XFX 7800 GS AGP Extreme Edition Performance Issue

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Performance
  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 5, 2006 4:34:13 PM

Hi there, I'm having trouble with my recently purchased XFX 7800 GS AGP Extreme Edition. I can happily play games such as Half Life 2 on high graphics, the frame rate staying around 50/60fps inside. However, as I continue to play, the frame rate begins to decrease, and I have found that even in the same room, in the exact same standing position, the frame rate can decrease to 20 to even 15fps. At this point it stays at this frame rate until I quit the game.

My system specifications are:

P4 3.0ghz HT
1gb RAM
200GB Hard disk space over two Maxtor HDD's (120gb + 80gb)
XFX Geforce 7800 GS AGP Extreme Edition
Latest Geforce Drivers

I don't think temperature is important - even while playing games, the card temperature hits 45 degrees peak. I wasn't sure if it was a PSU problem or not, I believe it is 350/400watt.

Hope you can help me out with this problem. Thanks in advance :) 

More about : xfx 7800 agp extreme edition performance issue

December 5, 2006 6:02:51 PM

Sorry to hear about the problem. What driver version are you currently using and have tried? This could be a video card problem or be a PSU issue with it having problems keeping up after continuous play. Let us know the brand, wattage rating and 12v rail amperage. For that card it is recommended to have about 400watts with about 20amps on the 12v rail. The temps do sound very good if you only get to about 45-50 under a load. I recommend starting a support ticket at www.xfxforce.com and/or calling in at 800-880-3225.

XFX Support
December 5, 2006 7:11:49 PM

Okay, I had a look and it's a 300watt FSB Group PSU, apparently - a make I've never heard. It came with the system, and I had no problems with my previous 6600, so I never changed it. I'm not sure how to find the 12v rail amperage, but by the looks of the PSU, it's not going to be a good result :p  I haven't tried any other driver other than the most recent offered by NVidia. Would it be worth trying a previous one?
December 5, 2006 7:12:05 PM

Quote:
Hi there, I'm having trouble with my recently purchased XFX 7800 GS AGP Extreme Edition. I can happily play games such as Half Life 2 on high graphics, the frame rate staying around 50/60fps inside. However, as I continue to play, the frame rate begins to decrease, and I have found that even in the same room, in the exact same standing position, the frame rate can decrease to 20 to even 15fps. At this point it stays at this frame rate until I quit the game.

My system specifications are:

P4 3.0ghz HT
1gb RAM
200GB Hard disk space over two Maxtor HDD's (120gb + 80gb)
XFX Geforce 7800 GS AGP Extreme Edition
Latest Geforce Drivers

I don't think temperature is important - even while playing games, the card temperature hits 45 degrees peak. I wasn't sure if it was a PSU problem or not, I believe it is 350/400watt.

Hope you can help me out with this problem. Thanks in advance :) 

I could see that from the none Extreme Edition. Check your video Drive to make sure its recognized the Extreme Edition else your running at a cool 375MHz. If your GPU is being miss recognized as the none Extreme Edition also would make sence for the low heat of 45 Degrees.

If this is the case you'll have to start your computer in safe mode and uninstall the drivers and then reload and try reinstalling. I would try installing from the latest update software from XFX.

Regardless of this card being a 7800 you need to dial back the settings as HL2 can put a hurt on mid range GPU's.
December 5, 2006 7:14:04 PM

The GPU is clocked at 440MHz and is running at that. The box it came in stated that it was the Extreme Edition also.

edit: In the Device Manager, it only states it's a 7800 GS - no Extreme Edition. Is this correct?
December 5, 2006 7:31:41 PM

WHen the frame rate hits it's lowest values, is your HD light blinking like crazy? You said you have two hard drives, I assume they're IDE. If you put them both on the same IDE channel, you're creating a bottleneck.
The HD is more often the limiting factor in performance, even with large amounts of RAM. Make sure your HDs are the masters of their respective IDE channels (dont connect them both to the same ribbon cable).
December 5, 2006 7:36:57 PM

Quote:
The GPU is clocked at 440MHz and is running at that. The box it came in stated that it was the Extreme Edition also.

edit: In the Device Manager, it only states it's a 7800 GS - no Extreme Edition. Is this correct?

If its at 440MHz then its correct. If you have your setting set like in the link you need to dial back on your settings as the GPU should only avg about 40FPS. This being the test demo which always shows high I could see you getting 15FPS in other maps.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&m...
December 6, 2006 6:28:25 PM

On Call of Duty 2 it now seems to retain a constant FPS, however, the game halts fairly frequently with a black screen.
December 7, 2006 2:23:47 PM

You can try previous drivers to see if that helps at all. You can locate them at www.nvidia.com in the driver archives. Also once you start a support ticket at www.xfxforce.com please let me know the number.

