Rancid34

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Ok i just got an XFI Extreme Music card, but i got some "ok" 2.0 speakers and i can tell a difference in the quality of my music, (btw im usualy just listening to music and watching movies, not much gaming) and i was wondering if i would see a big increase in quality if i got some 5.1s. people tell me theres a difference but if someone could tell me if its worth spending the money on some, how much id be spending, and what kind i should get, thanks.

(btw the xfi cd drivers suck, itunes is pickey and does not like the regular drivers and took my 4200 with 2GB ram to its knees with lockups, the new drivers help alot but i guess it still hangs a little, has ne one else had this problem?)

cdonato

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
The biggest difference is that 5.1's generally have more power & so have a better sound range. The big difference you'll find is in movies because stereo just doesn't compare to surround. THX certs are nice because it guarantees a high standard but are not essential.

Nova46

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
You will notice a HUGE difference, but only if you get a quality set like the Logitech Z-5500's. I don't think I could go back to anything else after having these haha. I don't even having mine set up so that the rear speakers are behind you like they're supposed to be, just because I have limited space, and they still sound incredibly. Sound clarity, range, bass, and volume are the biggest improvements.

yes you will notice a difference. I would go with Logitech Z-5500( about 260 USD), Creative Inspires ( really cheap, about 90 USD for 7.1's) or Klipsch Pro Media's (350 USD). any of those would make excellent additions to an X-Fi. I currently have the Inspires on an X-fi platinum, sound awsome.