Help me decide between two cases!

snowie

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
which case is better? Thermaltake Tsunami Dream? or Lian Li PC 7BW GT?
I have heard good things about both cases, and I was wondering which would better suit my needs of overclocking~ etc. So better cooling

http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?106196 - For the Lian Li
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/midtower/tsunami/bwa/bwa.asp
for the thermaltake

I have heard good things about both cases and that it is merely a matter of preference.

can someone give me some advice? i don't mind either when it comes to looks but the thermaltake tsunami is calling my name :p

Everyone I have asked has told me the Lian Li is alot better, but can anyone tell me why?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
yeah, i like Lian-Li case's, but i also like thermaltake's, and if you like the thermaltake more then you should go with that one.

snowie

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
so the difference is there, it just won't be noticeable?
As I am planning to overclock a new C2D 6400 to about 3.0ghz.
Thanks.

snowie

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
the thermaltake one, seems to be alot more userfriendly aswell, with screwless design etc, and very stylish ergonomic features which the Lian Li just doesn't seem to have.

So I guess I'll be getting the thermaltake one

Samuelier

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
I've built many Pcs based on all the latest cases from TT and Coolermaster. I have no experience with Lian-Li, since in Italy they're extremely expensive and hardly available, so you can't consider this a direct comparison..

On Thermaltake Tsunami:
- the front door impedes optimal airflow for the intake fan
- the screwless fixing mechanism for cards doesn't work, but so it is for 95% of this systems: you'll have to remove the little plastic green things and use screws
- all the cabling coming from the top mounted ports are just an inch too short to be passed behind or around the motherboard tray. I usually fix them between the motherboard and the tray itsels, but be careful: you could damage them. To sum up.. they get in the way.
- the included fans are quite noisy, you might want to limit them hooking them to the motherboard (and using Bios speed adjustments) or to a control panel.
- the quality is a tad "cheap" in some places (mind, just a tad, but you could be annoyed).

On Thermaltake Shark (which is a great case, but I guess you were going for a smaller case):
- same problem with the front air intake/door

You might consider the CoolerMaster Centurion 534: forget the Centurion T01, which was a faux pas for CM (nice outside, cheapest case ever inside). The 534 has a nice look (blue leds in the front see-through grilles), great finishing quality, plastic duct over the Cpu (it proved to be a nice cooling advantage with most of air hs: your experience may vary, but it sure won't make things worse) and a nice 12x12 side fan placed over the Gpu. Also, its screwless fixing mechanism could be the first ever to actually fix cards in place..

I'm no CM fanboy or reseller, I just build gaming rigs, so this is just some experience :)

--
Samuel

snowie

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
hmmm, I love the shark, I'm actually very interested in purchasing it, I'm just wondering, the extra dust that comes in through the honeycomb side panel and the, front air problem, is it enough to sway me to another direction?

like i know, more dust will enter, but a HUGE amount more?
How big are these problems? cause frankly, the Tsunami anD Shark look absolutely awesome.
Thanks.

Samuelier

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
If size is not an issue, then you might want the "full" Armor. On the inside, the Jr version is more like the Tsunami..

The full Armor is a different concept, there are no 3,5/5 1/4 drive bays, it's all 5 1/4 bays from top to bottom, and uses a nice module to mount 3,5" peripherals in those slots. Moreover, it has a beatiful 25cm (yes, 25cm) side fan..

It's the same concept you find in CoolerMaster Stacker, which you could also consider. Go for the OLD Stacker though: on the new 810 redesigned model they have removed the top Psu cage to make room for some huge Atx motherboard, but I'm quite sure you won't be mounting one.. And you also loose a 12cm exhaust fan (replaced by two 8cm) and the ability to mount your primary Psu to the top (could lead to cabling issues).

The 830 is nice, but too expensive..

The Shark is a beauty to see (I have always used the black version, I'd like to see a silver one in RLl), but it _does_ have dust issues: you'll have to clean it quite often with compressed air (ALWAYS remember to prevent fans from spinning when you use air).

The full Armor and the old Stacker give you great ventilation and complete freedom on the way you'll be assembling everything inside.

--
Samuel

snowie

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
I can't get the "Full" armor, as I am very very tight on cash.
These cases which I am deciding on, the Tsunami, Shark and Armor JR are pushing the limits between what I can afford. So yeah.

Anything above this price I can't really afford (being a student! don't have alot of $$$)

I'm not sure which is the best choice between Tsunami, Shark, and Armor Jr, as Tsunami, just seems overall good, Shark visually awesome, nice room, good space and features, Armor Jr, I have no idea, I just heard good about it.

Also, the Shark is fully aluminium which is a nice bonus.

snowie

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
because, firstly, I have no idea how to mod my case , I don't have the time to mod my case, and I have never modded anything.

I have also heard, a good case is important and personally, I just want to have a nice looking computer.

What is a nice 'basic' and 'cheap' case which you might recommened?
Because, I plan to overclock my new system, E6400 and 7900GT etc.
I heard case can be a bit important.

Samuelier

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
I would really go for the CM Centurion 534 then, it's just 50U$ or so, but its quality is on par (and maybe superior) to all the others you mentioned. And it has lots of advantages over those three TT when it comes to cooling.

If you don't like the look of it, try to see one for real: I didn't like the photos either, but when I took the first out of the box, I realised they really don't do justice to its satin black, and to its smooth blue illumination :)

--
Samuel

snowie

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
hmm? The Centurion 534 where I live is 15$ US cheaper than the other cases mentioned.

The Coolermaster range seems very expensive here where I come from, compared to the USA.

So yeah, Thermaltake seems alot cheaper, they are all on about the same price level.. ($200 NZD)