Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ATI, I hate you.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2006 9:25:50 AM

Problem: ATI X850PRO AGP card gives the popular "VPU recover" error message, if not, my system hangs or reboots.

Specifications: ECS NFORCE3-A, Sempron 3100(2350MHZ OC'd), 2x512MB Patriot 533MHZ DDR, WD Raptor 74GB, Seagate 80GB, LG external DVD/CD burner, "ATI X850pro AGP".

Trials and Errors:
-I updated MB bios, updated every drivers, ran all hardware @ default speeds, underclocked the video card, underclocked RAM, increased voltages to CPU and RAM, disabled sideband, disabled fastwrites, set AGP to 4X, tried omega drivers, tried original CD driver, can't increase chipset or agp voltage. There's probably a lot of other tests I ruled out that I haven't mentioned.

Research: Problem goes back a long way. Back to the ATI Radeon 9xxx's, and maybe further. Furthers symptoms include the latter and newer models too, like the x1950's, and x1XXX's.

Thoughts: Problem has been existed for a couple of years.

Logic: problem is major, and probably won't be fixed in near time future. Therefore, ditch the product for fewer problems down the road.

Question: Why are they selling me a $250.00 card that fails.

Solution: Bought an NVIDIA 6600. Passes prime95 for 20 hours and random hourly gamings.

Thoughts again: NVIDIA, thank God your still alive.

Final thoughts: As for the "ATI x850pro AGP", sorry but you are a failure, and I'm putting you on Ebay and selling you, that's if someone wants to buy you(we'll see after the auctions ends). http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-X850pro-AGP_W0QQitemZ1900594172...

More about : ati hate

December 6, 2006 10:34:57 AM

dude you've got issues,
you've mentioned that you ran prime95 four hours, but what the **** has this to do with your gfx-card?
and if your problem happens with other graphics cards, you probably have a bad mobo.
personally i always use nvidia, because they have great dual/triple display capabilities, but ati also makes great cards, maybe you have had just bad luck, that your card was made on a lazy Friday-afternoon?
what would happen if the nvidia cad should fail on you? you turn to integrated graphics from intel? if that fails? design your own?

at least you are honest enough to mention on ebay that the card gives errors!
December 6, 2006 11:17:43 AM

I had the same issue when playing Company of Heroes (and only COH, I run an X800 GTO AGP), I found it was the Catalyst control centre playing silly buggers, uninstalled it and haven't had any problems since.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 6, 2006 11:43:25 AM

I had the same problem in my old rig.. I had a Radeon 9550 256MB (back in 2004). I found that if i used any ATI drivers other than what the card came with, it would give me the VPU recover issue. Also, ATI discourages one to update to newer drivers if you dont have any issues with your current drivers. (On the old ATI site)

Then that damn card eventually failed, so it was replaced with a 9600XT.
Since then, i only buy nVidia. Its a superior product.. IMO
December 6, 2006 11:44:23 AM

Wasn't ATI's fault this was lack of a decent PSU, which is why a 600 series video card works (ATI or nVidia, a 600 series would've worked), and why a high power requirement ATI Radeon X850 Pro / XT / XT PE failed.

It is called "reading the manual" 8)

Here are the recommended PSUs:

ATI: http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/buildyourown2.h...

nVidia: http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html#ce...
nVidia PDF: http://users.on.net/~darkpeace/psu/List_of_Recommended_...
December 6, 2006 2:14:47 PM

:roll:

ATI = EVIL

oh yeah... and;

nV Eats Babies !

S3 has sex with animals !

only MATROX is acceptable because they only have sex with your mom, and really, who doesn't have sex with UCD's mom?

:twisted:
December 6, 2006 2:30:53 PM

Just to make a long story short, cause I hate explaining myself, anyways, I said there were a couple of things I didn't mention, and one of that was I had ruled out already the power supply. I had bought an Ultra V series(600 Watts, DUAL RAILS, SLI CERTIFIED) to test the system. Still the same errors. I already knew it was a faulty card when I went to Fry's Electronics (Big Electronic Store in USA) just to pick up the power supply. I was just in denial cause I couldn't bare the pain of the money I was going to lose. But oh well, life goes on.

When I said I test it in prime 95, I just said that because I wanted to emphazize that I retested just to make sure everything was still okay, since I changed configuration to NVIDIA. Also, I mentioned my hourly gamings was stable, and is still stable right now, with my good old "Thermal Take pure power 430 watts". I almost thought it was junk, but I was wrong and I realized how good it was.

