trigger07

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Hi everyone, I was after some advice on an upgrade.

I currently have an Athlon 64 FX-55, 1GB of G.Skill DDR RAM, a DFI nF4 Ultra-D and a Gainward 7950GT. I want to get some more speed out of my system and I'm thinking of adding 2GB of RAM and selling the old 1GB kit. The thing I'm not sure about upgrading is the processor. It is used mostly for gaming, but also some video and graphics editing as well as work. It's not that things are slow in-game, but load times are frustratingly slow with 1GB of RAM.

I don't want to spend too much on the CPU, so it looks like the X2 4200+ Socket 939 is the best option, however I'm not sure if I would see much of a performance increase over my FX-55 in games.

I'm also tempted by the similarly priced E6300/E6400, although this would require a new motherboard and RAM, which is alright I suppose considering I'm buying new RAM anyway, but I'd rather not unless a Core 2 Duo would be considerably faster than the FX-55 or X2 4200+

So basically I have three options - keep the FX-55 and add 2GB of RAM, upgrade to 2GB of RAM and an X2 4200+, or go for a Core 2 Duo CPU + Motherboard + RAM. Any advice would be much appreciated.

edit: oh dear it would appear I've posted this in the wrong section, can I move it?

UAL3312

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
you wont see much gain from 1GB to 2GB of RAM the extra RAM does help but not unless you use large applications like MSFS X witch takes up a massive15GB of my hard drive and a shitload of ram but even then unless running other apps it doesnt go over the full 2gigz as far as the C2D it is conciderably faster i have one of those new fancy schmanzzy systems most people drool over C2D 6600 2 Raptors RAID0 2 Gigz corsair XMS and an 8800GTX plus the eVGA 680 i Mainboard last system i had had one of those AMD FX-57's Asus mobo and a 7800 2 Gigz ram, the C2D is lightning fast, i would most certainly reccomend upgrading to the Core 2 i AM a Hardcore AMD fan, but AMD lost their spot in my ULTRA SUPER GAMER HALL OF FAME when Intel made the Core 2, just my opinion though

4745454b

Titan
First, I disagree about the RAM. Depending on the game, 2GBs is quickly becoming the recommended. As for long load times, seing as you have a good CPU, whats your harddrive(s) like? If your using an older 5400/7200RPM drive, its time for a newer faster one. Even the newer 7200RPM drives with larger buffers and bit densities will help with load times. Depending on your budget, I'd try upgrading the RAM and harddrive to see if that does the trick.

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I think you have a very nice system as it is. If your itching to upgrade you can't go wrong with a core2 duo, although if I were you and I was itching to upgrade I would get an X2 4600+ on newegg for about 250 bucks.

You probably won't get much of a performance benefit from more RAM, but it might be worth it if you can find some sticks with much better timings.

If you can wait 6 months to a year Intel and AMD have some great new chips, chipsets, and sockets coming out.

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I somewhat agree with you on the RAM you will probably get to put those 2 gigs to use especially for some of the upcoming games. Load time? load time is probably the least important thing to most gamers.

4745454b

Titan
It matters to this one, he said so in his first post.

It's not that things are slow in-game, but load times are frustratingly slow with 1GB of RAM.

Load times are mainly dependant on two things, the CPU and the harddrive. He has a good CPU, and failed to even mention his harddrives. I'm guessing they are carryovers from an older system.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Not enough detail on current specs to determine...

HD's?
Mem type?
GPU's?
Monitor?
MB? Etc.

Also define 'slow loading' a bit better...

Basically, what you seem to have is a very nice mid-range system. I'd probably be patient for a few months, save up a bunch... And then spend my money wisely. Things are in flux. Wait for the market to stabize a bit. DDR2 is way too high, the new MB's are over-priced, the new graphics cards likewise...

(But HD's, especially the new SATA's, are quite reasonable.)

My 2p worth.

trigger07

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Sorry I forgot to mention I have a 74GB Raptor (16MB cache model) which has apps and windows on it, and a western digital WD2500KS (SATAII, 250GB, 16MB) storage drive, so I don't think it's those. I'm just going to grab 2GB of DDR1 RAM before it disappears and that should tide me over until next year. I can skip DDR2 altogether, as Intels new platform will apparently make use of DDR3 :)

edit:
specs -
FX-55
CNPS9500
DFI LP UT nF4 Ultra-D
G.Skill 1GBZX Dual channel kit <- upgrading this to 2GB
Gainward 7950GT
74GB Raptor 16MB (boot + apps)
250GB SATAII 16MB (storage)
OCZ GameXStream 600W
Antec 900
17" LG Flat CRT

Jinx13

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Upgrade the ram now as you are planning. If you have an interested buyer for what you have now sell it and get 2x1 gig sticks instead of 4x512, which is what I assume you have.

I'm with you on skipping ddr2 altogether. For gaming you will have little visible difference between your FX and the c2d. Benchmarks will give the c2d better numbers, but you until games are multi threaded you will be just fine.