Sign in with
Your question

Just Curious: is AM2 socket a dead end?

Last response: in CPUs
December 5, 2006 10:42:36 PM

From what I having been hearing on these forums, upcoming CPU's from AMD either use different socket or a modified AM2 or AM3. If so, does this make AM2 mobos a dead end for CPU upgradability?
December 5, 2006 10:47:48 PM

This is my speculation: I feel that there will be a quad-core path for AM2 owners.

AM3 will most likely be primarly for the switch to DDR3.
December 5, 2006 11:00:16 PM

That's the plan, at least. AM3 procs can go in AM2, AM2+, or AM3 boards-theoretically. It would appear that AM3 procs will initially go in AM2 or AM2+ boards, and then later will be revised to only go in AM3 boards.

And technically, the K8L is/begins as an AM2+ (well also 1207+ but yeah), although it will work just fine in an AM2 (or 1207), with, for one, a reduced/older HT technology. I don't remember what else.

Still should work fine, just should work better in AM2+.

And, at least for '07, QC parts will only be high-end. Rather, are only -intended- to be high end-never know what can happen. High end as in 2.7-2.9GHZ.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 6, 2006 1:25:59 AM

You just hold on to your AM2 hand-grips and watch what happens next year...AM2+ and AM3 are coming out as well but AMD didn't forget about the AM2 fans, trust me.. :twisted:
December 6, 2006 1:44:55 AM

AMD has said that any AM3 based processor will be compatible w/ AM2 sockets, but not vice versa. Last I knew, quad core will be supported w/ a BIOS upgrade for AM2 users. But that can change... however historically AMD doesn't back track on compatibility like intel does.

Most S939 boards were easily upgradable to support dual core when they came out. So if I were a betting man, I'd say the same will be true with quad core.
December 6, 2006 3:47:29 AM

Am I getting AM3 confused with AM2+?
December 6, 2006 8:37:02 AM

Quote:

I think I need a scoresheet to keep up with the players. By the time you figure out what you want and drive the car to the computer shop, they've introduced three new sockets and a dozen new CPUs. Holy kwap. I know that this is good news for the enthusiast, but it's a fulltime job just keeping up! 8O

Now, I understand that AM2 is a DDR3 nono. Which present/future AMD socket is supposed to support that? Furthermore, what I've read tends to indicate that DDR2 is no biggie over DDR1 and that DDR3 is the real step up. Any truth to that?
December 6, 2006 11:38:23 AM

Don't expect DDR3 to make jack difference when AMD are planning 4 x 512 KB L2 caches, and one shared 2,048 - 4,096 KB L3 cache per CPU socket.

In fact with enough cache, in almost every consumer task, DDR1-400 in Dual-Channel is enough.
December 6, 2006 12:28:34 PM

Quote:

AM3 will be will ddr3 support and AM2+ is ddr2 support with the faster HT. AM2+ was fairly recently announced.
December 6, 2006 12:54:38 PM

Ok, so I know that the question is too obvious, but what's the advantage of DDR3? :?
December 6, 2006 1:06:20 PM

here we are

AM2 : 1GHz/2GT, DDR2-800
AM2+ : 2GHz/4GT, DDR2-1066, Seperated Power lanes for CPU cores and IMC
AM3 : 2GHz/4GT, DDR3-800 to DDR3-1???, Sperated Power lanes for CPU cores and IMC

AM2 & AM2+ CPU's will be compatible with AM2 & AM2+ mobos, just the not-equal configuration will work on the slower HTT speed ( 1GHz/2GT )

AM3 CPU's will work on all mobos AM2, AM2+ and AM3 just
on AM3 : will work with all it's forces, DDR3, 2GHz HTT
on AM2+ : will work with DDR2-1066 maximum, HTT speed will be ok as well as it's advanced power management.
on AM2 : will work with DDR2-800 maximum, HTT speed will work at 1GHz/2GT rather than 2GHz/4GT, and no advanced power management
on AM2.

AM2, AM2+ CPU's will not work on AM3 mobos

AM3 mobos are DDR3 only wich is not supported by the IMC in the AM2, AM2+
December 6, 2006 1:17:41 PM

Quote:

Does AM3 have a different pin config than the AM2, AM2+? Still, what is the big advantage about the DDR3?
December 6, 2006 2:10:36 PM

Quote:

Does AM3 have a different pin config than the AM2, AM2+? Still, what is the big advantage about the DDR3?