No hard feelings
December 6, 2006 2:46:18 PM

had same problem with a 9600xt but only in some games, it all startet when i smacked 512 more memory in my machine, very annoying.
i have a x850xt and a x800gto and no problem there :b so i still buy ati.. well not because im a fanboy but it has higher fps in the games i play :b
December 6, 2006 2:48:38 PM

Well i can say that i had that happen with my 9800Pro...only on some games.....
it was very annoying. I would come and go with the new drivers....yet i could sometimes install those same drivers after a windows install and they would be just fine.....never did track it down....it just went away.....

i think my X850pro(flashed XT) may have done it too....but only on 1 game....farcry(the only game this ever happened on to me)....was a piss off....

just running the drivers only and no CCC fixes this....so i can only blame CCC....i have not seen that error in a long time...and the x850 still runs to this day....my 1900xt(with ccc) has been good....if it's bad i will have to slap it....
December 6, 2006 2:51:16 PM

Quote:
:roll:

ATI = EVIL

oh yeah... and;

nV Eats Babies !

S3 has sex with animals !

only MATROX is acceptable because they only have sex with your mom, and really, who doesn't have sex with UCD's mom?

:twisted:

I'd like to see some Matrox benchmarks... I bet the Matrox Mystique would rock the 8800GTX so bad it's not even funny! :lol: 
December 6, 2006 2:55:02 PM

But you bought the card from Ebay.... Ebay of all places.... why that one? I mean... you want a guarantee on whether anything you purchase actually works, then go buy from a proper online store... if you wish to gamble, go ahead, buy from ebay... just don't come here with BS on how a certain company sucks when the origin of the problem is so clear to see...

Quite a lot of people sell on old/faulty gear through ebay, amongst proper working gear, so buying through ebay does not guarentee you with a functioning component. I have had many ATI cards over the years, my lil bro still is using an overclocked 9600XT which works to this day, and the only ATI card to die on me was a X800GTO AGP, and I narrowed the problem down to faulty memory (plus this problem only arised after I tried to OC the card, so silly me). All my cards were bought from places other than ebay, and all worked nicely when I put them into my system. Plus, Prime95 tests CPUs, not graphics cards... so no hard feelings when I say this, enough with the BS. :roll:
December 6, 2006 3:02:45 PM

If you pay attention to what I wrote, I never bought the card from EBAY. I'm selling the card on EBAY. I actually bought the card a year ago from Best Buy.
December 6, 2006 3:02:50 PM

That sums it up. Mods, please lock thread now ;) .
December 6, 2006 3:05:34 PM

Best Buy? Meh... one notch up from Ebay, but also just as risky... still, don't hate ATI for one faulty card... nvidia also get the occassional faulty card, just search around the forums and you'll see others with problems with their nV cards...
December 6, 2006 3:20:02 PM

You're not the only one; I've had the same experience with a PCIE Sapphire x1800 GTO - repeatable crashing in WOW & 3DMark05 & no help from sapphire tech. Got a BFG 7600GT now & love it, the options, & I say nVidia all the way.
Jo
December 6, 2006 3:33:53 PM

You own the card for a year and it dies..then thats just bad luck, not really any of ATI's fault. Product failre happens. I've owned 3 ATI cards (9000pro, x850pro, and now a x1900xtx) none have failed, all have been overclocked at some point (strictly for performance testing).

Basically your logic is like this analogy: Hey, I bought a jetta, but it had a faulty part a year later so I sold it and bought a cavalier and its still running! Clearly VW sucks and Chevy rules!!!
December 6, 2006 3:52:55 PM

Quote:
I had the same problem in my old rig.. I had a Radeon 9550 256MB (back in 2004). I found that if i used any ATI drivers other than what the card came with, it would give me the VPU recover issue. Also, ATI discourages one to update to newer drivers if you dont have any issues with your current drivers. (On the old ATI site)

Then that damn card eventually failed, so it was replaced with a 9600XT.
Since then, i only buy nVidia. Its a superior product.. IMO

While I dont want to seem an Nvidia fan boy...

I have had exactly two ATI cards, a 9600pro and an X800. Both have been "problematic", with the VPU recover problems, with problems with screen blanking going into windows, etc. When they work, they appear to work well (I ran the 9600pro for a couple years in the same system. I tried moving it to several other systems and kept getting VPU recover errors. ). I finally went back to 2004 drivers and just gave up.

