genec57

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I am intrigued by the Tital Amanda. The only review I have found sounded interesting but, unfortunately did not show any direct comparisons with other air or water coolers. It would appear to work but is it signifacantly better than any of the high quality air coolera available?

Anyone actually have one in service? Probably not too many at $100 a pop but the idea appeals to my techie brain :)

TedMC

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
I am intrigued by the Tital Amanda. The only review I have found sounded interesting but, unfortunately did not show any direct comparisons with other air or water coolers. It would appear to work but is it signifacantly better than any of the high quality air coolera available?

Anyone actually have one in service? Probably not too many at $100 a pop but the idea appeals to my techie brain :)

madshrimps reviewed it in a big heatsink shootout,...

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=519

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
ROFL even a 9700 beat it! And thats because it was the only capable cooler of the roundup, but you can see how the T-120 won over all the other mammoth coolers :D
Very nice review, not that I would expect less from Madshrimps.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Scythe Ninja was also in there... shrug...

The 9700 beat it at almost 10 more dB... 10dB generates quite a bit more noise...

Sigh, still waiting for a definitive answer to this question...

madshrimp

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
dB != dBA

also notice that the recording distance is at 5cm, it's like putting your ear next to the cooler, any change in noise will come over loud at that distance, any cooler test and comes with <45dBA at that distance can be considered very very quiet; at normal operating distance (~50cm) these coolers don't come over the ambient!

G

Oh well you learn something everyday!

Not all sound pressures are equally loud. This is because the human ear does not respond equally to all frequencies: we are much more sensitive to sounds in the frequency range about 1 kHz to 4 kHz (1000 to 4000 vibrations per second) than to very low or high frequency sounds. For this reason, sound meters are usually fitted with a filter whose response to frequency is a bit like that of the human ear. (More about these filters below.) If the "A weighting filter" is used, the sound pressure level is given in units of dB(A) or dBA. Sound pressure level on the dBA scale is easy to measure and is therefore widely used. It is still different from loudness, however, because the filter does not respond in quite the same way as the ear. To determine the loudness of a sound, one needs to consult some curves representing the frequency response of the human ear, given below.

Where dB are only decibel...

Cool.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
ROFL even a 9700 beat it! And thats because it was the only capable cooler of the roundup, but you can see how the T-120 won over all the other mammoth coolers :D
Very nice review, not that I would expect less from Madshrimps.

You kinda wonder how a TEC would underperform a heatpipe air cooler, but it just goes to show that the T-120 is one killer cooler. I'm not a big peltier fan. One more needless draw on the PSU and if it goes kaput, you can kiss your CPU goodbye. But then again, WC has the same problem. If the pump goes it's all over. And most pumps I've seen fail usually pick the middle of the night so that by the time you wake up all you can smell is burned silicon! :lol:

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I heard good things about this coolers and to mention the Vigor Monsoon as well. Achieving sub-ambient temps in idles are pretty good.

I'd also heard some raves when the Amanda and Monsoon were first intro'd but the latest test results show that they can't outperform a topend air-only cooler. That doesn't make sense to me, but you can't argue with benchmarks performed by competent personnel.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
WC has the same problem. If the pump goes it's all over. And most pumps I've seen fail usually pick the middle of the night so that by the time you wake up all you can smell is burned silicon!
But thats extremely rare, since even the AC pumps are designed to run 24/7/365.
Very scary for those with Xtreme Core2s tough...

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Meh, it's called thermal throttling...

Not to mention these TEC coolers also have a huge chunk of copper and heatpipes that can cool without the TEC unit also...

Anyways, once the Amanda becomes more widely available, I'll see if any new opinions pop up from people who buy it...

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
WC has the same problem. If the pump goes it's all over. And most pumps I've seen fail usually pick the middle of the night so that by the time you wake up all you can smell is burned silicon!
But thats extremely rare, since even the AC pumps are designed to run 24/7/365.
Very scary for those with Xtreme Core2s tough...

This was in the early days when people I know were playing around with aquarium pumps. The reliability of pumps manufactured specifically for PCs is definitely higher.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Especially since the market for watercooling has risen drastically, and every company wants to get in on it... I'm sure the Laing pumps will last a damn long time, but some of the cheapies out there... I'm not quite so sure...

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
It's just before Y2K and this guy I know is working night and day writing (what turned out to be useless) D-day code at $100 an hour. He had this killer OCd rig (can't remember the specs, sorry) and had the best and simplest watercooled system I'd ever seen. Waterblock in line runs to his cold water tap and out line to the sink. Total loss cold water system par excellence! His building paid the water bill so he didn't care. Everything was fine until the water got cut off for a couple of hours of maintenance. Silicon BBQ! :lol:

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
HAHA!!!

That's hilarious, but then, tap water has problems in and of itself... such as algae and mineral deposists taht will detrimine performance.. but still, very funny!

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
HAHA!!!

That's hilarious, but then, tap water has problems in and of itself... such as algae and mineral deposists taht will detrimine performance.. but still, very funny!

Hell, at $100 an hour, working 16 hours a day, he could easily afford to replace the waterblock every month no problem. The problem was keeping the H2O on! :lol:

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Well it's not like he's running that pc 24/7 along with the tap water? Is he?

This guys has the same idea, only in a shitty way. Very funny thread.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=205289\

Anyways for the TEC coolers I think those newer ones are more better now. Some brands are worst and just heat up the surrounding components while producing same results and air coolers.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I've seen some TEC blocks by themselves that you can just add onto any cooler... they're not too expensive, but it would be a ton of trouble and you'd probably need a decent machine shop to get it right, not to mention the pre-made ones are a bit more complicated since they have a unique heatpipe solution...

Shrug...

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Well it's not like he's running that pc 24/7 along with the tap water? Is he?

This guys has the same idea, only in a shitty way. Very funny thread.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=205289\

Did you see the deposits of crud on the side of that toilet tank? I wouldn't be surprised if the guy is sitting on the wrong part! :lol:

What I don't understand is, does that guy work on his PC in the toilet? Nice ambiance! 8O

Yup, Mr. Machine Code was one of the "if you turn off your PC you'll kill your HDs" kinda guys. 24/7. Tap never shut off. Until the plumbers had to do a little work in the basement. Then ZAP! I wonder if that Pentium glowed orangered before it gave up its silicon atoms and went to that great CPU playground in the sky. :lol: