need help finding this program...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
do they make a program that shows how much bandwith ur pc/network is being given? my frined has 3mb charter, and had a 5 man lan this weekend.. we began to lag with the 5th kid, and talking on vent would spike to almost 400 ping... my other friend has the same internet and had a 5 man lan with no lag, even with people downloading...

so my questions are

1 is there a program to find out how much bandwidth there is aviable (i think my friends being cheated)
2 do u think 3 mbps is fast enough to support 5 computers playing css online...
3 is there anythign faster than 3mbps aviable to residents?

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
its charter 3m... i duno the upload speed since its not mine... i think the website said 256k but im not 100% sure... does the program test for upload speed as well? im gonna test it out in a sec, i just got home

YeOldeStonecat

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
The type of router being used would also affect performance...a super cheap router can't handle the heavy concurrent loads that several people gaming would be giving it....while a better router...with a faster CPU and more RAM...could easily handle the higher load...up until the point that the internet pipe is pegged.

So I'd probably look at that....as quite possibly the cause.

Also you want to benchmark the bandwidth at each location....run several online speedtests at each site...to get a good average for each one. This will benchmark download and upload. Sites such as http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Now....the last factor...which game are we talking about? Older games, Quake 3, etc...hardly utilize any bandwidth...per client. Newer games, such as some of the Battlefield series...each client wants quite a bit of bandwidth...per client. You take your "tested" upload....that you got above...divide it by how much bandwith the game you play wants per client...and that will give you the max amount of clients that your connection will handle before the bandwidth is sucked up.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
wel he did the speed test, i think the download was right around 3mbps, but the upload was only at 120kb... he just got a new router, a linksys... same one i have, but we used a crap hub, maybe that could be part of the problem.... everyone ive talked to about it thinks its the tiny upload pipe, i have the cheapest charter and my upload is the same as his.. i told him to call charter in the morning to see, so well see if they can fix it, if not then ill tell him to try the internet thing directly connected to the modem for best perforamnce, thanks a lot for the help