As core counts double and double we will need more bandwidth to keep those cores busy. Without information from RAM the CPUs will idle waiting for numbers to crunch.
December 6, 2006 2:25:19 PM

OK, so DDR3 is just zippy fast memory that might someday come in handy. Now are there physical pin differences between AM3 and earlier AMs?
December 6, 2006 2:56:40 PM

AMD's plans so far seem to allow for the ability to use their newer chips in a range of boards from AM2, AM2+ & AM3. They are pretty good about not stranding their customers by jumping to a new socket then jumping again without the ability to go between. Granted older socket sets wont have all the newest features but it will still run & perform well
December 6, 2006 3:06:01 PM

Quote:
You just hold on to your AM2 hand-grips and watch what happens next year...AM2+ and AM3 are coming out as well but AMD didn't forget about the AM2 fans, trust me..

I don't know; they did forget about us 939 / DDR fans.

Jo
December 6, 2006 3:08:58 PM

Quote:

I don't think so, all the same as there will be back compatible things you know, and if AMD made it; the different will make it impossible to insert an AM2, AM2+ CPU on AM3 mobos. as this config will not work anyway ( AM3 mobos are DDR3 only wich is not supported in AM2, AM2+ IMC )

for those who are thinking about upgrade...

1- buy AM2 CPU/mobo with DDR2
2- (optionally) in Q4/07 you have the option to upgrade the mobo to AM2+ and DDR2 to 1066, but this is just option this config will not last ( maximum of 9 months )
3- in middle 08, AM3 will be introduced, you may have AM3 CPU first and use it in your AM2/AM3 mobo while you're saving for AM3 mobo and DDR3 later...

@CaptRobertApril
DDR3 is faster and less power eater ( 1.5v vs. DDR2's 1.8v ), i guess it will offer better OCbility for AM3 CPU's but who knows...

about physical pin differences, as I said above, I don't think so, and if there is, they will be too litle to afford the AM3 back compatibility things with AM2's mobo's the reason for this AMD stated that AM3 CPU's will have an IMC that is capable of handling both DDR2 and DDR3, but there's no point of having DDR2 support if the AM3 mobo will have support only for DDR3...

don't know but maybe we will see some amazing DDR2/DDR3 mobo from ASRock :D 

as I heard before, the differences between DDR2 and DDR3 are very little and they are just for optimization, that's why it's easy for AMD to make an DDR2/DDR3 capable IMC, and thats why FB-DIMM can support DDR3 directly when it comes out while it support DDR2 currently...
December 6, 2006 3:10:52 PM

Thanks. That was an informative answer. I appreciate that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they come out with.
December 6, 2006 3:48:59 PM

Quote:
...does this make AM2 mobos a dead end for CPU upgradability?

Yes, because it requires an AMD proc. :D 
December 6, 2006 4:32:53 PM

Quote:
...does this make AM2 mobos a dead end for CPU upgradability?

Yes, because it requires an AMD proc. :D 

Nasty! :twisted:
December 6, 2006 4:40:44 PM

Well the AM2 socket was known about in the later stages of 939, and the 939 did offer the upgrade to X2. I read somewhere about a rumored AM2 to 939 socket converter, but I think it was only theory. Given the performance similarities of AM2 and 939, I think they could offer a flavor of a quad core or faster speeds. Alas I doubt they will since that would hurt the major OEM suppilers. Add to that the MB mfg's updating their BOIS. But one can hope.

At least they did better than the whole 9XX fiasco...... Congratulations on your new MB! It will be obsolete in 3 months!
December 6, 2006 4:46:03 PM

Quote:
At least they did better than the whole 9XX fiasco...... Congratulations on your new MB! It will be obsolete in 3 months!

It's really getting to the point where it really doesn't matter one whit what motherboard you buy in light of upgrading the CPU in the future since the next gen will have a couple of hundred extra pins! Maybe this will lead to fully integrated CPU/GPU/MBs so that you just buy one big chunk of circuitry that does the whole job and then when it's time to upgrade you just trade it in for another chunk. After all, with the sockets changing with the seasons, what the hell good is an MB with the previous gen socket?
!