web cam as CCTV?

Recently my car has been vandalised when parked on the street outside my
house. I know who did it, but have no proof - same old story. What I need is
a web cam that can see in low light up to 20m and is motion sensitive, so
that if the car is approached recording can begin. Ideally, the web cam
should be able to transmit the images wirelessly to my PC (at the other side
of the house) although a cable would be a possibility if needs be. I've been
searching the web for a solution but either nothing seems to fit the bill or
teh product information on possible webcams is too scanty to make a
judgement. Any advice gratefully received.

pb

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:46:28 +0000 (UTC), "Papa-Bear"
<info@dot.com> wrote:

>Recently my car has been vandalised when parked on the street outside my
>house. I know who did it, but have no proof - same old story. What I need is
>a web cam that can see in low light up to 20m and is motion sensitive, so
>that if the car is approached recording can begin. Ideally, the web cam
>should be able to transmit the images wirelessly to my PC (at the other side
>of the house) although a cable would be a possibility if needs be. I've been
>searching the web for a solution but either nothing seems to fit the bill or
>teh product information on possible webcams is too scanty to make a
>judgement. Any advice gratefully received.

You are talking more about security cams than webcams. You may
want to check the sites below to see what is available.

http://www.supercircuits.com/
http://www.matco.com/
http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html
http://www.polarisusa.com/
http://www.gtsecurity.com/
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91202
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47546

You might investigate....
Dlink has a 1-Lux indoor ccd wifi network mpg camera. You'd need to maybe
make it weatherproof ? and change the lens to stronger, probably would want
about 5-50mm manual varifocal lens. If your car has 2-Lux worth of
light - it should in general match what you've asked for.

"Papa-Bear" <info@dot.com> wrote in message
> Recently my car has been vandalised when parked on the street outside my
> house. I know who did it, but have no proof - same old story. What I need
is
> a web cam that can see in low light up to 20m and is motion sensitive, so
> that if the car is approached recording can begin. Ideally, the web cam
> should be able to transmit the images wirelessly to my PC (at the other
side
> of the house) although a cable would be a possibility if needs be. I've
been
> searching the web for a solution but either nothing seems to fit the bill
or
> teh product information on possible webcams is too scanty to make a
> judgement. Any advice gratefully received.
>
> pb

>> "Papa-Bear" <info@dot.com> wrote in message
>> Recently my car has been vandalised when parked on the street
>> outside my house. I know who did it, but have no proof - same old
>> story. What I need is a web cam that can see in low light up to 20m
>> and is motion sensitive, so that if the car is approached recording
>> can begin. Ideally, the web cam should be able to transmit the
>> images wirelessly to my PC (at the other side of the house) although
>> a cable would be a possibility if needs be. I've been searching the
>> web for a solution but either nothing seems to fit the bill or teh
>> product information on possible webcams is too scanty to make a
>> judgement. Any advice gratefully received.
>>
>> pb

ummmm.. you could get a dvr card which can take up to four cameras.... and
hook up a night vision camera...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60839&item=5722465514&rd=1

for more search on ebay for wireless night vision camera

also

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3204&item=5522493230&rd=1

also search for dvr card

you can mount a camera inside the car filming the outside with night vision
so you can see what they are doing ths litte shits...

also these cameras have a good range (wireless) around 50-100 metres...

the dvr software (called pico 2000) is supplied and comes with full
recording on motion or not...and you cna view all four cameras at the same
time on screen...

of course i use two of these card and have about 8 cameras all around....

i dont use noghtvision cameras on this set up but have a look anyway
http://quavis.zippypage.com/easywebcam.html

regards slayer

ThE SlAyEr wrote:
>>> "Papa-Bear" <info@dot.com> wrote in message
>>> Recently my car has been vandalised when parked on the street
>>> outside my house. I know who did it, but have no proof - same old
>>> story. What I need is a web cam that can see in low light up to 20m
>>> and is motion sensitive, so that if the car is approached recording
>>> can begin. Ideally, the web cam should be able to transmit the
>>> images wirelessly to my PC (at the other side of the house) although
>>> a cable would be a possibility if needs be. I've been searching the
>>> web for a solution but either nothing seems to fit the bill or teh
>>> product information on possible webcams is too scanty to make a
>>> judgement. Any advice gratefully received.
>>>
>>> pb
>
> ummmm.. you could get a dvr card which can take up to four
> cameras.... and hook up a night vision camera...
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60839&item=5722465514&rd=1
>
> for more search on ebay for wireless night vision camera
>
> also
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3204&item=5522493230&rd=1
>
> also search for dvr card
>
> you can mount a camera inside the car filming the outside with night
> vision so you can see what they are doing ths litte shits...
>
> also these cameras have a good range (wireless) around 50-100
> metres...
> the dvr software (called pico 2000) is supplied and comes with full
> recording on motion or not...and you cna view all four cameras at the
> same time on screen...
>
> of course i use two of these card and have about 8 cameras all
> around....
> i dont use noghtvision cameras on this set up but have a look anyway
> http://quavis.zippypage.com/easywebcam.html
>
> regards slayer

ps forgot to say.... its also a very cheap set up if you hunt down the
bargains on ebay.....have any trouble , let me know i can source the
products on ebay for minimum cost..

ie : 25 uk pounds for a dvr card..

and 30 ish pounds for a nightvision camera

regards slayer

thanks to all who replied - all good information and much appreciated

pb