Wireless WebCam for Observing home, inside... nanny, so fo..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
September 26, 2004 10:39:15 PM

HI All,
Trying to use my current Wireless home network and free comcast web site
to monitor my home.
Need to decide on decent frame rate "webcam" (or other by different
name?), and any 'software' applications that would be used to upload
to the web site.
Read MANY threads here and seeing some great info.
Don't know that I need streaming, perhaps just pics...
Looking at AXIS products, any thoughts or experiences with those?
Many thanks.
--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto: pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net
September 27, 2004 12:08:23 PM

"Doc" <pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net> wrote:

> HI All,
> Trying to use my current Wireless home network and free comcast web site
> to monitor my home.
> Need to decide on decent frame rate "webcam" (or other by different
> name?), and any 'software' applications that would be used to upload
> to the web site.
> Read MANY threads here and seeing some great info.
> Don't know that I need streaming, perhaps just pics...
> Looking at AXIS products, any thoughts or experiences with those?
> Many thanks.

Hey Doc,

I don't have any experience with AXIS products, but I recently purchased a
Creative NX-Ultra that came with the software you'd need for doing what you
want to do. I'm not shilling for Creative. Probably pretty much any newer
webcam will come with similar software.

You don't mention what Operating system you'll be using, so I'll base the
rest of my reply *assuming* Windows XP. If you're not running XP? You can
stop reading now. :-)

Should you happen to purchase a cam that does not come with the software you
need? There's a free way around it. For instance;

There's a free Powertoy
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
called "Timershot" that will do what you want.

If you decide you'd like to stream the video (and audio too, if you so
desire) instead? You can download "Windows Media Encoder" which is also
free.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/e...
and broadcasts live video beautifully .

Keep this in mind though;

You say you want to use this set-up to monitor your home. This infers you
will be doing it from someplace other than another room in your home. Your
job, perhaps? If that's the case, you may want to make sure wherever you'll
be monitoring *from* will allow you to access "live content" on the web.
*Many* employers have their networks set up to *not* allow that sort of
thing, for obvious reasons. :-)

And you're right. Lot's of knowledgable folks here. It's where I learned
about Windows Media Encoder, and how to set it up.

Good luck,

Thom
September 27, 2004 12:08:24 PM

Thom typed this:
> "Doc" <pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net> wrote:
>>HI All,
>>Trying to use my current Wireless home network and free comcast web site
>>to monitor my home.
>>Need to decide on decent frame rate "webcam" (or other by different
>>name?), and any 'software' applications that would be used to upload
>>to the web site.
>>Read MANY threads here and seeing some great info.
>>Don't know that I need streaming, perhaps just pics...
>>Looking at AXIS products, any thoughts or experiences with those?
>>Many thanks.
>
> Hey Doc,
> I don't have any experience with AXIS products, but I recently purchased a
> Creative NX-Ultra that came with the software you'd need for doing what you
> want to do. I'm not shilling for Creative. Probably pretty much any newer
> webcam will come with similar software.
>
> You don't mention what Operating system you'll be using, so I'll base the
> rest of my reply *assuming* Windows XP. If you're not running XP? You can
> stop reading now. :-)
>
> Should you happen to purchase a cam that does not come with the software you
> need? There's a free way around it. For instance;
>
> There's a free Powertoy
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
> called "Timershot" that will do what you want.
>
> If you decide you'd like to stream the video (and audio too, if you so
> desire) instead? You can download "Windows Media Encoder" which is also
> free.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/e...
> and broadcasts live video beautifully .
>
> Keep this in mind though;
> You say you want to use this set-up to monitor your home. This infers you
> will be doing it from someplace other than another room in your home. Your
> job, perhaps? If that's the case, you may want to make sure wherever you'll
> be monitoring *from* will allow you to access "live content" on the web.
> *Many* employers have their networks set up to *not* allow that sort of
> thing, for obvious reasons. :-)
>
> And you're right. Lot's of knowledgable folks here. It's where I learned
> about Windows Media Encoder, and how to set it up.
> Good luck,
> Thom

HI Thom,
Many thanks. I "am" hearing about Media Encoder... will look into it.
Did read somewhere here that it takes up a lot of the CPU process? Which
really isn't a problem on the sending PC... as it will be unused basically.
XP Pro, SP2 is the OS... right.

Saw a couple of nice D-Links last night. Less expensive than AXIS, will
buy just ONE cam to begin with and see how it works...