XFX Support
December 7, 2006 7:43:39 PM

Quote:
On Call of Duty 2 it now seems to retain a constant FPS, however, the game halts fairly frequently with a black screen.

OK, now that sounds like a PSU problem because halts mean short losses of power. Has your computer randomly restarted for no reason? If so windows is trying to tell you its protecting you hardware due to power loss or a spike. I would suggest trying another PSU.
December 7, 2006 8:20:32 PM

I think its the PSU, a friend of mine had a 6800xt modded to 12 pipes, And his 300W PSU wasnt enough, he played a game and then the game ran perfect, the other moment it went bad and slow and all.

So a new PSU wont harm you
December 10, 2006 5:20:23 PM

Yeah, it tends to restart for no reasons sometimes, then others I get blue screens - normally BAD_POOL_CALLER.
December 17, 2006 7:38:31 AM

Okay, new update - got myself a 460W PSU (500W peak) and I was happy at first - I was getting fantastic FPS in Call of Duty 2 (80FPS) and it remained like this for 10/15 minutes - however, after that, the FPS went down significantly to around 20/30FPS. How can I get a stable FPS throughout a game?
December 18, 2006 3:28:39 PM

Quote:
Regardless of this card being a 7800 you need to dial back the settings as HL2 can put a hurt on mid range GPU's.

I run HL2 on a similar system with a 7800GS at 2048x1536/4xAA with everything maxed out in the game settings; occasionally it might chug a little but otherwise it's perfectly playable.
December 20, 2006 2:36:26 PM

What framerate do you get as an average on HL2 with those settings? I've noticed that a similar system with a Geforce 6600GT gets a far better framerate than I receive.
December 21, 2006 11:05:38 PM

Word on the street is that nVidias 93.81 driver set has been known to cause slow downs. What have you got for drivers?
December 22, 2006 5:42:08 PM

93.71 at the moment. I've also tried the drivers that came on the CD (full uninstall then reinstall) and still no joy. I've heard rumours about an XFX Bios patch - any news on this?
December 22, 2006 6:06:57 PM

If the FPS go down, then I would say something is overheating.

Is there any card below the XFX? did you check the temp when is in load? what is the temp of the cpu?
December 23, 2006 9:02:40 PM

I'll leave it going tonight and let you know. Til then, I've been recommended altering the Aperture Size in the BIOS? It's on 32mb at the moment (256mb card) - will this make any difference?
December 23, 2006 9:10:53 PM

Yes, try that. I believe the BIOS aperture size has to match the video card memory so try it and see if that fixes your problem.
December 26, 2006 11:26:29 AM

Quote:
What framerate do you get as an average on HL2 with those settings?

Not sure how to get a frame-rate counter from HL2 :) . I ran the CS:Source stress test at 2048x1536 with 4xAA and that got 51fps.

Quote:
If the FPS go down, then I would say something is overheating.

Actually the 7800GS will run slow if it's _cold_, though dropping into slow-running temperatures (<38C) is unlikely if it's running a game.

Note that I am using a 256MB AGP aperture, and I'm still on 84.43 drivers as they work with Avid and many don't.
December 26, 2006 7:18:16 PM

It wasn't AGP Aperture after all - I can't find that. It was something to do with AGP, AGP Shared Size perhaps? Either way, it was greyed out to 32MB.

I have a P4S800-MX-SE Motherboard.

edit: Found out that by alt-tabbing off some games then coming back after a few minutes restores them to the expected frame rate. For example, Trackmania plays at 70 FPS, then goes down to around 50 after a few races. I alt-tab to Firefox, surf for about 5 minutes, come back to Trackmania to play at 70 FPS again.
December 26, 2006 8:33:03 PM

:?
December 26, 2006 9:31:24 PM

Quote:

edit: Found out that by alt-tabbing off some games then coming back after a few minutes restores them to the expected frame rate. For example, Trackmania plays at 70 FPS, then goes down to around 50 after a few races. I alt-tab to Firefox, surf for about 5 minutes, come back to Trackmania to play at 70 FPS again.

That heat is a bugger :wink:
December 27, 2006 8:04:08 AM

What heat though? I've noticed I get around perhaps 50/55 degrees on my 7800 GS on load, which is quite good - but I'm a bit wary of my P4's temperature. I have MSN running idle with Firefox open, it's been on for about half an hour and my CPU temp is 59/60 degrees. I was told, however, P4's run hot - but surely not this hot? Would a new CPU fan be worth purchasing? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

edit: I have the stock P4 CPU fan.
December 27, 2006 9:14:33 AM

With My 8800GS (The Full System Specs Are In My Sig) I Get Around 145FPS Average With Spikes Of 165FPS, And A Minimum Framerate Of 80FPS, Every Enviroment Detail At Maximum 8xAA, 16xAA, Ultra High Quality @ 1680x1050
December 27, 2006 10:38:19 AM

You could try to buy some ArcticSilver 5 and see if the temps go down and i would try to take down the vga cooler and apply some AS 5 on it too.I dont think that the problem is coming from the driver,it's heat or the PSU.
December 27, 2006 11:32:07 AM

I had the XFX 7800 GS extreme. I played HL2 at 1024x768 ( I just like that res) with everything maxed out 2X AA and 4X AF. FPS avg around 45, unless im outside in really big areas..where it falls to about 20ish for a few seconds.
max fps: 130
min fps: 17 -> very rare

But I never found the game unplayable.

