adonlude

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
So I am looking into buying a soundcard, probably the X-Fi with the XRAM, Fatality Pro or something like that. I remember reading recently that there were some issues with the soundcards and Vista. Vista doesn't have the capability of using a soundcard or something like that. Has this been solved? I did some searching but couldn't find any articles.

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
The Sound cards will probably all work correctly with Vista, the only thing that was said about them not being compatible was the EAX system, which was replaced by OpenAL as the preferred effect system for games (i think this is related to the changes made to the DX API or something), but be assured that creative will add some kind of support/workaround(mind that this may result in a bigger driver overhead) so that EAX enabled games will still be playable using that effects system.

Link 1
Link 2
Hopes this clears things up for you.

adonlude

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Awesome thanks! So it looks like there is nothing really to worry about for the X-Fi line. Sounds like most big games of the future will have to be coded in OpenAL and Creative is creating a driver to make X-Fi EAX work on Vista anyway, though they dont mention any drawbacks to the extra step in converting DirectSound to OpenAL. Perhaps I will buy an X-Fi after all.