No sweat on the office, have that worked out... access to the Cisco.
Appreciate the help. Any other thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto: pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net
Related resources
September 27, 2004 12:52:49 PM

Doc <pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net> wrote:

> Thom typed this:
[..]
>> Hey Doc,
>> I don't have any experience with AXIS products, but I recently
>> purchased a Creative NX-Ultra that came with the software you'd need
>> for doing what you want to do. I'm not shilling for Creative. Probably
>> pretty much any newer webcam will come with similar
>> software.
>> You don't mention what Operating system you'll be using, so I'll
>> base the rest of my reply *assuming* Windows XP. If you're not
>> running XP? You can stop reading now. :-)
>>
>> Should you happen to purchase a cam that does not come with the
>> software you need? There's a free way around it. For instance;
>>
>> There's a free Powertoy
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
>> called "Timershot" that will do what you want.
>>
>> If you decide you'd like to stream the video (and audio too, if you
>> so desire) instead? You can download "Windows Media Encoder" which
>> is also free.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/e...
>> and broadcasts live video beautifully .
>>
>> Keep this in mind though;
>> You say you want to use this set-up to monitor your home. This
>> infers you will be doing it from someplace other than another room
>> in your home. Your job, perhaps? If that's the case, you may want
>> to make sure wherever you'll be monitoring *from* will allow you to
>> access "live content" on the web. *Many* employers have their
>> networks set up to *not* allow that sort of thing, for obvious
>> reasons. :-)
>> And you're right. Lot's of knowledgable folks here. It's where I
>> learned about Windows Media Encoder, and how to set it up.
>> Good luck,
>> Thom
>
> HI Thom,
> Many thanks. I "am" hearing about Media Encoder... will look into it.
> Did read somewhere here that it takes up a lot of the CPU process?

Anywhere from 8-11% of my P4. I don't even notice it.

> Which really isn't a problem on the sending PC... as it will be
> unused basically. XP Pro, SP2 is the OS... right.

Yes. XP-Pro (SP2) would be your OS.

> Saw a couple of nice D-Links last night. Less expensive than AXIS,
> will buy just ONE cam to begin with and see how it works...
>
> No sweat on the office, have that worked out... access to the Cisco.
> Appreciate the help. Any other thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Nothing I can think of at the moment. I have my cam on as we speak. The
setup is using an old Intel Cam with Windows Media Encoder set to
"VHS-quality output". Check it out if you like;

www.crampy.com/webcam.htm

Thom
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 27, 2004 8:29:46 PM

>Saw a couple of nice D-Links last night. Less expensive than AXIS, will
>buy just ONE cam to begin with and see how it works...

The Dlink DCS 900 cameras seems Ok (and are cheaper than AXIS), note
there are some on www.ebay.com ! ;-)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 28, 2004 12:20:08 AM

> Nothing I can think of at the moment. I have my cam on as we speak. The
> setup is using an old Intel Cam with Windows Media Encoder set to
> "VHS-quality output". Check it out if you like;
>
> www.crampy.com/webcam.htm

Thom, your goldfish / fish tank looks nice, but why are you streaming at 327
Kbps?
You could easily take it back to 90 Kbps or even less, and you will not see
much difference in the quality.

This way more people could look at the same time :-)

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Noël® <n03l@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com> wrote:

>> Nothing I can think of at the moment. I have my cam on as we speak.
>> The setup is using an old Intel Cam with Windows Media Encoder set to
>> "VHS-quality output". Check it out if you like;
>>
>> www.crampy.com/webcam.htm
>>

> Thom, your goldfish / fish tank looks nice, but why are you streaming
> at 327 Kbps?

Because I don't know how to change the setting. :-)

> You could easily take it back to 90 Kbps or even less, and you will
> not see much difference in the quality.

How?

> This way more people could look at the same time :-)

That would be good, as I've gotten a few complaints from folks using dial-up
connections saying it was taking, "forever to download".

Thanks, Noel.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 28, 2004 3:46:19 AM

"Thom" <Thom@no.invalid> wrote in message
news:p Oydnb34n7w8w8XcRVn-og@comcast.com...
> Noël® <n03l@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com> wrote:
>
>>> Nothing I can think of at the moment. I have my cam on as we speak.
>>> The setup is using an old Intel Cam with Windows Media Encoder set to
>>> "VHS-quality output". Check it out if you like;
>>>
>>> www.crampy.com/webcam.htm
>>>

>> Thom, your goldfish / fish tank looks nice, but why are you streaming
>> at 327 Kbps?
>
> Because I don't know how to change the setting. :-)
>
>> You could easily take it back to 90 Kbps or even less, and you will
>> not see much difference in the quality.
>
> How?
>
>> This way more people could look at the same time :-)
>
> That would be good, as I've gotten a few complaints from folks using
> dial-up connections saying it was taking, "forever to download".
>
> Thanks, Noel.

