x1900xt Temps

BigguN

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Using ATI tool my card is idle at around 51C and after a session of Oblivion I have saw it get up to 79C. Im guessing thats pretty high. What are some good aftermarket coolers out there these days?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
That's pretty normal temps for that card on stock cooling, just fyi.

For aftermarket coolers, there's the Accelero X2 and the Zalman VF-900.

Moebius078

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
must admit, my Sapphire x1900xt idles at 55°C gets up to 90°C when playing oblivion. I don't think you should worry too. just consider it as a substitute for central heating...

nevesis

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
You can always use ATI TRAY TOOLS and goto OVERCLOCKING > FAN, change it from automatic to manual.. up the fan RPM to anything over 50 and it will significantly cool your card down!

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
[quote="just consider it as a substitute for central heating...[/quote]

lol yup, with the cards today its all a normal thing lol, i myselfe have a x850xt and i can feel the room get a bit woarmer after that 2 hours of gameplay, lol cant wait to see what happens with the dx10 cards, lol - well have a separate airvent for the flames to come out, and a liquid cooling system used as stock in addition to some fans lol ;)

BigguN

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Ya I had read how some ran really hot but I wanted to attempt upping the clock speeds a little. I went ahead and put a order in for the Zalman VF 900 some artic silver 5 an two 120mm case fans for good measure...

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
gl with the modd, btw that cooler comes with aluminum heatsinks for the memory(just to let You know) there are some thermaltake copper eatsinks for i think 7 or $9 on newegg(just to let You know) , i myselfe will be changing my stock cooliong on the gpu, but honestly ill do it just because i cant stand the noise of the stock gpu fan, i cant realy hear my game sound unless i have headphones on, its asif someone stuck a hair dryyer in my case, im geting a arctic cooling hsf for my x850xt, and next year winter 2007 ill be geting a dx10 card, hopefully theyll go down in price even thou theyr release was postponed till february.

gl with the mod m8.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Ya I had read how some ran really hot but I wanted to attempt upping the clock speeds a little. I went ahead and put a order in for the Zalman VF 900 some artic silver 5 an two 120mm case fans for good measure...
I hope that VF 900 works for you, because on the X1900XTX it only drops temps 5C (according to Tom's):
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/14/thermalrights_the_hr-03_is_a_vga_cooler_gorilla/page4.html

The X1900s are just hot as hell (I have Zalman VF 900 on my nV 7600GT and I've never seen it hit 50C. Idles at 35c). Hope this info helps though, and if you don't solve problem with VF 900 you can always grab a Thermalright HR-03 (that thing is impressive).

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
thats why i like the coolers with an exhaust, so the card gets cooled, and the hot air wont get recycled, and gets out of the case, , because in the long run (1 or 2 hours of gaming) the cooler will not be as efficient as if the hot air would be exhausted, and besides it kelps keep other components temps down as well because the cpu wont have to use the same hot air that the gpu used, lol now someone has to come up with an exhaust for a cpu-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------copyrighted idea :D ----------------------------

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
are there? lol i didnt know i saw a zalman hsf that blew air towards the exhaust fan in the back, but i never saw any direct case air intake, and exhaust to exterior of the case designs, interesting, do You know maby what company does those? just curious how that looks, thx

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
are there? lol i didnt know i saw a zalman hsf that blew air towards the exhaust fan in the back, but i never saw any direct case air intake, and exhaust to exterior of the case designs, interesting, do You know maby what company does those? just curious how that looks, thx
Well, I don't know about 3rd-party manufacturers, but I've seen that in Dell Precision workstations (they have a plastic duct going from CPU fan directly to mesh in the back of the case).

It's probably hard for somebody like ZALMAN to do something like that, because there isn't a standard for case exhausts.

I guess you're right for most cases... the closest you're going to get is this:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/other/tt-coolers/p27.jpg&1=1
http://images.planetamd64.com/athildja/KN1/ECS-exhaust.jpg

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
i saw the second motherboard fan, and i think also the infinity(or fatality, forgot what it was called) motherboard has it, but i ment a direct cpu exhaust, not a "close" to the cpu, one, thats why i was surprised , i know a bit related one, i was it in a btx case i think but that was a mod, which i have to admit is quite nice, basically someone used acrylic sheets to separate the cpu from the rest of the components, so only the intake to the cpu fan was abve the acrylic part, and the rest was ducted to the top exhaust fan, that thing looked weird, but i guess it did what it was ment to do, and the guy had a direct vent going from a bottom side fan towards his gpu card, and that air did get exhausted to the back(i think it was one of the 1900 series cards) so only bacically the other 2 (1 front, 1 side) fan did cool teh rest of components, and i guess the psu, so his temps were rather looking good on all components lol

actually i was thinking about making a small duct from my upper side fan to go directly to my cpu fan, but im not shoor if that wil bring the temps down by a lot (cost/benefit problem :wink: ) and i was thinking about ducting mu botom side fan to move the exterior air directly to the (or close to the ) intake of my gpu, that whould bring the temps down bu atleast couple of degrees, hopefully, ....has anyone done so maby?

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
lol got an idea, what if i would reverse teh cpu fan airflow, and make the air go up , and use a duct and blow that air out wouldnt that bring my temps down a bit? or is it always beter to blow air onto the cpu?

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Er, thread hijack?

What does CPU temp have to do with video card temps???

Don't you hate how people come in and decide to change topics and then someone else comes in and is like, 'THREAD HIJACK!" When the author himself is straying off course anyways, therefore if the author goes that way, why should it matter?

Make sense?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Well, one fan exhausts to back, one doesn't. Either way, your temps will be cooler. But more importantly, the Zalman will be silent. And considering the HSF on the 1900XT sounds like a leaf blower, I'd consider that a HUGE improvement......lower temps, quieter......can't ask for much more from an HSF ;)

Good luck, have fun with it! Good purchase.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
yup i agree, with my hsf on my gpu i just dont even want to play games anymore, that hairdryer just pisses me off as hell, even on 20% fan speeds its loud, and not to mentione my hearing is excelent, so i even can distinguish which fan makes the noiz :(, especialy in the summer when i crank up the intake fans by a bit in the front i can hear them more lol (and to think they are thermaltake "silent" fans) :(

TRENDING THREADS