Sign in with
Your question

P4 Overclocking- I've read the sticky!

Last response: in Overclocking
December 6, 2006 12:44:56 PM

OK, I want some help OCing my P4. I've read the P4 OC guide thats sticky, and its helped a bit, but I need some more advice.

My P4 is on a gigabyte mobo with 478 pin. Its stock is running at 2.4 and its on the 90nm process. ( no HT-- 533 FSB)My ram is 512 Kingston single channel DDR. Frequency at 173 and the FSB: DRAM is a 4:5.

Anyways, I've tried OCing with limited succes. I can hit around 2.6 ghz. At 2.7 Windows wont load. However, the sticky says I can hit 3.6 if I'm lucky. I know I probably cant get 3.6, but 2.6? Its a very small increase...

Any advice at how to get it up a bit more?

By the way, the P4 is using stock cooling. PSU is 550 watt. My case has 1 side fan, I'm not sure on the diameter...
December 6, 2006 7:31:32 PM

check your cooling. Ensure that the CPU is running cool, also (if possible) cool down the chipset (with fans over the chipset heatsinks) and also cool the case (ensure that the fans are working well)

use a temperature display program like motherboard monitor which will display temps. the cooler the temp shown the better.

also, set memory to most conservative slow settings and also ensure pci bus is properly divided...

hope this was helpful!
December 7, 2006 7:16:05 AM

Quote:
OK, I want some help OCing my P4. I've read the P4 OC guide thats sticky, and its helped a bit, but I need some more advice.

My P4 is on a gigabyte mobo with 478 pin. Its stock is running at 2.4 and its on the 90nm process. ( no HT-- 533 FSB)My ram is 512 Kingston single channel DDR. Frequency at 173 and the FSB: DRAM is a 4:5.

Anyways, I've tried OCing with limited succes. I can hit around 2.6 ghz. At 2.7 Windows wont load. However, the sticky says I can hit 3.6 if I'm lucky. I know I probably cant get 3.6, but 2.6? Its a very small increase...

Any advice at how to get it up a bit more?

By the way, the P4 is using stock cooling. PSU is 550 watt. My case has 1 side fan, I'm not sure on the diameter...
Hopefully your motherboard is a decent enthusiast board(O/C friendly). I have that cpu, on an ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe(TR XP-120). I've had it to 3960, 3906 stable. I now run it at 3726. With the stock HS/F, the best i could get was ~ 3.4GHz. You will definetely have to raise the vCore to get anywhere. I run mine at 1.5625v. Even with the stock HS/F, you should be able to get close to 3 GHz without any problems. Try raising the vCore to 1.45-1.50v, Increase the vAGP to ~1.70v(this is said to increase chipset voltage). Make sure to set AGP/PCI from auto to 66.6/33.3. Disable "Spread Spectrum". Chipset heat, and RAM(if PC3200) problems are unlikely, as you'll likely be @200FSB or under. Set your RAM back to 1:1...@4:5 and 173FSB, your RAM is @ ~216MHz(high if you're using value-ram). GL :) 
Related resources
December 8, 2006 2:51:28 PM

well, my mobo is budget, as well as my RAM. All my changes have been through the BIOS, not a tool like ones that come with premium mobos.

Also, I found out that my case DOESNT have a fan. Very scary. I pushed it to 2.7 or 2.8(cant remember). During startup, the fan was VERY loud. Its never been that loud before, even at load. I also smelled some slight burning. Nothing major, but I could tell it was definentaly pushing it.

Do you think I should try to push any farther?

I dont know if this helps any, but I have a nvidia GF FX 5200.(no fan) so the only airflow in there is from the CPU...

By the way, please dont suggest getting a Zalman or some other cooler. They arent as readily avaible here you see...
December 8, 2006 3:36:10 PM

If the point of the overclocking is better performance, why not consider a memory upgrade? 512 MB is pretty lacking if you're trying to play modern games. And as far as using the software tools for overclocking... anyone here will tell you that's inferior to going into the BIOS and doing it manually. I have an ASUS A8N SLI and when I used the overclocking tool I was only able to get 5% OC (I believe that's right... it's been a while) After reading up online I was able to go into the BIOS on my own... doing that I got nearly a 20% OC. After that experience with the ASUS tool, I knew all I needed to know about using software to overclock.
December 8, 2006 8:59:29 PM

Quote:
well, my mobo is budget, as well as my RAM. All my changes have been through the BIOS, not a tool like ones that come with premium mobos.

Also, I found out that my case DOESNT have a fan. Very scary. I pushed it to 2.7 or 2.8(cant remember). During startup, the fan was VERY loud. Its never been that loud before, even at load. I also smelled some slight burning. Nothing major, but I could tell it was definentaly pushing it.

Do you think I should try to push any farther?

I dont know if this helps any, but I have a nvidia GF FX 5200.(no fan) so the only airflow in there is from the CPU...

By the way, please dont suggest getting a Zalman or some other cooler. They arent as readily avaible here you see...
You definetely want a decent fan in the bottom-front for intake, and one or 2 in the upper-rear for exhaust. Having a good HS/F on your CPU won't help much, if the temps in your case are too high. Prescott processors throw off massive heat, and also cause the MOSFETS and other motherboard components to release great amounts of heat. You need some case airflow to get rid of that heat, and the heat from your video card/ HD, etc. GL :) 
December 9, 2006 8:55:28 AM

theres the whole problem. I'm buying a new PC in 6 months, and the upgrade money I've been saving up will go to a new GPU( the 5200 is horrid).
!