Thom here some info on how to set your own profile.

Start WME
New Session > Broadcast a live event > OK
Select camera > next
Select Pull from the encoder > next
Select port you use to stream on > next
Select Multi bit rates video (CBR) and select in the Bit rate box some
"Total Bit Rate"'s
(I have 93, 45 and 19 Kbps selected>
Click on finish

Do not start to stream for now..

Now go to Properties and select [Compression] and [Edit]
If you selected 93, 45 and 19 Kbps you will see 3 tabs marked with it.

You can now customize each stream (like video size, frame rate, buffer size
and so on..)
I really suggest that you do play with the settings! I've managed to tweak
the 3 streams to take only 10 to 15 % of CPU power on my P4 1600 MHz system!

Do not forget to save the settings!

Once all is setup nice, you can auto start the encoder with a "shortcut" in
your startup.
Put the following in the shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\wmenc.exe" stream.wme
/Start

Small note. The name of the saved settings is stream.wme, and it's in the
same directory as where wmenc.exe is setting. If you saved your profile with
an other name you will need to change it to the one you use.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Noël® <n03l@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com> wrote:

> Thom here some info on how to set your own profile.
>
> Start WME
> New Session > Broadcast a live event > OK
> Select camera > next
> Select Pull from the encoder > next
> Select port you use to stream on > next
> Select Multi bit rates video (CBR) and select in the Bit rate box some
> "Total Bit Rate"'s
> (I have 93, 45 and 19 Kbps selected>
> Click on finish
>
> Do not start to stream for now..
>
> Now go to Properties and select [Compression] and [Edit]
> If you selected 93, 45 and 19 Kbps you will see 3 tabs marked with it.
>
> You can now customize each stream (like video size, frame rate,
> buffer size and so on..)
> I really suggest that you do play with the settings! I've managed to
> tweak the 3 streams to take only 10 to 15 % of CPU power on my P4
> 1600 MHz system!
> Do not forget to save the settings!
>
> Once all is setup nice, you can auto start the encoder with a
> "shortcut" in your startup.
> Put the following in the shortcut:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\wmenc.exe"
> stream.wme /Start
>
> Small note. The name of the saved settings is stream.wme, and it's in
> the same directory as where wmenc.exe is setting. If you saved your
> profile with an other name you will need to change it to the one you
> use.
> Let me know if you need anymore help.

First of all, thanks for the terrific advice. It's greatly appreciated.

Now as to my results. If I follow your instructions to the letter, I wind
up with a (physically) smaller stream.

Also? Choosing all three bit-rates adds a strain to my CPU. (right around
25% usage)

If I go with just the "93", it defaults to a 240x180 stream, which I
consider too small. If I go to edit, and manually change the output to the
desired 320x240, the video becomes grainy because I'm 'artificailly'
stretching it.

I'm sure others will disagree, but it's my personal preference not to stream
at anything less than 320x240. I've noticed from my site-stats that most
people who visit have a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768, and
anything less than a 320x240 stream looks like a postage stamp at that
screen resolution. :-)

So for now, I've opted for 128kb/s. It's the lowest rate that offers the
ability to stream clearly at my personal minimum (320x240) requirement.

Couple more questions if you don't mind?

- Is 128kb/s still to much for dial-up users?

- I've noticed there are codec choices in the "Edit" portion of the
software. It would seem to me that using the WMV7 codec would allow people
running older versions of WMP to see the stream without forcing them to
update. Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Thom
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 28, 2004 7:49:10 PM

