Sign in with
Your question

ATI Crossfire compatible MB with NVIDIA

Last response: in Motherboards
December 6, 2006 9:33:21 AM

Hya,

I'm trying to build my own PC using your tutorial on the site, i choose a Core2Duo E6600, and i'm having a bit of a trouble choosing a motherboard, i found this one, http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product..., looks quite nice, Vista ready, 6 USB2, firewire, the works... but i had chosen a NVidia GeForce 7950GT for my graphics, and this board has ATI Crossfire, my question is, should i take advantage of this technology and buy a ATI card in case i want to upgrade in the future (2 video cards), or will it still work with 2 NVidia's anyway?

My main doubt is that the NVidia is quite cheep and i think good enough for me, but all compatible ATI's are way to expensive!... So i would appreciate the knowledge of the experts here!... Should i go for value or go for "upgradability", what you make of ATI Crossfire since NVidia has had something similar for a long time?

Regards,
December 6, 2006 10:32:15 AM

Thanks for the quick reply...

So you're saying that if want to use dual cards i'll have to use High-End ATI's but a single NVIDIA will do the job for now...
December 6, 2006 10:52:08 AM

I built one yesterday and it runs fine, customer loved it to death.
Related resources
December 6, 2006 10:53:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply...

So you're saying that if want to use dual cards i'll have to use High-End ATI's but a single NVIDIA will do the job for now...

You don't have to use dual cards!!!!

Just get a single PCI-E motherboard and one high-end graphics card (7950GT or similar).
December 6, 2006 11:13:13 AM

Thanks, much appreciated your tips..
December 6, 2006 11:59:04 AM

The GA-965P-DQ6 is SLI certified for the 7950 GX2, and likely the 7900 GX2, (GX2 parts = SLI on one card).

As an Intel i965P chipset based mainboard it will support ATI Crossfire.

It *might* do SLI with 2 cards too, however the 2nd long PCIe is electronically only a PCIe x4, so it may not scale as desired.

Often the nForce 680 or Intel i975 (Core 2 Duo compatible revision) is recommended for these reasons.

www.nvidia.com - under chipsets / mainboards / etc
www.intel.com - under products, chipsets
April 14, 2009 10:08:14 AM

I built or should say had computer company build a system for me .I used a 260gtx and they put it in a M4A78-Tasus motherboard that uses crossfire technology and that was a big mistake.As far a i know GFORCE WITH SLI ,ATI WITH CROSSFIRE..ALSO WITH THE GPU YOU WANT TO USE SPEND SOME MONEY A BIT MORE GOES A LONG WAY IN GPU,S.Go from a 7900 to 9000 series and stay with the high second number say 9800 compared to 9300.Do some research g-gt-gtx they all mean something.Good luck and have fun,do not get disappointed this is a learning curve.
!