Sign in with
Your question

Local Area Connection Status on NEW PC.

Last response: in Networking
April 24, 2006 9:16:13 AM

I just built a new pc today and didnt update any of my drivers yet cuase i couldn't download anything successully. When i download a programm and run it a window pops up saying that the file was corrupted and telling me to redownload the file and ensure its integrity. I've done that and i checked my local area connection and see that i've sent around 16000 packets and only recieved around 58 packets. Not sure if this is in the right section, but any help is greatly appreaciated. Thanks

Oh yea. the speed LED for the gigabyte mac with external marvell is orange but the act/link led isn't on.

ps. computer is soo slow cuase i still havent updated my v card...
April 25, 2006 12:35:54 AM

Pure,

have you tried pinging a location and watching the packet loss?

Try using some network tool of your choice and ping a location like let's say google and see what the packet loss is, time etc. Repost when you know this. Do you have a home network?

good luck!

Ranger
April 25, 2006 4:40:28 AM

Thanks, I just gave up on it and bought a new NIC.
Related resources
April 27, 2006 5:34:44 PM

..............bought a new NIC....LOL the onboard one should work properly...not my way of solving the problem but HEY! whatever works :) 
May 2, 2006 1:44:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I just gave up on it and bought a new NIC.

That couldn’t be the problem. Did u try the drivers on the built in one?
May 2, 2006 10:39:04 PM

Yes. Before the drivers, the built in nic wouldn't respond. After the drivers, the orange LED light turned on but not the green light.
May 3, 2006 11:53:47 AM

Quote:
Yes. Before the drivers, the built in nic wouldn't respond. After the drivers, the orange LED light turned on but not the green light.

Sorry for asking ass it isn’t very clear: After installing the drivers did the built in net card work? (not the lights but the networking). Also did the addin card that you bought work ?
May 3, 2006 4:30:59 PM

Yea the built in nic card worked after installing the drivers, but when i downloaded a file and ran it, an error came up saying that the file was corrupt. This happened to almost all the files i downloaded online. The new nic card works fine, but it still seems a bit slower than usual. I even disabled the nvidia firewall, but some programs sitll detect it, ie, utorrent.
May 4, 2006 1:25:57 PM

So the new card that you installed is not having these problems?

BTW most people are having probs with the nvidia firewall so that could be it.
May 4, 2006 10:50:05 PM

I was just going to say that, the nvidia firewall is a piece of crap, remove it and reinstall the nic driver and see what happens. I had a similar prob and reinstalled the os and it began working right away.
May 5, 2006 1:02:42 AM

Yea i think i uninstalled the nvidia firewall after i installed the os, but for some reason, utorrent still detects it as being installed. I can't find the nvidia firewall in the add/remove page.
!