Does this look right? CPU placement Q

Bluebard

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I just put the fan atop the CPU. I just want to know if this looks okay. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400.

cpupic2on9.jpg

Basically, the fan sort of "snapped in" the 4 holes and I can't really move the unit around at all. Heck, I can't even get it out. I just wanted to know and wanted to know if the cable to attach the fan will be okay?

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I just put the fan atop the CPU. I just want to know if this looks okay. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400.

cpupic2on9.jpg

Basically, the fan sort of "snapped in" the 4 holes and I can't really move the unit around at all. Heck, I can't even get it out. I just wanted to know and wanted to know if the cable to attach the fan will be okay?

90% of the time when a CPU Heatsink is installed its not that its put in wrong(direction wise), but that its not making contact with the CPU correctly. This is impossible to tell by your pic. Your only inclination of an improperly installed HSF is temps being high. If temps are good, then your good.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
If the heatsink is making good contact with the processor and the cpu fan power cable plugs into the terminal marked "cpufan" on the motherboard then your in good shape.
I'm assuming that there was some sort of thermal tape or thermal grease on the heatsink where it contacts the processor, some heatsinks have a pre-applied amount, some don't.