new build..somethings wrong

NoLiMiT

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I put this rig together yesterday, and it turns on but for only about for a few mins then shuts down.....i can't install windows nor stay in bio's to long because of the shut downs..... does anyone know whats going on here or how to fix this?..........here are the specs

E6300 C2D
GA-965G-DS3
Corsair XMS2 Twin2x ddr2 675(2 x 512)
Evga 7600 GT KO (PCI-E)
Maxtor Sata Ultra 200GB
CoolMax Taurus 550W PSU
Thermaltake Damier V5000c

thanks for any info

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Yeah, 1st instinct says it's heat. The stock heatsink/fan is notoriously difficult to install correctly. I had a very similar problem with a Pentium 630, it's the same basic HSF and godawful motherboard clips.

You'll need to remove the heatsink, clean the current thermal gunk off (most use isopropyl alcohol), and get some thermal compound like AS5.

NoLiMiT

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
i already had taken the thermal material off, i just used rubbing alc. maybe thats ok....and i put AS5 on ... did all that before i turned it on the first time..........but ya i hear you, those little clips are troublesome.... i guess its seated right....i tryed to wiggle it alittle and it didn't move, the case that i use though has alot of fans in it aswell

tlreaves

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
You should have left the intel thermal compound on, it seems to work better with the intel HS. One of the legs if probably not locked in all the way, so the HS isn't making good contact with the CPU. Sometimes they click, but they're not really in all the way and you're afraid to push harder, but you have to be sure they're locked in all the way otherwise the mobo will shut the CPU down so it doesn't burn up.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
It does sound like a heat problem but don't ignore everything else. If you can get into bios then go to the temp monitor and watch it.... is this not obvious?

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
i agree with waylander, try to get to the health monitor
in bios and check vlts and temps before it shuts off.
also look in the case and touch and feel the heatsink
becarful though.

and it could be a psu problem,

just because its new doesnt mean its good.

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I used the same motherboard you used in your build. When I first turned on my PC all the fans were spinning except my cpu heatsink fan. I know it sounds obvious, but is your cpu fan spinning? If the CPU fan is not spinning try plugging it into your system fan connector; that is what I did.

NoLiMiT

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
the heatsink wasn't properly seated...., I took the mobo out and cleaned up the hsf & cpu , reapplied as5.... and every thing is working now :D those clips are unpredictable... anyhow thanks guys for all the tips...

a few other things though...... im using speedfan and my mobo/cpu temps are

mobo= 33c
cpu 37-40c

coretemps program states....50c/50c

what are acceptable temps for e6300?

another thing is my psu when i push the power button....the psu acts like it is starting up (revs) then real fast goes idle if not off, then really fast comes back on*kind of reminds me of a car needing a jumpstart* but everthing is stable after that, though no unordinary shutdowns.... i have the one on my specs but i also bought a OCZ gamexstream 700w, that i was saving.... should i switch out the psu or is the reving up part normal?
would it be harmful to put that mass of a psu in this system?

thanks

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I have the OCZ GameXStream 600W hooked up to my system. My system fan does the same thing you described on startup.

Enjoy your new system, I know I am enjoying mine :D .

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
another thing is my psu when i push the power button....the psu acts like it is starting up (revs) then real fast goes idle if not off, then really fast comes back
Mine did this too, and I have a cheaper PSU than you do. Odd though, after the 1st 5-10 or so startups, it quit doing it. Been great ever since.

bad PSU, swap and try.
Not necessarily.

eckre

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Who the crap are you AMDThunder? This isn't brain surgery here, you don't have one shot or their dead, it's computer hardware TROUBLESHOOTING. You have a problem, you take parts out, replace with another one, one-by-one and continue until you find the problem...

I don't even know why people post questions before they have tried troubleshooting.

The problem is HIGHLY probably either temps or PSU (or something else), and he's check the temps, so DUH, try the other one and stop discussing it! I had the same problem, identially, it was the PSU.

LOL Eckre.

