Sign in with
Your question

Getting into a Technical Support Job

Last response: in Work & Education
October 8, 2010 8:27:38 PM

I've been trying to break into technical support at any level and I'm finding it a bit difficult. What's the best way of getting onto the first rung of the ladder? I've been applying to jobs but have no interviews yet. My previous jobs are in web design and development so I have no experience in this area. What is the best thing to look out for for getting into a job like thi? I don't know anyone in this area so that isn't a possibility.

More about : technical support job

October 19, 2010 11:38:11 AM

Never give up buddy I also started as with a crapy job even thou I m nt yet into technical support bt my spirit is up
October 22, 2010 8:05:32 AM

It's tough out there man. I have a Bachelor's in IT, and experience, and still have trouble getting interviews, even with 3 letters of recommendation from my former employer. Tough market out there for certain.
Related resources
October 22, 2010 7:42:02 PM

I have a Bachelors in Computer Networking and Info Sec. Took me about 8 months to get a job, I didnt have many interviews either. Since you have no work experience in the Tech support field you may want to get a certification like A+ (really easy) or something like that, helps stand out on your resume. When I was hunting for jobs i was using craigslist, monster, careerbuilder,dice,and a few local ones.

For reference I asked my supervisor who many applicants they got for my postion (Tech Support) he said over 200 ranging from dish washers to CIO's. I dont know how many they had for there first wave of interviews but there were only 2 or 3 (including me) for the second set of interviews.
November 14, 2010 7:27:47 AM

HR cannot just accept people without experience on those areas so even if you finished school they want to know if you can deal with the problems they have in that companies. For the interviews you have to wait we really don't know how many there are were passing applications.
December 23, 2010 2:19:55 PM

You have to make your resume stand out. A good IT resume is not at all like a good executive resume. You've got to list your skills and abilities more than anything else. No fluff, just what you can do. My resume is essentially more acronyms than I can shake a stick at.

Do some hard studying in business IT. Cisco, Networking, etc. Anyone can do desktop support, not everyone can configure a Catalyst 2500 series switch from the ground up and build a functioning AD server. A lot of people have these skills, but they are far fewer in number than those that just stick to replacing motherboards and hard drives.

Get an A+ since you don't have any experience. BUT, also start working towards other things: CCNA, MCITP, Network+ (before CCNA), Active Directory. These are the skills that employers are looking for.
February 1, 2011 2:17:32 AM

Ninjabear, I just wrote up some advice on breaking into the Technical Support career field in response to another Toms Hardware "Forum" > "Work & Education" post which you may be interested in reading. The URL is:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261-66-looking-jobs

(remember, the thing you do tomorrow to help someone may change the future of untold ideas, services or products that will be developed afterwards!)

Enjoy! Good luck!

~
February 16, 2011 2:56:02 PM

If you find out, pass it along! Share the wealth :) 
February 22, 2011 12:04:28 AM

Well the economy isn't booming now is it?
February 22, 2011 12:09:33 AM

Nope. Maybe in 2012, or later in H2 2011.
March 8, 2011 9:57:03 AM

I am working as a software tester from last 2 years in same software Testing. I am looking for change...Is there any requirement in any company..I have good knowledge in the field of testing.
software testing
March 8, 2011 5:29:23 PM

Maybe look into CC or a degree in computer engineering.
May 9, 2011 5:43:39 AM

I recently came upon this interesting Internet Marketing Company and If you are applying for Professional Virtual Assistant this informative website is totally the most effective business company.
August 25, 2011 10:51:07 PM

Certs aside, break into the lowest rung like best buy. You have to start somewhere. Either you have experience or you have a degree. If you have none of these you start at the bottom.

Another option is starting in customer support for easy stuff (crappy stuff) like phone support (Att, verizon, or even a box store for IT like HP). After this point, move laterally into an IT phone support. That would be my recommendation (all the while going to school for a degree in IT).
September 6, 2011 7:46:56 PM

I recommend getting some certifications in the technology you want to support like Microsoft, Cisco, Red Hat Linux, etc. Also, if you are going to certification classes, then try to network with other people in the class/instructor/etc to see if they have any openings.
December 18, 2011 1:54:17 AM

how is your job now? any update? I would recommend you try some online part time job. For beginners, you may try some low price to start which is much easier and then when you are pro in this market, you may say you got experience. Then it is easy for you to get a full time job.

The economy might still not good in the coming year.
December 18, 2011 10:37:20 PM

if you've got an engi degree from a decent enough school, i'd try national instruments, they seem to hire lots of new grads
!