Lurker says Thanks, a Question, and a Comment

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
September 19, 2004 3:15:02 PM

After perusing this group for a while yesterday I am now able to stream live
video from my website using Windows Media Encoder.

There was a little trial and error involved involving my IP (behind a router
and misreported by WME) but I managed to get it sorted out.

I also ran into a little difficulty with the HTML, but I solved that by
visiting Noel's page and "borrowing" the code. :-)

So I wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all you knowledgable people who gave
me the information I needed to stream live video without spending a cent.

Now here's my question;

If I understand it correctly, people who use Linux or Macs will not be able
to see the stream created via WME. Is this correct?

Also as an aside to Noel .... I don't know if anybody else is having the
same problem but;

http://webcam.kijk.info/ crashes both my browsers. [Win XP (sp2) IE6
6.0-2900-2180 and Netscape 7.1]
September 19, 2004 3:15:03 PM

Thom wrote:

>http://webcam.kijk.info/ crashes both my browsers.

I dont like Windows Media for that reason. Perhaps you are not giving
it enough time to work. Let it sit for a few minutes before you kill
your browsers.

That camera works for me after a few minutes of "hang-time" and it looks
like a great place to have a robotic camera. Whomever owns it should
replace it with a PTZ camera so we can look around.

http://www.camerapad.com/parts/picturetel/index.asp#ptz...

NOTE: I have modified my reply-to address to avoid
Unsolicited Commercial Email. To respond to me directly,
please remove the dotUCE in the reply-to address.
September 19, 2004 4:31:13 PM

Rowdy <rowdy1970.UCE@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thom wrote:
>
>>http://webcam.kijk.info/ crashes both my browsers.
>>

> I dont like Windows Media for that reason. Perhaps you are not giving
> it enough time to work. Let it sit for a few minutes before you kill
> your browsers.

I think you misunderstood. I said it "crashes" both browsers. I'm not
taking any action on my end.

Netscape 7.1 just shuts down completely, and MSIE throws up the infamous
"Has to close down - would I like to send an error report" message.

> That camera works for me after a few minutes of "hang-time" and it
> looks like a great place to have a robotic camera. Whomever owns it
> should replace it with a PTZ camera so we can look around.

I get as far as the splash, then it says "buffering", then *both* browsers
just quit on their own.

For whatever it's worth? As I mentioned previously, I'm using the same code
"Noel" is for the camera, and am experiencing no problems whatsoever. So
I'll have to assume there's something else on Noel's page that's causing the
crashes?
September 19, 2004 9:01:34 PM

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:08:08 -0500, Rowdy
<rowdy1970.UCE@hotmail.com> wrote:

>That camera works for me after a few minutes of "hang-time" and it looks
>like a great place to have a robotic camera. Whomever owns it should
>replace it with a PTZ camera so we can look around.
>
>http://www.camerapad.com/parts/picturetel/index.asp#ptz...

Media encoder doesn't work well with pan/tilt setups due to the
~15-20 sec. buffering lag. Each time you move the cam you have to
wait this length of time before you can see the new cam position.
The sites that do use media encoder with moving cams have to have
a prominant note explaining the lag, otherwise the viewer keeps
trying to move the cam and not seeing any immediate result.
September 19, 2004 9:01:35 PM

Si Ballenger <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:08:08 -0500, Rowdy
> <rowdy1970.UCE@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>That camera works for me after a few minutes of "hang-time" and it
>>looks like a great place to have a robotic camera. Whomever owns it
>>should replace it with a PTZ camera so we can look around.
>>
>>http://www.camerapad.com/parts/picturetel/index.asp#ptz...
>
> Media encoder doesn't work well with pan/tilt setups due to the
> ~15-20 sec. buffering lag. Each time you move the cam you have to
> wait this length of time before you can see the new cam position.
> The sites that do use media encoder with moving cams have to have
> a prominant note explaining the lag, otherwise the viewer keeps
> trying to move the cam and not seeing any immediate result.

But what I'm saying is that I can't even get *that* far as it pertains to;

http://webcam.kijk.info/

If I click that link with Netscape 7.1 .. I will see the splash part of the
cam that says, "Welcome to Amersfoort, please stand by" Then it begins to
buffer, then Netscape just crashes and disappears off my screen.

Same thing with IE6. Except instead of just closing, IE6 will toss up the,
"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." message,
and offer to send an "error report" to Microsoft.

I can copy and paste the details of the "error" if anyone's interested.

