Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire Radeon x1950 Pro Bug causes Standby mode

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2006 2:58:42 PM

Recently purchased Sapphire Radeon x1950 Pro and have come across an issue where the screen goes into standby mode and the Video Card fan jumps to 100% . This happens running 3d games and just going to ATI Cat. Control Center and selecting 3d Options, but not while browsing internet. I have downloaded latest ATI drivers and uninstalled and re-installed twice w/ no luck.
Found a link on the Sapphire Troubleshooting Forums (http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/forums/showthread.php?t=...) where it appears many are having this probelm now and they are thinking it has to do with how the card handles heat. Sapphire doesn't appear to be willing to address this. Though, interestingly, they happened to release a "Ultimate" version of this card that has an improved Fan and heatsink.

Wondering if any others here have come across this?
Thanks
December 14, 2006 3:09:28 AM

Sure have, I have the exact same problem. It actually crashes windows, after the reset windows reports the THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER error. I actually have two that I switch back and forth between crossfire mode, but this crash occurs whether I'm in CF or not.

Not sure what mb you have, I have an ASUS p5w DH Deluxe. But on some ASUS boards in the chipset configuration section of the bios there's a PEG Link. By setting this to Slow, default was auto, I was able to open the CCC without it crashing the computer. And can even play games for about 5 minutes before the crash.

I'm guessing it's a heat problem based on what I've read, thinking of RMAing for the Ultimate with the bigger fan and heat sink.
December 14, 2006 9:10:52 AM

My dad has an P5W DH Deluxe, and a X1600pro. For some reason, his pc went into standby, and never got out again. It only briefly showed the log on screen, and then it was gone again.

I uninstalled something (Asus software), I just can't remember what, and his problem was gone. I could swear it was the remote control software.

And this is not the first time I'm reading about ATi and Asus P5 problems.... You should take it up with Asus, although knowing customer support these days it might be a bit hard.
Related resources
December 14, 2006 7:40:29 PM

Thanks for the tip, but I never installed the remote software. All I have installed is ASUS Update and PC Probe II.
December 15, 2006 5:40:36 PM

Quote:
Sure have, I have the exact same problem. It actually crashes windows, after the reset windows reports the THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER error. I actually have two that I switch back and forth between crossfire mode, but this crash occurs whether I'm in CF or not.

Not sure what mb you have, I have an ASUS p5w DH Deluxe. But on some ASUS boards in the chipset configuration section of the bios there's a PEG Link. By setting this to Slow, default was auto, I was able to open the CCC without it crashing the computer. And can even play games for about 5 minutes before the crash.

I'm guessing it's a heat problem based on what I've read, thinking of RMAing for the Ultimate with the bigger fan and heat sink.

I actually have the ASUS P5B-e motherboard. I wound up returning my S@pphire Card (RMA back to newegg) and purchased the HIS version instead... in my initial tests, I didn't see the same problem, but I admittely haven't tested it much since I just got it this week. I did get an automated email reply from ATI that they have just released a new patch... so maybe try that.
I am happier, at least with the cooling design of the HIS brand, since it is much larger and should better handle the heat.

Good luck!
January 9, 2007 11:26:05 PM

Did you continue to have the same problem with your HIS version of the card? I am having the same issues with my Asus x1950Pro using P5B-Deluxe MB. I haven't figured out a fix yet.

What tools allow you to view the vid card's core temp?
January 12, 2007 5:56:53 PM

Quote:
Did you continue to have the same problem with your HIS version of the card? I am having the same issues with my Asus x1950Pro using P5B-Deluxe MB. I haven't figured out a fix yet.

What tools allow you to view the vid card's core temp?

Chet,
I believe I used CoreTemp... its been a while and I am not at home to verify that. I did notice that the ASUS software was reporting different temps than CoreTemp... and I found online somewhere that different tools monitor the temps at different locations on the chip.

The HIS that I replaced mine with has not had any issues... haven't played a ton but hasn't crashed while playing NWN2 at all.

Hope this helps.
January 12, 2007 7:14:47 PM

Thanks, that does help. I did find the temp monitor in Ati Tray tools so I know it isn't GPU overheating.

I believe it is a bad VRM on the x1950Pro that is causing my lockups just like a lot of the Sapphire owners are having. Going to RMA my card to Asus and hope the replacement is fine. I am assuming I just got unlucky since a lot of reviews online for the Asus x1950Pro were all positive and didn't report any problem with their unit.

So frustrating when you can't even run a 5 year old game (Counter-Strike) without it crashing the computer.
Anonymous
August 28, 2009 3:03:38 PM

Jesus, let me tell you now. I have suffered with this problem for a long time. I only really just addressed it though. My card is running at 65 degrees centigrade under no stress. So I'm thinking yes it is certainly a heatsync issue. I'm going to buy a super cool case, and hopefully that will reduce the issue a lot. If not I don't know what to tell you. I am told average gaming for a graphics card should bring the cards temperature to around 65 these days. So I'm pretty sure that is the issue.
!