Sign in with
Your question

Time to pull the trigger

Tags:
  • Memory
Last response: in Memory
December 5, 2006 5:03:53 PM

Ok guys its been over 3weeks now as im compiling info as to what Memory i should go with for my P5B-DX & E6600..When i think i figured it out a different post pulls me in a another direction,but i have to pull the trigger by thurs night,so can you guys help me out here a bit..

Now im only looking to get a small OC of around lets say 3.0-3.2G w/stock(aftermarket if i must!)

Have had good experence with this brand,but OC`ers dont seem to like it
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

Im seeing a lot of people felling these and was going to get them then, now hearing the CAS5 is no good for OC`ing go for the CAS4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

But the CAS4 only comes in 512 i need to run 2G, any DISADVANTAGE going with 4 512 vs 2 1G?Then posts are suggesting CAS5 is ok?

Been reading about how these dont have Micron chips and only if you got them before Nov 28 or something,they will excange for new ones
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

Notice the $40 mail in(was not there last week)im thinking there trying to get rid of the chips without the D9`s to make way for never ones??

Reading how these are the best OC`ers and the perfect match for my mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

There just a bit high for the budget im working with(Building Dual 5130 also)
Maybe i can convince my friend to spend the few extra bucks since he is already 6K in!! How do the PC800 compair to the PC1000??

Now im thinking im driving myself nuts over this and since im looking at such a small OC any of these will get the job done,but im also looking a bit down the road as i advance in OC`ing, and im also looking for best possiable chips as well,this will be a editing workstation so i need MAX stable performance!!

Any feedback would be nice,also perhaps as someone recommends memory maybe a quick idea how high i can OC,am i cutting myself short with 3-3.2? which ones might yield higher speeds(on AIR!),hope im not asking to much!?!

Almost all these questions have been asked ,as you can see i been doing my homework,just help me put it toghter and the end guys!!

thanks folks,hope i can get a few post to respond on before thurs night!

Later

More about : time pull trigger

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 5, 2006 5:25:46 PM

These are fine selection. Just to start with I went for the Buffalo Firestix myself. The CL4 advertised for the 1gig is not true according to Buffalo Website. It kinda show you that the CL5 rating is deceiving and underrated.
And you are way better with 2 X1gb, you still have 2 empty slot for a 4gig in the future.

I've been told not to let the CL5 fool me, these sticks can apparently do much better as they use Micron D9GMH which are know to OC to DDR1000 and to have tigther timming. The price use to be 15$ cheaper which was a better deal.
I should get the sticks tomorow but I don't have any board/computer to test them in =(

I would stay clear from the Corsair, not the best $/perf.

Now let's do some little math 2400(cpu speed)/266(fsb speed) = 9(multiplier)

You want 3.2ghz : 3200/8 = 355, so you need DDR711 for a 1:1 OC.

You should then get DDR800 which will get you all the way to 3.6ghz if you want to push it further.

In line with that, I would recommand either : This Crucial Ballistix 667C3 or the other ballistix you linked(essentially identical but one is certified/tested to have tight timming, the other to reach 1000mhz) or the buffalo firestix they are pretty highly rated.

I kinda like that thread too : Link
December 6, 2006 4:13:23 PM

Quote:
You should then get DDR800 which will get you all the way to 3.6ghz if you want to push it further.

In line with that, I would recommand either : This Crucial Ballistix 667C3 or the other ballistix you linked(essentially identical but one is certified/tested to have tight timming, the other to reach 1000mhz) or the buffalo firestix they are pretty highly rated.

The link is for 667 is that right?

Also my friend is going to let me build the same system for myself as payment for building him this & a Xeon ,im sure the same rules hold true for a E6400 or is that a whole different story??

Thanks
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 6, 2006 4:17:49 PM

The link is for DDRII-667C3 but since it has such tight timming it can easily do DDR800 - CL4, you just have to adjust it manually in the bios.
!