Sign in with
Your question

overclocking 680io mb need expert advice, guide not avaible

Last response: in Overclocking
December 5, 2006 6:14:03 PM

ok its been a while and i see no update to wusy's overclocking guide to include the 680i series nvidia mbs. his guide specificly excludes the 500 series so im afraid to use it on my 600 series, anyone had any luck overclocking the 680i any experts tell me what to change to the guide for the 600 series or do i have to start from scratch, im not lookin for a super overclock, i want to just do 3ghz so i can do memory at 1-1 im using 667 memory so 9 x 333 is what im lookin for .

but i dont even want to consider changing voltages and so forth and ruin my mb without some expert advice.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
December 5, 2006 6:18:40 PM

The 500 series were horible OCer, the 600 series is essentially a 500 with good OC feature!

His guide still kinda apply to you, not exactly tweaked for you but anything in there is pretty much good for any platform.

I would give Wusy's guide a shot, any question/uncertainties
post in here we will help you

The next thread is for more hardcore/tweaking action but it applies to you tottaly.
Not exactly clear but pretty straight forward.
December 5, 2006 6:20:36 PM

so those voltage changes on his guide are fine for the 680i?

btw some of the things he says to disable i dont know where to find in bios in fact the only thing i did find was the spread spectrum whre do you find those other things to disable.

hey check out this guide, its specificly for 680i should i use this, it does spell everything out, any ideas or bad parts to this guide?

http://pc.ign.com/articles/747/747606p1.html

thanks so much
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
December 5, 2006 6:57:18 PM

Memory and CPU voltage are fine, not 100% sure about the other MCH/FSB and so on. The general increase from stock is probably right though!.

Pretty straight forward guide, form what I read, you should not touch the unlinked mode.

If you're simply shooting for 333FSB, your memory should handle that no problem...
December 5, 2006 7:05:57 PM

not touching the unlinked mode, what exactly do i change and in what order. aka do i change the fsb number up and will it auto change the timing to 1-1 or do i change that first then up the fsb to 4x333

ok i think im suposed to change it from auto to linked, memory to 1-1 and fsb to 1332. can i change all three at the same time or should i change one or two first save and exit then redo.

speaking of timings.

im using cruicials tenth aniversery memory cas3 667 ddr2. the default was cas5 so i went in and changed it and now its running 3-3-3-12 np i notice theres a second group of numbers under memory timing and those are

trrd
trc 20?
twr
twtr
tref

im noticing the second number trc is at 20 is this correct, do i change the first four of htose numbers to match the first batch of timings aka 3-3-3-12 as well ?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
December 5, 2006 7:25:54 PM

Um I dont have a 680i, yet, so I will try to answer those question as good as I can.

1st I would:
Change FSB MEM Clock to LINK
Change FSB MEM Ratio to AUTO (or 1-1)
Reboot

2nd
FSB I think you can set it to 1333 right away, you can go incrementally though and reboot in between.

These timming are memory Sub-timming, I would touch them, simply because I dont know much about it.
BTW nice ram, I am so pissed I didn't get it in time =(

15+ pages on OCing 680i

You can scroll thru these might learn a lot!

Good luck!
December 5, 2006 7:56:23 PM

Wtf i did the above and i get this looong as beeeep then i notice the settings didnt take effectn then i notice why.

with 1-1
and linked on.
it tried to run the memory at 1333?

holy potential fried memory batman!

wusy where are you!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
December 5, 2006 8:00:54 PM

If you didn't bump the voltage like crazy, dont worry you did not fry the ram.

Reset CMOS and you should be fine.