Now I am wresting with an X800 PCIE. I installed it in a C2D system, and it worked for about two reboots. Now, the screen goes blank when getting to the XP login screen (system is up, its on the network, I can access drives and services, but no video). I had to remove it from the system and run with the integrated video because I can't get it to work. Frack!

OTOH, I have been through a half dozen Geforce cards through the years, and have no complaints with *any* of them. From a GF2MX to a 7900GS.

I've built about 50 computers in my life, and have no love for ATI products. I don't hate them, but they are definitely second on my list.
December 6, 2006 3:53:31 PM

My logic sure beats your "idea" of "bad luck". (Your car broke down = bad luck. Your dog ate your homework = bad luck,....)
December 6, 2006 3:58:31 PM

I want 3dFX back. The good old days of a really competitive market... With the death of the VooDoo.. so wen't OpenGL.
December 6, 2006 4:02:48 PM

Quote:
dude you've got issues,
you've mentioned that you ran prime95 four hours, but what the **** has this to do with your gfx-card?
because it stresses your video as well as cpu thats why he mentioned it
December 6, 2006 4:12:51 PM

I currently have ATI cards in 4 of my home systems... and they all work great. I have a radeon 9200, 9550, 9700pro and an X800xt and i have never had this problem. although, the quadro4 980xgl board in my workstation died a few months ago :(  (but its not an ATI board). Personally i dont see why just one faulty card would make you not buy ATI again.
December 6, 2006 4:44:55 PM

If you pay attention to what I said before. It's not just one card, it's many cards. It's not just "one time frame", the problems actually goes back a few years, with other models and newer models. Anyways, I already made my descision, and is free of this problem. Sorry if I sound a little harsh, but I hate repeating myself.
December 6, 2006 4:55:31 PM

I've got a x850xt which is overcloked a little bit and haven't had any problems with it in any games so far, looking forward to the r600 and if the benchmarks are good will be upgrading.
December 6, 2006 4:58:15 PM

Well maybe you believe in "bad luck" and "Santa Clause". However, I was replying to cwj717.
December 6, 2006 5:25:18 PM

Did you read the post? Did you research the info posted? How is it just me? LOL (ONE MAD MAN, WITH ONE ANGY FAULTY CARD) And it was all "BAD LUCK". Ay Ya Ya. OMG. Listen to yourself.
Anonymous
December 6, 2006 5:30:51 PM

Quote:
Best Buy? Meh... one notch up from Ebay, but also just as risky... still, don't hate ATI for one faulty card... nvidia also get the occassional faulty card, just search around the forums and you'll see others with problems with their nV cards...

Are you mental? How is Best Buy one step up from Ebay? Its a retail sealed box. Its basically the best you can buy a product. Maybe a bit more price but its factory sealed, where as a lot of mom and dad shops have OEM stuff that is card only and out of box, so seriously who knows if its good or bad.

Think before you speak noob
December 6, 2006 6:23:04 PM

Quote:
sell it on ebay and get an nvidia,then if you have problems you can hate them too :roll:

Actually, wait, if you REALLY want a reliable card you should go with Intel's onboard video! :twisted:
December 6, 2006 6:28:29 PM

Quote:
sell it on ebay and get an nvidia,then if you have problems you can hate them too :roll:

Actually, wait, if you REALLY want a reliable card you should go with Intel's onboard video! :twisted:

I always knew there was good reason i could only live in the shadow of your successes. :p  :p 
Darn right. I totally OC'd my Intel onboard video and I'm gettin' like 10 FPS in HL2 easy. :p 
December 6, 2006 6:32:08 PM

Quote:
If you pay attention to what I said before. It's not just one card, it's many cards. It's not just "one time frame", the problems actually goes back a few years, with other models and newer models. Anyways, I already made my descision, and is free of this problem. Sorry if I sound a little harsh, but I hate repeating myself.

well, in that case... Im probably going to say its most likely something to do with your setup. Possibly your motherboard/chipset. I repair PCs regularly and I have never encountered this problem. I did have a radeon 8500 that did that but after a while the card died. I replaced the card with another radeon card and it worked fine. may I ask what other ATI card(s) you tried?
December 6, 2006 7:06:09 PM

