is that so much power is going thru the card.

This is not a problem or defect with the cards.
December 30, 2006 12:20:25 AM

what version of ATi tool did u use to increase the fan speed? cause the latest one says : All NVIDIA and ATI cards except for "Radeon X1950 Pro" are supported in this release.
January 28, 2007 3:26:49 PM

Quote:
Hey

The "buzzing" noises is definately not the fan. I have the X800gto, and whenever FEAR is running, i hear "electric buzzing" type noises. I found out that it is the power circuitry (capacitor and other power components). The reason for this is that so much power is going thru the card.

I hate to blow your whistle on this, but it is the fan. Mine does exactly the same and after taking the whole thing apart the fan when its moving rattles, even without any casing around it. Its a cheap design.
January 28, 2007 3:43:15 PM

Your a little late, the last post in this thread is from over a month ago.
January 28, 2007 4:50:45 PM

Quote:
Hey

I have this exact same thing on my fireblade x800gto, i hear it with some things, like the ati tool artifact scanner, an some games.

Nothing to worry about, since my card never has become unstable.
January 28, 2007 6:00:33 PM

Quote:
Your a little late, the last post in this thread is from over a month ago.

Yeap, but still might help others.
!