> Noël® <n03l@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com> wrote:
>
>> Thom here some info on how to set your own profile.
>>
>> Start WME
>> New Session > Broadcast a live event > OK
>> Select camera > next
>> Select Pull from the encoder > next
>> Select port you use to stream on > next
>> Select Multi bit rates video (CBR) and select in the Bit rate box some
>> "Total Bit Rate"'s
>> (I have 93, 45 and 19 Kbps selected>
>> Click on finish
>>
>> Do not start to stream for now..
>>
>> Now go to Properties and select [Compression] and [Edit]
>> If you selected 93, 45 and 19 Kbps you will see 3 tabs marked with it.
>>
>> You can now customize each stream (like video size, frame rate,
>> buffer size and so on..)
>> I really suggest that you do play with the settings! I've managed to
>> tweak the 3 streams to take only 10 to 15 % of CPU power on my P4
>> 1600 MHz system!
>> Do not forget to save the settings!
>>
>> Once all is setup nice, you can auto start the encoder with a
>> "shortcut" in your startup.
>> Put the following in the shortcut:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\wmenc.exe"
>> stream.wme /Start
>>
>> Small note. The name of the saved settings is stream.wme, and it's in
>> the same directory as where wmenc.exe is setting. If you saved your
>> profile with an other name you will need to change it to the one you
>> use.
>> Let me know if you need anymore help.
>
> First of all, thanks for the terrific advice. It's greatly appreciated.
>
> Now as to my results. If I follow your instructions to the letter, I wind
> up with a (physically) smaller stream.
>
> Also? Choosing all three bit-rates adds a strain to my CPU. (right
> around 25% usage)
>
> If I go with just the "93", it defaults to a 240x180 stream, which I
> consider too small. If I go to edit, and manually change the output to
> the desired 320x240, the video becomes grainy because I'm 'artificailly'
> stretching it.
>
> I'm sure others will disagree, but it's my personal preference not to
> stream at anything less than 320x240. I've noticed from my site-stats
> that most people who visit have a screen resolution of at least 1024 x
> 768, and anything less than a 320x240 stream looks like a postage stamp at
> that screen resolution. :-)
>
> So for now, I've opted for 128kb/s. It's the lowest rate that offers the
> ability to stream clearly at my personal minimum (320x240) requirement.

This is all correct, and you should stream in what you think is best..
Still you should play a bit more with the settings. There are a lot of
options that you can use to make it also look good when you stream in "93"
and force it to 320x240.

You can also change the "93" to a custom setting!
Stop the stream, go to properties > compression > edit and select the 93
Kbps tab. Now you can change the "frame rate", "Video bit rate", "Video
smoothness" and so on..

> Couple more questions if you don't mind?
>
> - Is 128kb/s still to much for dial-up users?

Yes it's still to much. A dial-up will get "at his best" around 56kb/s.
128kb/s is about ISDN speed.

I do not know what your upload speed is, but it's no point using any
bit-rate higher that what it is.
(If you have a 512 kbit up the max you can put true it will be just under
512 kbit)

> - I've noticed there are codec choices in the "Edit" portion of the
> software. It would seem to me that using the WMV7 codec would allow
> people running older versions of WMP to see the stream without forcing
> them to update. Is that correct?

Yes the WMV7 codec (what I use) is for the "old" windows media player, and
will not force the users who are using the old WMP to 1st download a new
codec!
The performance of the WMV7 codec is a bit less than the new one, but it
will also take less CPU power of the system that you are using to stream.

> Thanks again!

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Noël® <n03l@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com> wrote:

> "Thom" <Thom@no.invalid> wrote in message

>> Noël® <n03l@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com> wrote:

>> First of all, thanks for the terrific advice. It's greatly
>> appreciated.
>> Now as to my results. If I follow your instructions to the letter,
>> I wind up with a (physically) smaller stream.
>>
>> Also? Choosing all three bit-rates adds a strain to my CPU. (right
>> around 25% usage)
>>
>> If I go with just the "93", it defaults to a 240x180 stream, which I
>> consider too small. If I go to edit, and manually change the output
>> to the desired 320x240, the video becomes grainy because I'm
>> 'artificailly' stretching it.
>>
>> I'm sure others will disagree, but it's my personal preference not to
>> stream at anything less than 320x240. I've noticed from my
>> site-stats that most people who visit have a screen resolution of at
>> least 1024 x 768, and anything less than a 320x240 stream looks like
>> a postage stamp at that screen resolution. :-)
>>
>> So for now, I've opted for 128kb/s. It's the lowest rate that
>> offers the ability to stream clearly at my personal minimum
>> (320x240) requirement.
> This is all correct, and you should stream in what you think is best..
> Still you should play a bit more with the settings. There are a lot of
> options that you can use to make it also look good when you stream in
> "93" and force it to 320x240.

