Poor scores on XFX 8800 GTS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2006 1:02:37 PM

I'm getting really low scores (3700) using 3dmark05 with my system which is:

ASUS A8N-VM
2GB RAM (400MHz DDR)
AMD64 x2 4400+ Dual Core CPU
XFX 8800 GTS

Now I don't get any locking problems, I get no reboots or anything like that. I do however have a problem with 3dmark06, when running the tests my PC Blue Screens and I end up rebooting. Now I had this problem before I upgraded with a Geforce 6600GT and a AMD64 3200 CPU, so it's not related to the card or CPU.

I think my problem might lie in the case/PSU.....

See I have one of the Artic Cooling Silentium T1 cases with it's unique PSU.

That's the PSU it's 350W constant and 450W max, I think the problem might lie in the fact it only pushes 17Amp down the 12V rail?

You can see the full spec of the case/psu Here

So would an underpowered PSU cause poor benchmark results?

I don't have too many problems with games but if I crank up Anno 1701 to max everything it's slightly jerky and not smooth.

Please advise, after spending £340 on a video card I don't want to spend another £100 odd on a new case and PSU and find it's no different.
December 6, 2006 3:21:39 PM

It could very well be the power supply as recommended is at least 400w. What operating system are you using? What driver version as well? Did you uninstall the previous video card driver before installing this one? I recommend that you start a support ticket a www.xfxforce.com for further help as well.

XFX Support
December 6, 2006 3:54:16 PM

XP SP2 Fully patched and I've tried the last 2 drivers from Nvidia, currently using 97.02.

I'll try the uninstall/reinstall but I always uninstall drivers before installing new ones.

I didn't want to start a support ticket until I know that the rest of my system was upto scratch.

Maybe it's 3dmark that doesn't like my system, so I tried n-bench3.1 but I have nothing to compare the results to. Maybe someone else can run it and post the results:

Integer 1 (Lanscape) 2801
Integer 2 (Mandelbrot) 2172
Float 1 (Flock) 2310
Float 2 (Rigid Body) 2335
CPU Overall (2404

Ninja 1 3447
Ninja 2 3101
Grand Touring 3711
Star Fighter 3017
3D Overall 3319

Overall Score 2861
Related resources
December 6, 2006 7:15:06 PM

i saw the pic of your power supply and i busted out laughing...im sorry, im really not trying to be a dick, but that might be what's wrong. try this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

not enough power results in the components cutting back frequencies. and by the way, i would recommend a thermaltake power express 250 just as an add on, but for some reason, the 8800gts doesnt like it. powers the gtx just fine tho.
December 6, 2006 7:52:05 PM

Not only is that only a 350W PSU, but its one of the older PSUs with a strong 5v Rail (30A???) and a weak 12v Rail.

17A is NOWHERE NEAR enough for your system.

The CPU is rated at 89W without being overclocked. The 8800GTS is around 150W, those two alone without hard drives, RAM, motherboard etc etc total more than the 204W your PSU can supply on the 12v Rail.
December 6, 2006 8:37:57 PM

That should be more than sufficient for your system, OCZ make good PSUs.

Being as I'm also in the UK, my only suggestion would be that OCuK can be a little expensive, I'd suggest checking dabs.com (always excellent pricing and service) and maybe ebuyer.co.uk

People are often very quick to point to the PSU in these situations, but here I really think it is warranted!

Does that mean you are forced to buy a new case too or is the current one adaptable?
December 6, 2006 8:44:09 PM

I might be able to "adapt" the case, if not I've another case which I can put it into - I'd like to keep this case though as the other is beige and all my drives are black - look a tad stupid.

ATM I'd run it on the floor outside of the case just to get some performance back in it :D 

Thanks for the help guys
December 6, 2006 9:43:48 PM

Hi there

This is NOT just a psu a problem though you definitely need to replace that. There is a serious bug in the 97.02 drivers that b0rk 3d mode after reboot of the system (I had the same probs) You will need to install the 97.28 drivers available here
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1524

These are genuine Nvidia drivers and believe me they will solve the slow frame rate problem :) 
December 7, 2006 5:55:47 AM

o.0 My 8800GTX doesnt have any problems like that.
December 7, 2006 7:29:43 AM

Well using th 97.02 drivers i get a 3dmark score of 6k in SLi mode :/  there are lots of other experiencing this problem and some that do not. It's a strange one really that seems to present itself randomly, that being said even with 97.28 drivers I don't reckon that the SLi mode is working correctly still but they are a serious improvement from the old drivers.
December 7, 2006 6:22:23 PM

Quote:
Not only is that only a 350W PSU, but its one of the older PSUs with a strong 5v Rail (30A???) and a weak 12v Rail.

17A is NOWHERE NEAR enough for your system.

