Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Folder view changes??

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 10:18:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Win XP sp1. I organise program icons inside of folders on my desktop.
The view setting for these folders keeps changing on its own. I've tried
"Tools - folder options - view - remember each folder's view settings" but
the view keeps changing.
?????

Any help is appreciated

More about : folder view

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 10:18:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Tee Blue" <teeblue@email.com> wrote in message
news:%3XCd.15807$c%.9819@okepread05...
> Win XP sp1. I organise program icons inside of folders on my desktop.
> The view setting for these folders keeps changing on its own. I've tried
> "Tools - folder options - view - remember each folder's view settings" but
> the view keeps changing.
> ?????
>
> Any help is appreciated

Don't know if this is the problem there but I've seen in these groups that
lots of actual documents and programs on the Desktop itself is not a good
idea; shortcuts to them are no problem. So move the items in folders to a
level lower and create shortcuts to the folders to place on Desktop either
by File>Create shortcut or (easier) right click the folder then Send
to>Desktop (create shortcut).

Can't hurt.

Malv
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 10:18:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

XP with SP1 only rememers 400 different folder settings. In order
to increase that number you have to do one of the following:

1. Install SP2. I think it increases the limit to 5000.

2. Visit Kelly's site and download and install #2 on the left of
Kelly's Registry Edits.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

3. Download and install Tweakui for XP and expand the Explorer
branch. Select Cusomizations and bump the number of folders to
remember to a reasonable number (8000 sounds good). You can
download Tweakui here (check the left hand side of the page for
the download site):

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

Nepatsfan

"Tee Blue" <teeblue@email.com> wrote in message
news:%3XCd.15807$c%.9819@okepread05...
> Win XP sp1. I organise program icons inside of folders on my
> desktop.
> The view setting for these folders keeps changing on its own.
> I've tried
> "Tools - folder options - view - remember each folder's view
> settings" but
> the view keeps changing.
> ?????
>
> Any help is appreciated
Related resources
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 12:03:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Your best (and easiest) bet is Kelly's tweak.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Tee Blue" <teeblue@email.com> wrote in message
news:_CYCd.15814$c%.15096@okepread05...
> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in news:qNudnRWIifCdzEHcRVn-
> ug@comcast.com:
>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
>
> Thanks, I"ll give TweakUI a try. Thanks
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 12:18:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

To continue with this thread, I too have a problem. Sony VAIO 2.4 GHz 1 GB
RAM XP Home with all current updates except SP2. (Don't want to try to
install this until I get all updates from SONY and this problem solved.)

I have one open folder which I store my regular program shortcuts on my
desktop. (All my other systems, both on this network and my workplace
network are set the same way with NO problems.) I set it to View, Icons and
sort the icons in the order I want them. I then make sure that I have
selected View, Arrange icons by Align to Grid with all else unchecked. If I
close the folder and reopen it, it comes back just the way I closed it.
When I reboot the system, it has reverted to the original "Details View"
that I have my Windows Explorer defaulting to.

In the quick launch area of the taskbar I have 7 program shortcuts. I have
the taskbar unlocked. When I reboot the system the taskbar becomes locked
and only 4 of the 7 icons are visible. Changing the order & reboot also
reverts to the original order.

I have remember each folders settings enabled. I have the Kelly fix
installed without success. Haven't been able to find out what is happening
with this system but it is totally stable except for the icons reverting
back to the details view and the taskbar changing.

If I change the view of all folders to Icons the program folder on the
desktop picks up the Icon view, but of course so does Explorer which I
detest the Icon view in explorer.

Have run Panda Antivirus updated full scan, (problem was also happening when
had PCcillin installed as my antivirus) AdAware, CS Shredder, SpyBot and
SpySubtract with all updates and system is clean.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:uWWAZi38EHA.936@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Your best (and easiest) bet is Kelly's tweak.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Tee Blue" <teeblue@email.com> wrote in message
> news:_CYCd.15814$c%.15096@okepread05...
> > "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in news:qNudnRWIifCdzEHcRVn-
> > ug@comcast.com:
> >
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
> >
> > Thanks, I"ll give TweakUI a try. Thanks
>
>
>
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 6:22:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in
news:10tp80rogj0la78@corp.supernews.com:

> To continue with this thread, I too have a problem. Sony VAIO 2.4 GHz
> 1 GB RAM XP Home with all current updates except SP2. (Don't want to
> try to install this until I get all updates from SONY and this problem
> solved.)
>
>
>
> Have run Panda Antivirus updated full scan, (problem was also
> happening when had PCcillin installed as my antivirus) AdAware, CS
> Shredder, SpyBot and SpySubtract with all updates and system is clean.
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:uWWAZi38EHA.936@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Your best (and easiest) bet is Kelly's tweak.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Tee Blue" <teeblue@email.com> wrote in message
>> news:_CYCd.15814$c%.15096@okepread05...
>> > "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in
>> > news:qNudnRWIifCdzEHcRVn- ug@comcast.com:
>> >
>> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/....
>> >> mspx
>> >
>> > Thanks, I"ll give TweakUI a try. Thanks
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

Tried Tweak UI. Changed folders to remember from 400 to 8000. View still
changes. ??? I"ll try Kelly's tweak next.

Thanks
!