I'll keep mucking around in there. :-)

> You can also change the "93" to a custom setting!
> Stop the stream, go to properties > compression > edit and select the
> 93 Kbps tab. Now you can change the "frame rate", "Video bit rate",
> "Video smoothness" and so on..

Cool. I'll give it a go.

>> Couple more questions if you don't mind?
>>
>> - Is 128kb/s still to much for dial-up users?
>
> Yes it's still to much. A dial-up will get "at his best" around
> 56kb/s. 128kb/s is about ISDN speed.
>
> I do not know what your upload speed is, but it's no point using any
> bit-rate higher that what it is.

According to several tests run at DSL reports, I'm averaging around 250kb/s
(upload), and around 1500kb/s (download).

>> - I've noticed there are codec choices in the "Edit" portion of the
>> software. It would seem to me that using the WMV7 codec would allow
>> people running older versions of WMP to see the stream without
>> forcing them to update. Is that correct?
>>
> Yes the WMV7 codec (what I use) is for the "old" windows media
> player, and will not force the users who are using the old WMP to 1st
> download a new codec!
> The performance of the WMV7 codec is a bit less than the new one, but
> it will also take less CPU power of the system that you are using to
> stream.

OK, good. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

Here are the current settings. WMP-7 codec. 65kb/s at 15 fp/s

I'd appreciate it if someone would have a look and get back to me as to
quality and buffering time. Especially someone on a dial-up.

http://www.crampy.com/webcam.htm

Thanks again!

Thom
September 28, 2004 9:36:57 PM

Thom typed this:

> Doc <pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Thom typed this:
>
> [..]
>
>>>Hey Doc,
>>>I don't have any experience with AXIS products, but I recently
>>>purchased a Creative NX-Ultra that came with the software you'd need
>>>for doing what you want to do. I'm not shilling for Creative. Probably
>>>pretty much any newer webcam will come with similar
>>>software.
>>>You don't mention what Operating system you'll be using, so I'll
>>>base the rest of my reply *assuming* Windows XP. If you're not
>>>running XP? You can stop reading now. :-)
>>>
>>>Should you happen to purchase a cam that does not come with the
>>>software you need? There's a free way around it. For instance;
>>>
>>>There's a free Powertoy
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
>>>called "Timershot" that will do what you want.
>>>
>>>If you decide you'd like to stream the video (and audio too, if you
>>>so desire) instead? You can download "Windows Media Encoder" which
>>>is also free.
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/e...
>>>and broadcasts live video beautifully .
>>>
>>>Keep this in mind though;
>>>You say you want to use this set-up to monitor your home. This
>>>infers you will be doing it from someplace other than another room
>>>in your home. Your job, perhaps? If that's the case, you may want
>>>to make sure wherever you'll be monitoring *from* will allow you to
>>>access "live content" on the web. *Many* employers have their
>>>networks set up to *not* allow that sort of thing, for obvious
>>>reasons. :-)
>>>And you're right. Lot's of knowledgable folks here. It's where I
>>>learned about Windows Media Encoder, and how to set it up.
>>>Good luck,
>>>Thom
>>
>>HI Thom,
>>Many thanks. I "am" hearing about Media Encoder... will look into it.
>>Did read somewhere here that it takes up a lot of the CPU process?
>

> Anywhere from 8-11% of my P4. I don't even notice it.
>
>>Which really isn't a problem on the sending PC... as it will be
>>unused basically. XP Pro, SP2 is the OS... right.
>
> Yes. XP-Pro (SP2) would be your OS.
>
>>Saw a couple of nice D-Links last night. Less expensive than AXIS,
>>will buy just ONE cam to begin with and see how it works...
>>
>>No sweat on the office, have that worked out... access to the Cisco.
>>Appreciate the help. Any other thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
>

> Nothing I can think of at the moment. I have my cam on as we speak. The
> setup is using an old Intel Cam with Windows Media Encoder set to
> "VHS-quality output". Check it out if you like;
>
> www.crampy.com/webcam.htm
> Thom

Thom!
Many thanks.. now following this thread and will most probably set up a
cam this coming week. Noel, great INFO!!!! Wonderful NG here!!!

--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto: pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 28, 2004 9:45:36 PM

> Here are the current settings. WMP-7 codec. 65kb/s at 15 fp/s
>
> I'd appreciate it if someone would have a look and get back to me as to
> quality and buffering time. Especially someone on a dial-up.
>
> http://www.crampy.com/webcam.htm
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Thom

Thom, I'm not on a dial-up but I must say that your stream looks great at
65kb/s.
I'm also getting a 29.9 fps, and have no buffering problems! This is really
good!

