bert77

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
ok my PC failed. I discovered that the chipset fan on the MB was faulty, likely causing it to over heat. So i removed the fan and heat sink that came on the board (ASUS A8N SLI deluxe) and installed a zalman heatsink in its place with a new case fan at the front blowing accross the MB. Getting the heatsink in was very tricky and i made 2 attempts before it fitted up correctly. So then i went about installing XP, all was fine until i went to install the display driver for the video card. I got a message at the installation saying that setup could not find the correct hardware or software configuration. So i open the case and make sure the video card is secure in the slot and try again, same result. I then disable the system set VGA driver and restart. Now the operating system goes as far as the xp logo screen on startup and then goes black, whats wrong, please help....................

bert77

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
specs:

ASUS A8N SLI deluxe mobo
ATI Radeon X700 video card
2 x 512MB DDR400 RAM
Seagate 160GB sata HD - 1 only
sony CRX320 combo drive
sony DVDR drive (cant remember model)
450W power supply

thats it really

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Let me guess.... When you replaced the chipset fan, the NB chipset was all bubbly and bumpy...

Good luck getting an RMA...

DFI Lanparty nf4 sli dr expert is a good replacement, no issues yet. I think there's a newer version, but haven't looked for one in the year or so since I tried to RMA the same board.

Others may swear by them, but I'll never buy asus again. 3 MB's, none rma'd properly, a psu and a cpu fried on the last one.... Not to mention 3 months trying to deal with their support.

Not to brag, but my time alone is worth more than the new MB cost.

Good luck.