Security error opening MS Access file

Hi. For two computers networked. One a Win 98 SE with Office XP and the other
a Windows XP SP2 with Office 2003. There is a share on the Win XP machine
which the Win 98 SE can fully access. Inside the share is an access database.
The database was probably created in Access XP. When trying to open the
database in Access 2003, I get a security message. By clicking OK (or Yes?),
it allows me to use the database. Looks like a Win XP secirity message. There
are no messages like this in the Win 98 SE PC. Only one PC is accessing the
database at a time. Any idea why I'm getting this security message?

Thanks

Gis

Hi,

What precisely is the message? Where was the file originally created, on the
XP system or the 98 system?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Gis Bun" <Gis Bun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. For two computers networked. One a Win 98 SE with Office XP and the
> other
> a Windows XP SP2 with Office 2003. There is a share on the Win XP machine
> which the Win 98 SE can fully access. Inside the share is an access
> database.
> The database was probably created in Access XP. When trying to open the
> database in Access 2003, I get a security message. By clicking OK (or
> Yes?),
> it allows me to use the database. Looks like a Win XP secirity message.
> There
> are no messages like this in the Win 98 SE PC. Only one PC is accessing
> the
> database at a time. Any idea why I'm getting this security message?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gis

Hi Rick,

I have to check on the exact wording (although it did say something like
"Windows Security Warning" as the title).

The database resides on the Win XP machine as does the error message when
you open the database.

Thanks

Gis

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What precisely is the message? Where was the file originally created, on the
> XP system or the 98 system?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Gis Bun" <Gis Bun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. For two computers networked. One a Win 98 SE with Office XP and the
> > other
> > a Windows XP SP2 with Office 2003. There is a share on the Win XP machine
> > which the Win 98 SE can fully access. Inside the share is an access
> > database.
> > The database was probably created in Access XP. When trying to open the
> > database in Access 2003, I get a security message. By clicking OK (or
> > Yes?),
> > it allows me to use the database. Looks like a Win XP secirity message.
> > There
> > are no messages like this in the Win 98 SE PC. Only one PC is accessing
> > the
> > database at a time. Any idea why I'm getting this security message?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Gis

Hi,

Sounds like the SP2 warning you get when a file is not native to the system.
Right click the database and choose properties. See if there is an "unblock"
option, probably on the general tab.

--

> Hi Rick,
>
> I have to check on the exact wording (although it did say something like
> "Windows Security Warning" as the title).
>
> The database resides on the Win XP machine as does the error message when
> you open the database.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gis
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What precisely is the message? Where was the file originally created, on
>> the
>> XP system or the 98 system?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Gis Bun" <Gis Bun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi. For two computers networked. One a Win 98 SE with Office XP and the
>> > other
>> > a Windows XP SP2 with Office 2003. There is a share on the Win XP
>> > machine
>> > which the Win 98 SE can fully access. Inside the share is an access
>> > database.
>> > The database was probably created in Access XP. When trying to open the
>> > database in Access 2003, I get a security message. By clicking OK (or
>> > Yes?),
>> > it allows me to use the database. Looks like a Win XP secirity message.
>> > There
>> > are no messages like this in the Win 98 SE PC. Only one PC is accessing
>> > the
>> > database at a time. Any idea why I'm getting this security message?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Gis

Hi Rick,

The file I'm opening is a database and not an EXE. So why would this happen.
Would I need the "unblock" every time or just once (if that's a solution).
The database may be Access 2000 compatible (or created).

The message when opening the database file is:

Security Warning (this is in the title bar)

Opening "C:\Database\Database 2004.mdb"

This may not be safe if it contains code that was intended to harm your
computer.
Do you want to open this file or cancel the operation.

Then there is the options to Cancel, Open or More Info. the latter doesn't
give much.

Thanks

Gis

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sounds like the SP2 warning you get when a file is not native to the system.
> Right click the database and choose properties. See if there is an "unblock"
> option, probably on the general tab.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Gis Bun" <GisBun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Rick,
> >
> > I have to check on the exact wording (although it did say something like
> > "Windows Security Warning" as the title).
> >
> > The database resides on the Win XP machine as does the error message when
> > you open the database.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Gis
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> What precisely is the message? Where was the file originally created, on
> >> the
> >> XP system or the 98 system?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Gis Bun" <Gis Bun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi,

Yes, that's the warning I thought it was. An SP2 machine will create that
warning for any file that is downloaded to it, as it treats all non-native
files as potentially harmful. The unblock should only have to be done once.

--

> Hi Rick,
>
> The file I'm opening is a database and not an EXE. So why would this
> happen.
> Would I need the "unblock" every time or just once (if that's a solution).
> The database may be Access 2000 compatible (or created).
>
> The message when opening the database file is:
>
> Security Warning (this is in the title bar)
>
> Opening "C:\Database\Database 2004.mdb"
>
> This may not be safe if it contains code that was intended to harm your
> computer.
> Do you want to open this file or cancel the operation.
>
> Then there is the options to Cancel, Open or More Info. the latter doesn't
> give much.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gis
>

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sounds like the SP2 warning you get when a file is not native to the
>> system.
>> Right click the database and choose properties. See if there is an
>> "unblock"
>> option, probably on the general tab.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Gis Bun" <GisBun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Rick,
>> >
>> > I have to check on the exact wording (although it did say something
>> > like
>> > "Windows Security Warning" as the title).
>> >
>> > The database resides on the Win XP machine as does the error message
>> > when
>> > you open the database.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Gis

