Old computer with 2 Hard Drives

jean

I've just upgraded to XP on an old 266 machine with a small C drive and a
larger D drive somehow I've got XP on both drives. I'd like to remove one
copy. I can completely wipe the C if there is any easy way.

This machine isn't used for anything hi-tech but the kids like music.
--
Thanks,
Jean

"Jean" <Jean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just upgraded to XP on an old 266 machine with a small C drive and a
> larger D drive somehow I've got XP on both drives. I'd like to remove one
> copy. I can completely wipe the C if there is any easy way.
>
> This machine isn't used for anything hi-tech but the kids like music.
> --
> Thanks,
> Jean

If the machine has XP on C and this is the boot drive, just format the D
drive and this will get rid of XP on it.

"Jean" <Jean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've just upgraded to XP on an old 266 machine with a small C drive and a
>larger D drive somehow I've got XP on both drives. I'd like to remove one
>copy. I can completely wipe the C if there is any easy way.

Edit the BOOT.INI file and delete the C-installation from here. See
"How to Edit the BOOT.INI File in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022) for details. Then you can
manually delete the Windows files from C.

--
(tm)

jean

Thanks for the help. Before I got your reply I actually was able to format
the old C- it got rid of the second copy but now when it boots up I get the
Windows XP banner and then the screen goes blank. I'm guessing that I have a
corrupted copy on D or a hardware issue.
I'd like to get the computer to boot from the XP disk but it doesn't seem to
want to read the drive. The bios before I started changing things had the
primary master hard drive with the other hard as the slave and the 2 CD's as
secondary master and slave. Also to make matters worse when I try to enter
setup it's not recogonizing the del key. Any suggestions.
Thanks again.

Jean wrote:
> Thanks for the help. Before I got your reply I actually was able to format
> the old C- it got rid of the second copy but now when it boots up I get the
> Windows XP banner and then the screen goes blank. I'm guessing that I have a
> corrupted copy on D or a hardware issue.
> I'd like to get the computer to boot from the XP disk but it doesn't seem to
> want to read the drive. The bios before I started changing things had the
> primary master hard drive with the other hard as the slave and the 2 CD's as
> secondary master and slave. Also to make matters worse when I try to enter
> setup it's not recogonizing the del key. Any suggestions.
> Thanks again.
>
> "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:
>

>>"Jean" <Jean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I've just upgraded to XP on an old 266 machine with a small C drive and a
>>>larger D drive somehow I've got XP on both drives. I'd like to remove one
>>>copy. I can completely wipe the C if there is any easy way.
>>
>>Edit the BOOT.INI file and delete the C-installation from here. See
>>"How to Edit the BOOT.INI File in Windows XP"
>>(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022) for details. Then you can
>>manually delete the Windows files from C.
>>
>>--
>>(tm)

Did you set your D drive to the master? It's probably
still trying to boot from C

gls858

gls858

jean

No, not yet- Any suggestions on how to do it now. I can't seem to get to it
through setup- can I swap cables in the PC?

Jean wrote:
> No, not yet- Any suggestions on how to do it now. I can't seem to get to it
> through setup- can I swap cables in the PC?
>
> "gls858" wrote:
>

>>Jean wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for the help. Before I got your reply I actually was able to format
>>>the old C- it got rid of the second copy but now when it boots up I get the
>>>Windows XP banner and then the screen goes blank. I'm guessing that I have a
>>>corrupted copy on D or a hardware issue.
>>>I'd like to get the computer to boot from the XP disk but it doesn't seem to
>>>want to read the drive. The bios before I started changing things had the
>>>primary master hard drive with the other hard as the slave and the 2 CD's as
>>>secondary master and slave. Also to make matters worse when I try to enter
>>>setup it's not recogonizing the del key. Any suggestions.
>>>Thanks again.

>>Did you set your D drive to the master? It's probably
>>still trying to boot from C
>>
>>gls858
>>
>>gls858

There are jumpers on the back of the drive. Chances are you will
have to remove the drive to get to them. Usually there are directions on
the drive for jumpers placement to make it a slave or master.
If you know the brand and model number there should be instructions
on the company web site.

gls858

jean

I'll try that tomorrow and let you know if I'm successful.

"gls858" wrote:

> Jean wrote:
> > No, not yet- Any suggestions on how to do it now. I can't seem to get to it
> > through setup- can I swap cables in the PC?

> >>Did you set your D drive to the master? It's probably
> >>still trying to boot from C
> >>
> >>gls858
> >>
> >>gls858
> >>
> There are jumpers on the back of the drive. Chances are you will
> have to remove the drive to get to them. Usually there are directions on
> the drive for jumpers placement to make it a slave or master.
> If you know the brand and model number there should be instructions
> on the company web site.
>
> gls858

jean

THANKS for the help- I read how to change the drives so I was ready to make
the change. I changed the keyboard and was able to access the bios enough
for it to think about itself. I then let XP try to boot up- I don't know how
long it ran- I left it on overnight and it suddenly started operating. I've
shutdown and restarted a couple of times- everything looks okay. I still
don't trust the machine - I'm going to copy all the document type files and
then try and update the bios. But for now it's dong better than I expected.

Thanks again

Jean wrote:
> THANKS for the help- I read how to change the drives so I was ready to make
> the change. I changed the keyboard and was able to access the bios enough
> for it to think about itself. I then let XP try to boot up- I don't know how
> long it ran- I left it on overnight and it suddenly started operating. I've
> shutdown and restarted a couple of times- everything looks okay. I still
> don't trust the machine - I'm going to copy all the document type files and
> then try and update the bios. But for now it's dong better than I expected.
>
> Thanks again
>
> "gls858" wrote:
>

>>Jean wrote:
>>
>>>No, not yet- Any suggestions on how to do it now. I can't seem to get to it
>>>through setup- can I swap cables in the PC?

>>There are jumpers on the back of the drive. Chances are you will
>>have to remove the drive to get to them. Usually there are directions on
>>the drive for jumpers placement to make it a slave or master.
>>If you know the brand and model number there should be instructions
>>on the company web site.
>>
>>gls858

Glad you got it sorted.

gls858