This is all in fun so dont be bothered too much.
1.) you dont really have enough posts to be asking him about "who the crap" is he.... i mean, who the crap are you ;)

2.) For $30 bucks you can get the tools you need to test the hardware instead of relying on part swaps. I did do part swaps for a long long time untill I got into the business and now the tools are quite cheap. I recomend it for any enthusiest. PSU tester, and PCI Board tester, and maybe a cheapo temp monitor / volt meter if you want.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
The problem is HIGHLY probably either temps or PSU (or something else)
WTF dude? All I said was not necessarily. What does that mean? You already said it. Troubleshooting!

Don't get your panties in a wad. We're all here trying to help.

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Can you clear something for me then? My computer HSF does the same thing on startup and I have the same motherboard and different power supply. Could it be the motherboard and not the power supply? My motherboard BIOS version is F6.

EDIT: After posting I went to Gigabyte's site and checked the BIOS information and I found something interesting.
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2314

Under the F3 BIOS it says the following
"Fix during the first POST after AC resume, system will spend 3~4 seconds to perform a power-off cycle"

From the statement above it isn't clear to me if the 3-4 second power-off cycle was the problem or the solution to another problem, but it definitely shows that the motherboard has a BIOS power-off cycle feature on startup. Therefore, I don't think a faulty power supply is causing the fan to temporarily stop during startup.

If its the HSF, heres how you tell.
Go into bios and watch your temps. Simple. If they start rising then its your HSF (ususaly). If the voltage is listed in red such as: 3.3v (4.1v) Then its something else, maybe the PSU.

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
All the voltages are OK, and my CPU temperate is steady at 19~20 C, while my system temp is 30~31 C. I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer7Pro HSF and a different power supply than the guy that originally posted and we have the same thing happening on startup. I placed some information about my motherboard's BIOS in an edit to my previous post. After reading the BIOS information, I think my system is fine, but the BIOS might need to be tidied up a bit. Is there something else I should check to make sure I don't have any hardware related issues that are causing this problem?

Just for testing mesures, can you set your bios to a safemode setting? If not, just reset your bios settings to optimal. Because your system is restarting even in bios, this will work out if its a bios problem (such as a setting gone wrong). You could also pull out the cmos batery and unplug the computer which will reset the bios..

Also, pull out all sticks of ram but one, and unplug all your pci cards and hard drives /cd rom drives (not your vid card of course). The perpose of doing the extra work is that we need a base to start from.

"Can we get your sytem stable, even under temporary conditions?".

If we can, then we have a starting point for troubleshooting.
I know my methods arnt one liner "try this", but its how I troubleshoot. Feel free to continue to try the other things suggested.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
"Fix during the first POST after AC resume, system will spend 3~4 seconds to perform a power-off cycle"
Dude, you rock. I'd bet good money that's it. Now that I think about it, mine stopped doing it right about the time I flashed the bios. I hadn't linked the two before. At least I feel better about my PSU now. :)

Have you actually flashed the bios yet, or just looking for the version in the bios? I thought mine was on 6 because of something in the bios (can't remember exactly where it was), but it said something about v6, which I thought was version 6. After getting into windows and using cpu-z, or one of those programs, it showed I had like F3. Flashed it through windows, and like I said, that's right around the time it stopped doing it.

If that's not it, then we'll keep going.

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
My system is running fine now even though the HSF fan spins like that at the beginning.
I have the OCZ GameXStream 600W hooked up to my system. My system fan does the same thing you described on startup.

Enjoy your new system, I know I am enjoying mine :D .

Thanks for your response, but I just recently put this system together, and since it is working now I don't want to deconstruct it. I have no problems going into my BIOS settings. I apologize if I wasn't clear before when I was talking about my system BIOS; but, what I was basically trying to say is perhaps this is the way these motherboards work on startup until Gigabyte decides to release an updated BIOS.

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Cool, maybe I should flash my BIOS :D .
Is it worth flashing my BIOS? What if something goes wrong? Did you need to reinstall Windows? I have an OEM version of Windows.