The CPU is rated at 89W without being overclocked. The 8800GTS is around 150W, those two alone without hard drives, RAM, motherboard etc etc total more than the 204W your PSU can supply on the 12v Rail.

see...darkstar gets it. as one of my friends put it, "the power supply is the most overlooked part of damn near any high end system today"

speaking of which, quick side note...does anyone here think that the 8800gtx will fit in an NZXT Zero case? better yet, how long is teh pcb itself?
December 8, 2006 11:38:31 AM

Well the OCZ arrived this morning and thus began a 2 hour (yeh 2 hour) operation to replace the power Supply....

With hind sight I should have bought a new case instead of trying to "doctor" the Silentium T1.

Removed old PSU, which removed the bay one of the SATA drives was in, no problem I thought that can sit further up in the drive bay.

Removed 2 top fans where PSU was to be seated...... oh crap can't get new PSU in cos heat sink and fan on top of cpu is in the way....

Removed HS&F.

Put PSU in position and yep u guessed it ... unique case ... unique holes, non of them matched up.... So began a drill of new holes into the case, making sure no metal bits ended up on the mobo.

So finally fitted the PSU...

Came to put my HS&F back on and oh bugged it wont fit now, the locking down handle hits the PSU and I couldn't get it on.

OK well I found the "stock HS&F" and much to my distaste I fitted it back on. That fitted....

Hooked all drives back up and 8800, crossed my fingers and bam.... up and running.

First things first checked CPU temp was a lowly 30C which having just powered it up was to be expected. Checking now after running numerous tests it's sat at 40C which was about the same as the previous HS&F (but stock is a noisey little bustard)....

Loaded 3dmark05 ran through and I could immediately see a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference, gone were the 10-20 FPS and up were the 70-120FPS and the picture.... wow...

First run through without AA and at 1024x768 resolution brought about a nice 11804 benchmark.

Thank you all I'm off now to play :lol: 
December 8, 2006 2:22:00 PM

Glad to see you were able to resolve your issue. Have fun!!

XFX Support
December 9, 2006 6:18:46 AM

a good power supply makes all the difference
December 24, 2006 12:22:17 PM

hi all i have just built a new sytem and here are my specs

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600
MSI 975X Platinum PowerUP Edition
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-5400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)
XFX geforce 8800 gts
Western Digital 250gb hard drive sata 2
Pioneer DVR-111D 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter

and i got this case with a power supply in it i dont no if it will handle my system i was wondring could you help me out here are the specs for the case and power supply

http://www.pixmania-pro.co.uk/uk/uk/antec/tx-1088amg-pc...
December 24, 2006 11:55:25 PM

nice system. the case looks pretty damn cool too. as for the power supply that comes with it, it's an antec truepower 2.0. decent power supply but i'm not sure if it can handle your computer efficiently. take a look at the antec true power trio. that will more than power your system and still give you room for overclocking.
December 24, 2006 11:56:54 PM

and if i may ask, what are you planning to do with your old processor/mobo/ram?
December 25, 2006 9:03:04 AM

are you asking that to me?
December 25, 2006 10:53:56 AM

yes he is asking how much you'll sell them for.
December 25, 2006 1:27:07 PM

o right why would you want to buy them when he has a better system thena me???
December 25, 2006 2:43:01 PM

A cheap psu almost cost my gf her life and costed me a whole PC. As she turned on the computer, a spark shot out of the power supply in the back! I mean this made a bang and was visible. Now I will only buy premium quality psu's. It's just not worth the hundreds of dollars you'll damage. Now when I see high wattage psu for under 20$, I cringe. Check newegg and all the csat ratings. Nuff said...
December 25, 2006 3:45:33 PM

actually dude, i do wanna buy it cuz i wanna build a second gaming rig.
December 25, 2006 3:51:37 PM

something similar happend to me. i was modding an old 250watt ps and i accidently crossed 2 cables. i got the comp together, turned it on, went to get something to drink, and i heard a big bang. the power supply practcally blew up. left a huge hole in the top of the case. eagles453809 should remember that...it was about the time i got my 933mhz duron.

to clarify, the whole crossing 2 wires thing is what i THINK happend. to this day i'm still not sure how the power supply blew up. and also, the whole computer went down the sh1tter, not just the power supply. (safe to say my dad was PISSED)
December 25, 2006 4:49:05 PM

o rite well actuly lookin at specs mine is a bit better.jst need a sound card.how much would you buy for?its all brand new havent evan put it together yet?
December 25, 2006 4:54:25 PM

trust me...your computer is a lot better than mine. as for how much i'd buy it for, it depends on how much money i get for xmas since i'm currently unemployed and all. :p 
December 25, 2006 5:33:14 PM

Naw-yi, he said he changed out the psu and it's all good now. Looking at his PSU, I would have been very reluctant to use that psu on my system for an 8800gts just for testing. It's a lot easier to swap out psu's anyway.
December 26, 2006 5:59:20 PM

o ok let me no how much your willing to offer and ill let u no?
December 27, 2006 3:15:18 AM

well, i guess just for sh1ts and giggles, whats the lowest that you'd let the cpu and memory go for...so i know how much to try to get.
December 27, 2006 10:07:49 AM

im not looking to sell the cput and memory realy all of it.
!