Keep up the good work and... Welcome to the real webcam stream club :-)

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Noël® <n03l@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com> wrote:

>> Here are the current settings. WMP-7 codec. 65kb/s at 15 fp/s
>>
>> I'd appreciate it if someone would have a look and get back to me as
>> to quality and buffering time. Especially someone on a dial-up.
>>
>> http://www.crampy.com/webcam.htm
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> Thom
>>

> Thom, I'm not on a dial-up but I must say that your stream looks
> great at 65kb/s.
> I'm also getting a 29.9 fps, and have no buffering problems! This is
> really good!
>
> Keep up the good work and... Welcome to the real webcam stream club
> :-)

Couldn't have done it without your help. REALLY!

Thanks again!

Thom
September 29, 2004 7:11:34 PM

David D. typed this:

>>Saw a couple of nice D-Links last night. Less expensive than AXIS, will
>>buy just ONE cam to begin with and see how it works...
>

> The Dlink DCS 900 cameras seems Ok (and are cheaper than AXIS), note
> there are some on www.ebay.com ! ;-)

Bought one today. Will begin the process when it arrives. Seems like it
sets up nicely. Have to see. Hope so... Will try for streaming thru a
dynamic dns service (my IP is dynamic, so...). Be fun.

--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto: pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 30, 2004 12:32:03 PM

Thanks Thom

Can I trouble you to provide a short version of of a step by step to
supplying a "link" (on the website) to the feed from my computer. Is
this done with a script? and if the cam was a ethernet cam, could the
router software or interface open up the appropriate port, and them
how would i see or access that ip over the internet if my pc was off.

My whole hang up is, if the cam picks up an ip of say 192.168.1.106,
which is just a local router ip, how do i actually see it from outside
if the ip on my router changes due to the dsl service i have. if i
use one of the free services, for dynamic dns, i am still wondering
how i setup the whole thing.

You seem to do it when the pc is on through a script and an open port.

thanks in advance
September 30, 2004 4:32:27 PM

Rick H <rick@dryerbox.com> wrote:

> Thanks Thom
>
> Can I trouble you to provide a short version of of a step by step to
> supplying a "link" (on the website) to the feed from my computer. Is
> this done with a script?

It can be done in various ways. I'm doing it by placing an "object" element
in the HTML on the page. Like so;

{Credit to Noel}
--------------------------
<object id="NSPlay"
classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/e..."
standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components..."
type="application/x-oleobject">
<param name="FileName" value="http://yourIP:Your port#/">
<param name="ShowControls" value="0">
<param name="ShowDisplay" value="0">
<param name="ShowStatusBar" value="1">
<param name="AutoSize" value="0">
<embed width = "336" height = "280"
type="application/x-mplayer2"
pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Downloads/Contents/Pro..."
</embed>
</object>
--------------------------
The only change you would need to make to the above would be to insert your
IP and port # in the "File Name" param. Just make sure you leave the colon
(:)  right where it is. So it's like .. "http://123.45.67.8COLON8080/"

> and if the cam was a ethernet cam, could the
> router software or interface open up the appropriate port, and them
> how would i see or access that ip over the internet if my pc was off.

Can't help ya there. Sorry.

> My whole hang up is, if the cam picks up an ip of say 192.168.1.106,
> which is just a local router ip, how do i actually see it from outside
> if the ip on my router changes due to the dsl service i have. if i
> use one of the free services, for dynamic dns, i am still wondering
> how i setup the whole thing.

Again. I'm not sure. Hopefully someone will be along shortly who can
answer you properly.

> You seem to do it when the pc is on through a script and an open port.

