Best way to install conroe stock heatsink ??

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
I am just about to put my first build together. All the pieces are shining in front of me right now after waiting over 1 week for the AS5. This is however my first build and I have heard difficulties in installing the conroe HSF. Should I put it in the case first or leave it out? Also any other tips on how to install it to prevent me from snapping the board into two. thanks

Better safe than sorry I guess :? :D

G

Never heard of board snapping in two, if you do picture please 8) .

The application method for AS5 and dual core is described on their site. They recommand a drop in the middle of the heat sink, press it on the cpu, move it a little around. then secure the heatsink.

(for right handed :) )
Here's how I secure Conroe heatsink, motherboard out of the case, anti-static bag of the mobo on your left hand, mother resting on top of the anti static bag, in your left hand.

Put the heatsink so that the connector of the fan is the closest to the connector on the motherboard without to much slack in the wire.

Press firmly on one of the platic clip untill you feel it click. Do the same with the one that is in diagonal from it. Click the 2 others.

Flip the motherboard to make sure all four plastic parts went all the way thru. If one is not as visible as the other, flip the mobo back and push some more. Sometimes a good amount of force is needed!

that should do it. I also put the ram right away, then mount the motherboard and connect everyting

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Meh, Labbby explained it well enough, I tried to put it in while in the case, and I had to use a shit-ton of force, enough to make me scared I'd break the mobo since there wasn't a standoff near the cpu to help stabilize it...

Meh, still worked, and the cooler didn't fall off, but those plastic clips are total biatches.

TRENDING THREADS