In call of duty 2, My settings are similar except i didnt use any AA and AF, everything else was set on the ultra settings. I almost always had over 30 fps.
max fps: 300
min fps: 20

I also know that if anything my cpu and mobo were the main bottle neck:

socket 478 P4 2.5Ghz and a 4X agp slot mobo

I have a 380 watt Tagan psu with 22A on the 12V rail.

the avg temp i got after a good couple of hrs of gaming ( me + my brother use the same pc) was about 43 degrees.
December 27, 2006 6:35:25 PM

Quote:
my CPU temp is 59/60 degrees. I was told, however, P4's run hot - but surely not this hot?

That could be a problem: the temperature warning monitor on my PC is set for 65C external CPU temperature and 75C internal... right now my P4-3.06 is at 31C external and 70C internal. If you're getting up to 60C external temperatures when idle, then you could certainly be seeing the CPU throttling back due to excessive temperatures when running a game.

There is a program which will monitor CPU throttling and display a graph after running a game, but I forget what it's called.
December 29, 2006 2:50:21 PM

I have this same card, was having issues with it only running at 15 FPS, etc... this is known problem with these cards. the temp monitoring in the bios that is supposed to throttle the card down when it gets too hot, also kicks in if it is too cool...
I received a BIOS update from XFX that solved this... you can do it yourself also ir you have something that lets you tweak the BIOS, just disable temp montioring.
December 29, 2006 7:50:59 PM

Yeah, I've heard of this BIOS fix. Where can I get it from?
December 29, 2006 8:19:17 PM

send me a PM with your e-mail, I will forward the email from XFX support with the BIOS and needed files to flash the card.
December 31, 2006 3:13:02 PM

PM'd shortly after the post made, still received no reply. I have found the BIOS now anyway and have attempted to install it. It installed successfully, and games seemed to retain a good FPS - until the next day in which it returned to it's normal FPS decrease.
December 31, 2006 5:01:46 PM

sorry, meant to get back to you on that... the email bounced.
gmail wouldn't accept a ZIP file ?

just an after thought.. doyou know the exact model? the bios i have is for a T70K-UAD
December 31, 2006 5:33:37 PM

You flashed a $400 video card, without talking to support first? Hope ya backed up the original bios! Talk about voiding your warranty. hahaha
December 31, 2006 5:36:16 PM

Yeah, the bios was for the model T70K-UAD which is the exact model of the card. And yes, georgelawton, I did back up my original bios.
January 2, 2007 3:50:46 PM

Did you ever start a support ticket? Also PM me the Version number and bios number off of the video card and I will look into finding an updated bios version for your video card.

XFX Support
January 2, 2007 5:36:55 PM

I haven't started one, no - I'll get to that now, actually.

Bios version is 5.70.02.33.05, and I'm using 93.71 Forceware.
January 2, 2007 7:11:35 PM

PM me your email address and I will send the bios.

XFX Support
January 3, 2007 12:18:33 PM

You could try and slow down your fan by using RivaTuner but i don't think that would help,but you should give it a try.
January 3, 2007 1:15:14 PM

PM'd!

And Datman, the GPU is running at around 42 degrees idle - it's not too cold.
January 3, 2007 2:15:26 PM

I just sent the BIOS update. Please let us know how it goes or if you have any questions.

XFX Support
January 3, 2007 2:54:01 PM

I didn't receive the email - sent another PM following up.
January 3, 2007 4:10:35 PM

Download the latest SiS Chipset drivers from here:

http://www.sis.com/download/agreement.php?url=/download...

You'll want at least the SiS AGP(GART) Driver and SiS IDE/SATA/RAID Driver(s), you may also want the SiS LAN driver, assuming your network chip is an SiS one.

Once installed reboot.

Make sure nothing else is running in the background using memory while gaming - your problem sounds like a memory leak in an application, or in the video driver itself (which may indicate you've never installed SiS drivers and you're still using Microsoft 'generic chipset' compatible ones for both AGP/GART and IDE/SATA/RAID) - Thus my suggestion above.

XFX Support might be able to help you more with this, but not sure if they only support their products, or will delve into mainboard chipset / video chipset + drivers + configuration in general.
January 3, 2007 10:09:42 PM

Quote:
You could try and slow down your fan by using RivaTuner but i don't think that would help,but you should give it a try.

Thanks, tried that already.
I didn't have the problem before, just after the driver change to 93.71.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!