Need to determine if PSU needs an update right away

shambling

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
The details are as follows:

PSU Enlight HPC-300-101
Across the 12v its showing 13a at 156W

I'm running a pentium 4 2.6ghz with 1 gig of pc133 memory.
Think its an Intel D845WN motherboard.

The vid card is a AGP Radeon x1600 PRO

--------------------------------------------------
After about 6 months of running smoothly, a quick on/off of my power from a power line getting struck sent my video card into a fit of blacking out every 2 hours or so. After playing Dark messiah for 6 hours, and rebooting 4 times(yeah I should have gotten the message), it started blacking out the next day every 5 minutes or less (sometimes not even loading a screen at BIOS)

So long story short, I got a replacement x1600 AGP card, and am just worried that it might not have been the power surge, but rather the PSU. Before I get the replacement card back, should I replace the PSU? I'd really hate to have to spend the extra cash right now, as I'm strapped, but don't want to fry another video card if it wasn't the power surge, but the crappy PSU.

What would you suggest as a bare minimum amperage across the 12v for such a puny video card? (it just uses a simple floppy power connector for the card)

I want to upgrade the whole computer after christmas, and maybe give this one to my brother. But even then, should I still upgrade the PSU before then?

G

you should find a program to monitor the voltage of the PSU. Even in five minutes you could see if they spike all over the place.

Enlight is a lower than average compagny for PSU. If you do plan on upgrading, changing the PSU right away would be wise.

Otherwise you can get a Fortron 300-400W for a pretty decent price. I would suggest changing the PSU no matter what, but testing it first is always recommended because if it's not broken, why fix it?

shambling

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Well, by upgrade, I mean completely new computer with only the keyboard/mouse/monitor being the same. heh For powersupply in the future, I was looking at the Fortron 550.

I just don't want to spent 800 on parts for my computer, plus 120 on parts for the one I'm getting rid of. :O

Thanks for the suggestion on the fortron 300-400w though. I'll go look at prices now.

Gave this one Fortron Source FSP400-60THN-R ATX 400W a look. Not a bad price for the unit.

G

Well here's what I suggest, list all the parts you should be upgrading too. We will give you good suggestion for you price range.

If you plan to get a new computer in the next 3months, you should buy a PSU that will be enough for the next build!

shambling

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
The new computer will have a power supply of its own. Most likely a fortron 550W. Going to be a duo core 6300 or 6400. Depending on how prices are. Looking at a mobo that'll overclock that to a decent speed. Probably stop at 3ghz and not push it past that. Stick with a good MOBO that lets me OC it to a good point with just the stock fan (otherwise I might as well buy a higher grade CPU)

New vid card would be a 7900gs or gt. Depending again on price, and suitability for the mobo/cpu combo.

HD will just be a simple sata 160gig 7200rpm that I have in my current build. Brother can put up with my old clunky 40gig and ancient 10gig from yee old computer. lol

G

Ok sorry for not picking up on that.

If your computer was fine with a 300W I suggest the same wattage but from a better comapgny.

PSU ranking

shambling

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
NP. Thanks for the reply :)

Think I'll go ahead and get that 400w PSU from fortron for this system. I won't use it for the new system I build, but at least I'll know that my old system/vid card will be a stable gift for my brother.

TRENDING THREADS