Ultra PSU's any good?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Well, 600W will be fine for your system, but I don't like Ultra products at all. They're not the worst, but they're definitly not the best either. The specs look fine, but as for stability and ripple... meh

dermotti

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Hmm, yea i jsut bought a bunch of compenents for my new computer on new egg, and i never thought about if i needed a new PSU.

Currently i have a Thermaltake 480w from 2003, but it only has one 18a rail.

I need a good cheap solution since i used most my money on the other components...

Ide liek to spend no more than $80...

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Sigh, I hate finding parts... but I can tell you the good companies out there:

FSP, OCZ (Parts made by FSP), Seasonic, Corsair (Parts made by Seasonic... see a trend here?), Silverstone, Enermax, Zippy, Targan, TT, Antec, PC P&C, and... I think thats it... Antec's lower lines have some issues, so you might beware of cheap Antec PSU's, same with TT, but everything else will take you places.

I've also heard some decent things about Hiper PSU's. Don't consider them best of the best, but they will do in a pinch.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Seems fair, I have a couple points of contention, but nearly everything looks accurate. They split them into different groups which is important, since some use much better components than their cheaper counterparts.

Go with the list and you can't go wrong.

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Im looking at picking this up for my new system

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=59&pPath=369&productID=518

im running 2 x 36g raptors
e6300 conroe
x1950pro

good enough?

The Ultra V series 500W has been free after rebate for a while at frys.com. I've had one for a month... I am running :

two DVD RW drives,
two PATA Seagate drives
floppy,
two USB drives
e6300 Conroe
7900GS

So it is substantially similar to your system and seems to be fine. I don't plan on significant upgrades for a very long time (no graphics card over $130 in my future... the 7900gs at $130 is the most expensive card I've ever purchased).

So, I would say the 600W Ultra is good enough, but you might consider the 500W FAR Ultra and see if it works. If it doesn't, you haven't lost anything (assuming the rebate comes!).

cdonato

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I've heard from a couple of different places that the Ultra X series burns out & flames on occassion. Haven't heard about this model though. Take a look at Antec, Hiper, etc. they are pretty stable & reliable. Also modular cabling is def worth the extra cost

TRENDING THREADS