Connecting a GA-965P-DS3 motherboard to the case

Bluebard

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I know this is a strange question, but here goes. I've been told by 2 sources that I need to have spacers between the case and the motherboard itself otherwise there could be real problems. I was also told they are plastic and look like washers. I seriously do not have or see these components.

My mother board is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012

My case is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125486

All that came with the case are some screws. The motherboard had nothing with it except cables. Does anyone have any insight on what to do? Are they required with this case or motherboard? I'm being cautious.

protocol255

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
My new case came with six or seven tiny screws that alow other screws to screw into the the screws. Probably some other color/shape than you're normal screws. Mine are a gold color. Screw those into the case and have the mobo sit on top and aline with the holes in the mobo you can no screw into the spacers.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
You're looking for brass "standoffs". They are brass-colored, not gold ;) In any event, they screw into your motherboard tray in your case. Then the motherboard sits on the standoffs and "floats" above the case tray....so it doesn't short out and fry. Then you use those fat, short stainless steel screws that come with your case to screw the motherboard into the standoffs behind it, to hold everything in place.

That's all there is to it. Good luck!

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Use the brass stand offs for the board to sit on.DO NOT use plastic mountings as they will prevent the board from grounding properly.In the old days,plastic standoffs and paper washers were the way to go as the MB could not be grounded via the mountings but by the power supply.Todays boards on the other hand need to be grounded.However,you do need to use the brass feet to screw the board to so you don't accidentily short out the board by touching the metal case with the bottom of the board.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT CO IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120