That's correct. I use my "real" IP (not my router's) along with the object
element described above. Some of my more security-oriented friends ask me
why I leave my IP open to the world like that. And all I can tell 'em is
that my IP ain't exactly a secret. :-) Comcast/Giganews tacks it onto every
email I send, and every newsgroup post I make. (Check my headers.) I
suppose if someone really wanted to "get me", they could. But what are they
gonna do? Ping me to death? If I see that happening, all I have to do is
release/renew my IP, report it to Comcast, and let *them* deal with it. :-)

> thanks in advance

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thom
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 1, 2004 2:40:18 AM

"Rick H" <
> My whole hang up is, if the cam picks up an ip of say 192.168.1.106,
> which is just a local router ip, how do i actually see it from outside
> if the ip on my router changes due to the dsl service i have. if i
> use one of the free services, for dynamic dns, i am still wondering
> how i setup the whole thing.

most network cams will have internal settings for free dydns.com & some
others - first you would sign up there and choose a friendly offering like
homeip.net then add a name infront of it of your choosing ,,, like
myNanny.homeip.net, inside the camera choose dydns.com and fill in
login/password then every few minutes hopefully it will self check and if
wan IP changes it goes and logins to dydns and updates the records.

Set your cam internally to a ip# outside the routers DHCP range - most
routers use DHCP/ip ending#'s around .150 through .200, so maybe just simply
choose the default cam ip usually 192.168.0.20 and preferably internally
set cam ports to something other than 80, like 81 & 8081 so all the
misc.never.ever.ending hack attempts on 80 are still generically blocked by
the router.

In your router under Virtual Server set the cam IP# to allow WAN traffic on
the ports you've chosen. like above IP 192.168.0.20 TCP port 81 > 81 and
duplicate a seperate VirtualServer rule/setting for each other opened port
it requires.

Then your web page link or direct access to the cam will be
http://myNanny.homeip.net:81/

Something like that is how it works...
Make much more sense if you have a network cam , router & look at its
configurations - Hopefully
ps. (I use dyndns, they allow up to five free names and its been 100%
reliable for me - that I'm aware of anyhow.)
October 3, 2004 11:42:21 PM

Doc typed this:

> David D. typed this:

>>> Saw a couple of nice D-Links last night. Less expensive than
>>> AXIS, will buy just ONE cam to begin with and see how it works...
>>>

>> The Dlink DCS 900 cameras seems Ok (and are cheaper than AXIS),
>> note there are some on www.ebay.com ! ;-)
>
> Bought one today. Will begin the process when it arrives. Seems like
> it sets up nicely. Have to see. Hope so... Will try for streaming
> thru a dynamic dns service (my IP is dynamic, so...). Be fun.

Okay, rec'd the D-Link DCS900W Wireless WebCam on Friday..
unpacked it, nice looking, fairly rugged, easy to quickly attach base
and wireless ant. and power supply.

Software Quick Start is PRETTY basic. The CD has the more complete
USER'S QUIDE and, while it is fairly self-explanatory, the device needs
some configuring to use behind a ROUTER / FW and that is best explained
in the full USER GUIDE.

Basic setup and first function using Defaults was simple and quick.
Then setting up Wireless access to router (vs. best practice 'first' use
cat cable) went pretty well (I use a ZyXel Prestige 334W - had 'not'
been setup for wireless before - rather insecure in my estimate) -
The CAMERA does NOT support WPA, ONLY WEP. Darn... I used a 'share only'
key of 128bit and hid the ssid in addition to Mac filtering. None of
which make it as secure as I believe (I think) WPA might, but what is
one to do...?

Both Wireless and Cat connections worked without fault.

Setup a DynDNS.org account and setup a Dynamic name to augment the
sometimes changing dynamic IP address I get from Comcast ISP.

Port forwarded to something other than default in the ZyXel (uses SUA
as the port forwarding and NOT really a selection for protocol that I
could see in the GUI management interface, perhaps in the Command Line
or telnet interface - ?? AnYONE??? -

Called a friend and had them plug the Dyn account name into their
Browser along wiht the PORT identifier and away we went.

Will use the IPView software for the addition of two more cameras. Note
the 'view' of the lens is moderately narrow ... would like a slightly
wider camera angle but NOT SURE if ANY cam for this PRICE would do that.
In addition, the IPView allows for motion sensing and alerting, so
forth. Can off load to HD for storage and over-write per instructions.
Still tinkering, not bad.

Thanks.

--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto: pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 4, 2004 7:53:15 PM

David, i have the 900w. behind a linksys router. can i get some
screen shots of your setup so i can get this working. probably with
dysDNS.org. thanks and sorry if any trouble.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 5, 2004 8:37:19 PM

On 4 Oct 2004 15:53:15 -0700, rick@dryerbox.com (Rick H) wrote:

>David, i have the 900w. behind a linksys router. can i get some
>screen shots of your setup so i can get this working. probably with
>dysDNS.org. thanks and sorry if any trouble.

I don't own a 900w, I wish to.
!