Thanks Rick,

I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Gis

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, that's the warning I thought it was. An SP2 machine will create that
> warning for any file that is downloaded to it, as it treats all non-native
> files as potentially harmful. The unblock should only have to be done once.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Gis Bun" <GisBun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Rick,
> >
> > The file I'm opening is a database and not an EXE. So why would this
> > happen.
> > Would I need the "unblock" every time or just once (if that's a solution).
> > The database may be Access 2000 compatible (or created).
> >
> > The message when opening the database file is:
> >
> > Security Warning (this is in the title bar)
> >
> > Opening "C:\Database\Database 2004.mdb"
> >
> > This may not be safe if it contains code that was intended to harm your
> > computer.
> > Do you want to open this file or cancel the operation.
> >
> > Then there is the options to Cancel, Open or More Info. the latter doesn't
> > give much.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Gis
> >

> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Sounds like the SP2 warning you get when a file is not native to the
> >> system.
> >> Right click the database and choose properties. See if there is an
> >> "unblock"
> >> option, probably on the general tab.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Gis Bun" <GisBun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi Rick,

I tried it on an old database on my PC that's on my PC and I did not see an
"Unblock" anywhere (when right clicking on the database from the win Explorer.

Access' help said that I can also drop the security level for the macros
down to low (help says as long as I trust the source - I do - and anti-virus
is installed - it is).

Gis

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, that's the warning I thought it was. An SP2 machine will create that
> warning for any file that is downloaded to it, as it treats all non-native
> files as potentially harmful. The unblock should only have to be done once.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Gis Bun" <GisBun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Rick,
> >
> > The file I'm opening is a database and not an EXE. So why would this
> > happen.
> > Would I need the "unblock" every time or just once (if that's a solution).
> > The database may be Access 2000 compatible (or created).
> >
> > The message when opening the database file is:
> >
> > Security Warning (this is in the title bar)
> >
> > Opening "C:\Database\Database 2004.mdb"
> >
> > This may not be safe if it contains code that was intended to harm your
> > computer.
> > Do you want to open this file or cancel the operation.
> >
> > Then there is the options to Cancel, Open or More Info. the latter doesn't
> > give much.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Gis
> >

> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Sounds like the SP2 warning you get when a file is not native to the
> >> system.
> >> Right click the database and choose properties. See if there is an
> >> "unblock"
> >> option, probably on the general tab.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Gis Bun" <GisBun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi,

It's only going to be on a non-native file, and then only on a SP2 installed
machine.

--

> Hi Rick,
>
> I tried it on an old database on my PC that's on my PC and I did not see
> an
> "Unblock" anywhere (when right clicking on the database from the win
> Explorer.
>
> Access' help said that I can also drop the security level for the macros
> down to low (help says as long as I trust the source - I do - and
> anti-virus
> is installed - it is).
>
> Gis
>

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, that's the warning I thought it was. An SP2 machine will create that
>> warning for any file that is downloaded to it, as it treats all
>> non-native
>> files as potentially harmful. The unblock should only have to be done
>> once.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Gis Bun" <GisBun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Rick,
>> >
>> > The file I'm opening is a database and not an EXE. So why would this
>> > happen.
>> > Would I need the "unblock" every time or just once (if that's a
>> > solution).
>> > The database may be Access 2000 compatible (or created).
>> >
>> > The message when opening the database file is:
>> >
>> > Security Warning (this is in the title bar)
>> >
>> > Opening "C:\Database\Database 2004.mdb"
>> >
>> > This may not be safe if it contains code that was intended to harm
>> > your
>> > computer.
>> > Do you want to open this file or cancel the operation.
>> >
>> > Then there is the options to Cancel, Open or More Info. the latter
>> > doesn't
>> > give much.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Gis

Hi Rick,

I figured it was a SP2 "thing". How do you define "non-native" file? A MDB
file older than what's opening it (i.e. An Access 2000 file opened in Access
2003)?

Thanks

Gis

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's only going to be on a non-native file, and then only on a SP2 installed
> machine.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Gis Bun" <GisBun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Rick,
> >
> > I tried it on an old database on my PC that's on my PC and I did not see
> > an
> > "Unblock" anywhere (when right clicking on the database from the win
> > Explorer.
> >
> > Access' help said that I can also drop the security level for the macros
> > down to low (help says as long as I trust the source - I do - and
> > anti-virus
> > is installed - it is).
> >
> > Gis
> >

> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Yes, that's the warning I thought it was. An SP2 machine will create that
> >> warning for any file that is downloaded to it, as it treats all
> >> non-native
> >> files as potentially harmful. The unblock should only have to be done
> >> once.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Gis Bun" <GisBun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi Gis,

"non-native" meaning that the file was created on a different system, then
imported or copied to it. Doesn't matter where or how old, or what type of
system.

--

> Hi Rick,
>
> I figured it was a SP2 "thing". How do you define "non-native" file? A MDB
> file older than what's opening it (i.e. An Access 2000 file opened in
> Access
> 2003)?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gis
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It's only going to be on a non-native file, and then only on a SP2
>> installed
>> machine.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Gis Bun" <GisBun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Rick,
>> >
>> > I tried it on an old database on my PC that's on my PC and I did not
>> > see
>> > an
>> > "Unblock" anywhere (when right clicking on the database from the win
>> > Explorer.
>> >
>> > Access' help said that I can also drop the security level for the
>> > macros
>> > down to low (help says as long as I trust the source - I do - and
>> > anti-virus
>> > is installed - it is).
>> >
>> > Gis

Ah. That "non-native".