Why didn't you return the hardware to Best Buy when the card started to malfuction?
If you have checked their policy, they will take and exchange faulty hardware if it is under warranty from the manufacturer, unless they don't like you. I have done it dozens of time
I will contact AMD so ATI stop picking on you.
I only hate :twisted: ATI because they won't send me a free X1950XTX video card...well nVidia also rejected my idea about a free 8800GTX.
Also I hate the milk carton :evil:  it should have kept the milk fresh even though I left it outside the fridge for three days.
Things do not work the way they use to back in the days :roll:
December 6, 2006 7:15:23 PM

Quote:
8O 8O 8O omfg youll have to write a white paper up on that. :!: 8O 8O

Hahaha I'm going to entitle it "STFU N00B, my Intel on-board graphics just pwnd your G80". What do you think?
December 6, 2006 7:37:54 PM

well, I have to admit ATI had design issues dating way back... apart from the VPU recover thing, they also have problems in the All-in-wonder line of products

remember something called All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500 DV? The Firewire port on the card has 271KB/s bandwidth (Seriously they shouldn't have put that functionality into the card in the first place; my audigy 1 back then got faster bandwidth from its firewire ports) and then the auxiliary cable (the one connects the capture card onto the cound card so you can record TV and captures from the S-video/composite input) is so heavy in itself it kind of make the card unbootable after a few months (I got the card free from my friend, so can't complain that much)

And do you know they may be secretly reprogramming their WDM drivers since the AMD acquisition (yes, I am referring to the version that existed beforre the acquistion)? For some odd reason the WDM drivers in Catalyst 6.1-6.4 works after AMD bought ATI but never before on my now-spare All-in-Wonder X600; And the TV capture which doesn't work with Catalyst 6.1-6.4 drivers for my All-in-wonder 9800 has myusteriously worked though still kind of sucks with 50% frame drop with the 6.xx drivers (Which my rig with All-in-wonder 9800 now uses Catalyst 5.13 without frame drops with identical settings... stupid ATI)
December 6, 2006 8:27:30 PM

Under normal circumstances, I would go into flame mode at being called a noob, but today, I just don't care...

Besides, its a personal opinion... so I'll just say this "Dude... why don't you chill out?"...
December 6, 2006 8:56:15 PM

Quote:
being from the uk i don't know what best buy is like but if it is like high street pc shops over here it probably aint good. generally their stock is poor with old tech being sold at extortionate prices and all comps will be crappy mainstream things.

am i close or not.

*DING* *DING* *DING* we have a winner!!!!

I recently went to a Best Buy store (to buy a washer/dryer combo) and heard a guy in the stereo department selling a Klipsch home theater setup. He was like "errr.. yeah... this one has like a better frequency response range or whatever... errr... and just listen to that bass! It's much boomier than that cheaper system!" (mind you he had the bass up way too high and it sounded like $hit).

Then, when I went to buy a washer/dryer they had no clue what I was talking about (had to look the model number up for them online). Then I ordered it with a warranty, which they charged me for, then messed up and credited my card, then redid transaction and forgot it (I was like "don't worry... I don't need your warranty on second thought").

Does that give you an idea of what it's like? Haha.
December 6, 2006 8:58:51 PM

I doubt its your video card, in my case, I had the same problem, only it was my HTT bus being over 1100 mhz that was causing the problem. After it was lowered my video card never came up with that error ever again.
December 6, 2006 8:59:33 PM

One last thing... on their web site they call CPUs "CPU Processors". Enough said!
December 6, 2006 9:58:23 PM

I had a similar problem too, my msi K7n2 Delta agp MB was 4x\8x. Every time i went into SmartGart and tried to enable 8x it would lock up too.
Try going with just 4x and see what happens? :wink:

Sorry you did try that
December 6, 2006 10:22:29 PM

I'm pretty sure he said that he already tried that.

-mcg
December 6, 2006 10:35:55 PM

Sorry, maybe i should re-edit my edit :wink:
December 7, 2006 12:16:26 AM

Quote:
Problem: ATI X850PRO AGP card gives the popular "VPU recover" error message, if not, my system hangs or reboots.

Specifications: ECS NFORCE3-A, Sempron 3100(2350MHZ OC'd), 2x512MB Patriot 533MHZ DDR, WD Raptor 74GB, Seagate 80GB, LG external DVD/CD burner, "ATI X850pro AGP".

Trials and Errors:
-I updated MB bios, updated every drivers, ran all hardware @ default speeds, underclocked the video card, underclocked RAM, increased voltages to CPU and RAM, disabled sideband, disabled fastwrites, set AGP to 4X, tried omega drivers, tried original CD driver, can't increase chipset or agp voltage. There's probably a lot of other tests I ruled out that I haven't mentioned.

