Quad-Core Xeon Clovertown Rolls Into DP Servers

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Xeon
  • Quad Core
  • Servers
Last response: in CPUs
December 6, 2006 11:09:56 AM

Intel's multi-core onslaught has reached the professional space. The Xeon 5300 Clovertown allows administrators to upgrade existing Socket 771 dual-processor machines from four to eight cores. We let the features and numbers speak for themselves.

More about : quad core xeon clovertown rolls servers

December 6, 2006 11:40:49 AM

Interesting review, although I swear that in some of the tests that the Woodcrest beat the Clovertown the app itself was fairly multithreaded already... meh...
December 6, 2006 11:45:54 AM

Most of these benchmarks don't do the Xeon 53xx series justice. These processors will probably be used for desktop rendering and the like, but I start drooling when I think of an 8 core 1U 2 socket box with SQL Server, IIS, or a dozen virtual application servers on it, or replacing an four racks of 4U 4 socket single core servers with three shelves of HDD's and one rack of 1U boxes, and ending up with more horsepower, less power consumption, easier management, and space for a ping pong table in the server room.
December 6, 2006 11:59:08 AM

Thats what I think also... don't know why they always have so many multimedia type app benchmarks... probably because they're easily on hand and easy to configure... shrug.
a c 105 à CPUs
December 6, 2006 12:07:14 PM

Hmm, decent review, but where are the Opterons?
December 6, 2006 12:08:57 PM

It looks like Blackford with dual FSB sux for Clovertown. I am happy to see that AMD will have at least one front where they will outperform Intel in the next 12-18 months.
December 6, 2006 12:31:32 PM

Another "brilliant" review from Tom's HW. :roll:
When will they finally start to benchmark server CPUs with server tests / workloads?
The only result i find interesting of the whole article, is the power consumption test, where the 8 core monster surprisingly surpasses the competitors...
December 6, 2006 12:46:21 PM

Great review, but can anyone please put an apples v apples review of a qx6700 top of the line machine (ie, workstation w/consumer parts) vs a top of the line x5355 dual cpu/quad core system? This review (and countless others i've read) aren't telling me anything useful about these CPUs performance in apps like Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Premiere Pro 2.0.....someone please put some benchmarks together for this!
December 6, 2006 1:11:17 PM

Ok, I admit it. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. I watch Maury and still get a kick when the big ugly dude IS the father. So I'm not afraid to ask stupid questions.

Registered RAM is more expensive than the garden variety. Fair enough. Now what other reason is there to not use a twin Clovertown as my own workstation?

Will it run Vista? Has to.

Will it run all the sw that runs on Vista? Should.

Will the sw that can take advantage of megacores run like a hamster trying to get away from Richard Gere? Damn straight.

So what are the reasons why this is being marketed exclusively as a server product? What am I missing here?
December 6, 2006 1:41:20 PM

Hi!

I would really like to see the values used in the Linpack configuration, specifically the value of N, P and Q.

Thanks!

Raul
December 6, 2006 2:27:27 PM

Is Linpack's floating point measurement still relevant to megacores? Just askin'...
December 6, 2006 2:45:20 PM

I agree...I would never run these tests for benchmarking software. The performance of the system with various loads under MySQL would be much more beneficial. I can't make a decision based on how fast it can code dvix.

They should take their time and do a server benchmark which might mean something to someone.
December 6, 2006 2:45:35 PM

I'll let you know how these things pan out here in the next couple of weeks. I have a couple of HP DL380 G5's that are coming in with two quads in each box, 8 and 16 gig of ram respectively and 8 146GB SAS drives in each box...One is indeed going to be used for VMware.

I'll be able to compare these side by side with a DL380 G5 with a pair of 5150's in it. Granted clock speeds are diff on the boxes (quads will be 1.83, the 5150's are 2.66). HP doesn's have the higher end quads available in their DL series yet....
December 6, 2006 2:48:54 PM

Thats cool, the point of having 4 core cpu's is to run as many concurrent threads as possible...max performance per core isn't as important especially considering the heat the top quad cores make and cost.
December 6, 2006 2:49:51 PM

Quote:
I'll let you know how these things pan out here in the next couple of weeks. I have a couple of HP DL380 G5's that are coming in with two quads in each box, 8 and 16 gig of ram respectively and 8 146GB SAS drives in each box...One is indeed going to be used for VMware.