WindowsXP (SP2) if it matters.
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 11:14:39 PM

"Thom" <Thom@no.invalid> wrote in message
| After perusing this group for a while yesterday I am now able to stream
live
| video from my website using Windows Media Encoder.
|
| There was a little trial and error involved involving my IP (behind a
router
| and misreported by WME) but I managed to get it sorted out.
|
| I also ran into a little difficulty with the HTML, but I solved that by
| visiting Noel's page and "borrowing" the code. :-)
|
| So I wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all you knowledgable people who gave
| me the information I needed to stream live video without spending a cent.
|
| Now here's my question;
|
| If I understand it correctly, people who use Linux or Macs will not be
able
| to see the stream created via WME. Is this correct?
|
| Also as an aside to Noel .... I don't know if anybody else is having the
| same problem but;
|
| http://webcam.kijk.info/ crashes both my browsers. [Win XP (sp2) IE6
| 6.0-2900-2180 and Netscape 7.1]

Thom,

Are you using Windows Media Player 10 and do you have some "extra" codec's
installed?
If so.. this might be the reason of IE6 and Netscape crashing.

If not I might have found a bug that is effecting IE and Netscape :-)

Re: Linux or Macs will not be able to see the stream created via WME.
I think that a Mac can see the stream, but I'm not 100% sure about the Linux
systems!

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Noël® <n03l@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote:

> "Thom" <Thom@no.invalid> wrote in message

> | After perusing this group for a while yesterday I am now able to
> | stream live video from my website using Windows Media Encoder.
> |
> | There was a little trial and error involved involving my IP (behind
> | a router and misreported by WME) but I managed to get it sorted out.
> |
> | I also ran into a little difficulty with the HTML, but I solved
> | that by visiting Noel's page and "borrowing" the code. :-)
> |
> | So I wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all you knowledgable people
> | who gave me the information I needed to stream live video without
> | spending a cent.
> |
> | Now here's my question;
> |
> | If I understand it correctly, people who use Linux or Macs will not
> | be able to see the stream created via WME. Is this correct?
> |
> | Also as an aside to Noel .... I don't know if anybody else is
> | having the same problem but;
> |
> | http://webcam.kijk.info/ crashes both my browsers. [Win XP (sp2)
> | IE6
> | 6.0-2900-2180 and Netscape 7.1]
> |

> Thom,
>
> Are you using Windows Media Player 10 and do you have some "extra"
> codec's installed?
> If so.. this might be the reason of IE6 and Netscape crashing.

Yes to WMP-10, but No to any "extra" codecs.

I'm using the same HTML for the cam on my web-page as you are, and am not
experiencing any trouble. Thank you for that, by the way. :-) If you would
find the information in the IE6 "error report" helpful? I'd be happy to
provide it for you.

> If not I might have found a bug that is effecting IE and Netscape :-)

Cool! :-)

> Re: Linux or Macs will not be able to see the stream created via WME.
> I think that a Mac can see the stream, but I'm not 100% sure about
> the Linux systems!

Thanks for that.

Thom
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 12:01:33 AM

| > Thom,
| >
| > Are you using Windows Media Player 10 and do you have some "extra"
| > codec's installed?
| > If so.. this might be the reason of IE6 and Netscape crashing.
|
| Yes to WMP-10, but No to any "extra" codecs.
|
| I'm using the same HTML for the cam on my web-page as you are, and am not
| experiencing any trouble. Thank you for that, by the way. :-) If you
would
| find the information in the IE6 "error report" helpful? I'd be happy to
| provide it for you.
|
| > If not I might have found a bug that is effecting IE and Netscape :-)
|
| Cool! :-)
|
| > Re: Linux or Macs will not be able to see the stream created via WME.
| > I think that a Mac can see the stream, but I'm not 100% sure about
| > the Linux systems!
|
| Thanks for that.

Thom, there is no need for the "error report", as you are not the only one
who's got this error!
I've seen it on some other PC's already all running Windows Media Player 10

Here is the crazy thing! When you connect directly to my stream, Windows
Media Player 10 will not crash!
mms://webcam.kijk.info/webcam

What exact version of Windows Media Player 10 are you running ?

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

| Here is the crazy thing! When you connect directly to my stream, Windows
| Media Player 10 will not crash!
| mms://webcam.kijk.info/webcam

Err... It will also crash :-)

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Noël® <n03l@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote:

> | Here is the crazy thing! When you connect directly to my stream,
> | Windows Media Player 10 will not crash!
> | mms://webcam.kijk.info/webcam
> |

> Err... It will also crash :-)

Yes. It does.

IF it matters, I'm using WMP 10.00.00.3646

I get your usual splash, then it changes to "Oops cam is down", then goes to
what looks like a test pattern, then crashes.

Thom
!