Research: Problem goes back a long way. Back to the ATI Radeon 9xxx's, and maybe further. Furthers symptoms include the latter and newer models too, like the x1950's, and x1XXX's.

Thoughts: Problem has been existed for a couple of years.

Logic: problem is major, and probably won't be fixed in near time future. Therefore, ditch the product for fewer problems down the road.

Question: Why are they selling me a $250.00 card that fails.

Solution: Bought an NVIDIA 6600. Passes prime95 for 20 hours and random hourly gamings.

Thoughts again: NVIDIA, thank God your still alive.

Final thoughts: As for the "ATI x850pro AGP", sorry but you are a failure, and I'm putting you on Ebay and selling you, that's if someone wants to buy you(we'll see after the auctions ends). http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-X850pro-AGP_W0QQitemZ1900594172...

I could write this same thing about Nvidia Technology, with pure honestly to the letter. That's one of the reasons why I switched to ATI because Nvidia, and of my own personal hate of their software and video cards ...

The only advice I can give to anyone having problems with their computer is to have patience, walk away from the computer and think about what could be the problem ...

My computer a while back went ape shit, and I automatically didn't know what to do ... I took time away from the computer to think of what things did I changer prior to the incident. To my amazement I noticed things I changed in bois/system/etc., but had already forgotten I changed a longtime ago.

Sometimes all it takes is one thing to be changed and for us to forget what we did and our system goes bonkers.
December 7, 2006 8:26:04 AM

It was made over a decade ago I think, for a BBS most likely, by someone I don't know.

I've added a PDF link to that last post since your post btw, use 'fit page' (not 'fit width' when viewing).

Not half bad I say. (Serves well as a peace offering token).
December 7, 2006 8:30:09 AM

Nah, just felt some of the dudes still on 'Page 2' could use a pretty girl to distract them from their arguments, etc. :lol: 

Also messing around with graphic stuff for slides in a rolling screensaver, (well not really, more just ideas for now).
December 7, 2006 8:39:48 AM

Nope, Cheers for link.

Looks easy enough to learn, could be useful for 3D curved lego iconish look graphics after an import to Paint Shop Pro and some edits.

For some 3D graphics things I'd consider the Half-Life 2 engine to be honest though, partial screenshots with alpha blending, etc

Could be useful... I guess.
December 7, 2006 9:06:03 AM

i have 3 ATI's myself and my 9600xt made the VPU recover and i didnt do anything wrong and many cards do it.. i dunno with the x1000 if they have that problem tho
December 7, 2006 9:14:38 AM

What version of ATI/AMD Catalyst drivers are you running ?

What PSU do you use ?
How old is it ?

What mainboard do you have ?
Which drivers are you using on it ?

If you disable VPU Recovery, does something 'bad' happen instead (when you'd usually get the VPU Recovery warning), or was this a once off thing ?
December 7, 2006 9:28:05 AM

i run the newest drivers on my x850xt and my x800gto O.o eh.. its fine..

my friend got my old 9600xt and has the same problem, it all startet when i smacked 512mb ram in my machine but we tryed with 1000 different drivers and same problem :b

doesnt matter if u disable VPU recovery it does the same freezing and goes desktop, many believes its something 2 do with VIA chipset and others something different but the thing is some ATI cards have that VPU recovery problem and the only thing is 2 send it back if u still have the warrenty

ive had good experience with ATI and bad :b but im probably still gonna buy R600 if it kicks 8800gtx's ass =P
December 7, 2006 9:31:39 AM

If on a Via chipset, and having issues (not all Via chipset users do) try:

Loading SmartGart (if it is still used, or other ATI app).

Set AGP to half of max (eg: AGP 2X on a AGP 4X board, or AGP 4X on an AGP 8X board).

Disable AGP Fastwrites.

Save, Apply, Reboot.

Hopefully that'll resolve the VPU Recovery / Freezing then CtD (Crash to Desktop).
December 7, 2006 9:43:38 AM

i will try that but my friend is in jail for the moment so i have 2 wait four months before trying it lol, i hope it works but i doubt it :b but worth a try atleast
December 7, 2006 9:56:31 AM

dude,
prime95 doesn't stress your gfx-card, what should your gfx card do when you search for extreme big prime numbers? the program stresses your CPU, ram and some parts of the motherboard, transferring the data from RAM to CPU.
if you want to stress your gfx card, use 3D mark.

RTFM before you try to be the wise-guy?
!