Damn, BoDuke, you've got me salivating on my keyboard. What are you gonna do with them, use them to reprogram the Mopar chip in the General Lee? :wink:

Actually, I'd really like to see the results of those tests. Should be interesting!
December 6, 2006 4:33:09 PM

Quote:
Is Linpack's floating point measurement still relevant to megacores? Just askin'...

Well, for the super computing market it very relevant. There is a (relative) new benchmak suite called HPC Challenge, which include the (High Performance) Linpack. Some parts of this benchmarks will show very significant numbers, like update per seconds and bandwidth of the memory subsystem. I know this is a consumer oriented site, but some scientific benchmarks won't hurt sometime!

Nacho
December 6, 2006 4:42:08 PM

Quote:

Well, for the super computing market it very relevant. There is a (relative) new benchmak suite called HPC Challenge, which include the (High Performance) Linpack. Some parts of this benchmarks will show very significant numbers, like update per seconds and bandwidth of the memory subsystem. I know this is a consumer oriented site, but some scientific benchmarks won't hurt sometime!

Nice! Especially like the STREAM, PTRANS and FFT. Benchmarking a DFT should be a really good measurement of performance across chips or even platforms.
December 6, 2006 6:45:05 PM

This is what I really want for Christmas!

Quad-socket Tigerton in a Caneland server! 16 cores! No waiting!

Damn, I'm drooling... 8O
December 6, 2006 7:33:05 PM

Quote:

Damn, BoDuke, you've got me salivating on my keyboard. What are you gonna do with them, use them to reprogram the Mopar chip in the General Lee? :wink:

Actually, I'd really like to see the results of those tests. Should be interesting!

I honestly don't know how much time I'll get to play with these boxes past building them out - they're supposed to go into production as soon as I get them built out. I really want to be able to put some screenies up and some numbers.

As a note I've deployed two 5160 based boxes (2 procs, 4 cores total) with 8GB and 16GB respectively and they're hands down the fastest servers I've ever deployed.

And yes I am aware statements are worthless without numbers/screenies however given that I barely have time to build out a server before it's in production, you'll have to take my word for it.
December 7, 2006 4:23:14 AM

BoDuke, anything at all that you can say about those systems would be well appreciated. Thanks!
December 7, 2006 7:33:31 AM

It might just be some crazy browser bug but, from the last page of the review.. what's with the cliffhanger?

Quote:
AMD is working on its own quad-core offering, which is expected to hit the market in spring next year. With dedicated L2 caches per core and a unified L3 cache, it might easily

Is this what they call episodic content?
December 7, 2006 7:38:55 AM

Quote:
It might just be some crazy browser bug but, from the last page of the review.. what's with the cliffhanger?

AMD is working on its own quad-core offering, which is expected to hit the market in spring next year. With dedicated L2 caches per core and a unified L3 cache, it might easily

Is this what they call episodic content?Yeah, they're letting you fill in the blanks. :wink: lol
December 8, 2006 8:19:16 AM

Quite obvious is the memory bottleneck as some applications are optimized (to minimize the quantity of arithmetic operations per iteration or to process multiple data at once using SIMD instructions) - so you might end up with an overkill arithmetic power which just spends most of its time waiting for the data (to perform operations on) to arrive from the memory. When more processors struggle for data from the same memory interface, the situation gets even worse (from the perspective of a processor, it "gets" only a fraction of the total memory bandwidth).
Applications have to be optimized not only to spawn multiple threads of execution but also to maximize memory reuse (cache hits) - which is no simple business whatsoever. Otherwise, they'll not be able to take advantage of the available processing power because of an insufficient memory bandwidth.

(i was referring to computationally intensive applications such as multimedia encoders, recognition software etc...)
December 9, 2006 12:33:06 PM

Quote:

Is this what they call episodic content?Yeah, they're letting you fill in the blanks. :wink: lol

I think it should have read:

"...it might easily be the last CPU AMD releases before it's bought out by Intel." :twisted:
December 29, 2006 2:48:20 PM

System Admins ... do NOT fool yourselves in believing that your existing HP Woodcrest boxes will go to 53xx quads. ( see this: http://www.2cpu.com/story.php?id=4311#comments ).
Quote:
...The Xeon 5300s will only work in HP machines that, according to HP, started shipping last week. Yes. That means that any Woodcrest-based HP server made in the last 5 months will not be compatible with Clovertown!

So, buying your cake and eating it will leave your old "new" G5's a heap-o-duals.
!