Change FSB MEM Clock to LINK
Change FSB MEM Ratio to AUTO

next time, not 1-1
December 5, 2006 8:03:58 PM

nope left volts at 2.2 which is standard. btw the bios didnt like that setting so didnt actually implement my changes lol thank god. i notice it also didnt implement the voltage changes either, anyone know why.

when i changed the voltages i got a long beep too, and they didnt implement. i then adjusted the 1-1 and t hen restarted and did fsb.

perhaps the voltage thingy is a problem i mean if you up your cpu core but its not needing that much will it still alow you to set it to such.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
December 5, 2006 8:07:10 PM

That thread I linked earlier has some pretty good insight
December 5, 2006 10:56:31 PM

I have a 680i with E6600 overclocked to 3400 and stable. I am running in the unlinked mode which my memory (Corsair DDR2 CM2X5400C4) and it seems perfectly happy.
I know I would have to go to at least DDR2 800 if it were in linked mode. Is there any particular reason why I should not be in unlinked mode?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
December 6, 2006 3:53:49 AM

Many people had problem with unlinked with earlier Bios. Some dead spot because of 'funky' divider used by Unlinked.

I don't own a board, just recommending on what I read. If it works fine than don't touch it!! =)
December 6, 2006 4:16:12 AM

wow wonder where wusy mad jack and the others are no other replys suprised, im kinda gunshy now on the whole oc thingy anyone got some definative results
December 6, 2006 4:43:06 AM

ok no way to run it auto or linked and get the 1333buss and memory at 667 unless i leave it linked and instead of picking memory 1-1 nor auto i pick sync mode. that puts the memory to 667 with the 1333buss and the proc at 2.999 ghz.

can anyone confirm thats the way to go, also should i just leave the voltages on auto or manually put them up. anyone with hte know for sure on this help me out?
December 6, 2006 5:36:50 AM

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3158/ocedgy0.jpg

ok well i went ahead and after reading some used the linked/sync mode. which gave it a true 1-1 memory ratio. i left the voltages unchanged and the motherboard as you can see from ntune auto upped the voltages for me.

so im at 3ghz, my temps fluctuate from no load aka windows 45c to running bf2 on high and at the same time a nwn2 server, and cpuz and ntune to a high of 48c. i have freezer pro 7 on there and my coolermaster stacker has 8 fans.

anyone see any problem with leaving it like this, aka the auto voltage and the syncmode/linked. yes i used the rest of wusys guide as far as disabling things and so forth but the only voltage i touched myself was the memory voltage as the cruical likes 2.2 per the book.

as you can see the auto voltage has cpu at 1.46 and fsb at 1.4 shall i leave it on auto voltage, anyone?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
December 6, 2006 2:43:39 PM

If you are happy with this speed.
The temps are good and the voltage seam really decent.

Run 2 instance of Prime95 or some Orthos Blend test to see if it is stable. If it's the case then you're good to go 24/7 for a few years =)
December 6, 2006 3:23:10 PM

Quote:
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3158/ocedgy0.jpg

ok well i went ahead and after reading some used the linked/sync mode. which gave it a true 1-1 memory ratio. i left the voltages unchanged and the motherboard as you can see from ntune auto upped the voltages for me.

so im at 3ghz, my temps fluctuate from no load aka windows 45c to running bf2 on high and at the same time a nwn2 server, and cpuz and ntune to a high of 48c. i have freezer pro 7 on there and my coolermaster stacker has 8 fans.

anyone see any problem with leaving it like this, aka the auto voltage and the syncmode/linked. yes i used the rest of wusys guide as far as disabling things and so forth but the only voltage i touched myself was the memory voltage as the cruical likes 2.2 per the book.

as you can see the auto voltage has cpu at 1.46 and fsb at 1.4 shall i leave it on auto voltage, anyone?

1.46 is too high for a 6600 at that speed. Mine is stable at 3.2 Ghz at ~1.39.
December 8, 2006 3:38:23 AM

Nvidia 680i overclocking guide
I have read the overclocking section and I approve it.
Dont stop reading wusy's guide tough, because the basic principles are the same for all Core2 CPUs.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
December 8, 2006 6:43:08 PM

Great Post, in the process of reading it... should be of some interest!
!