Best Cooling Option for QX6700?

deathbydonut

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Looking at both water cooling and HSF's I know that the tuniq tower is good and scythe infinity but just curious which would be the best option to go with in you good peoples opinions.

Also which temps should i be striving for idealy? My room is kinda hot most of the year ranging around 78-90 degrees F (not sure what that translates into celcius)

Also if i go with a water cooling solution, I plan on having 2 8800 GTX's in SLI, are water cooling kits upgradable to cool both my cards, or would i have to get more kits to block the GPU's also?

Thanks guys/gals!

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
a good water cooling setup would beat something like the scythe infinity any day, it all comes down to how much you want to spend (air, eh, about $70 max. water, about $300 at least, $500+ for something really good) and how much time are you willing to spend on setting up the cooling.

air cooling=mount it on the mobo. watercooling=after you research all the parts and buy them, you have to assembly/hook it up, bleed the system, and then it'll need some maintenance every-so-often, like changing the water/coolant.

so water is much better if you have the cash for it and have the time to get it up and running. you could get a water cooling kit, but those arent as good as buying all the parts separately.

To add a gpu cooler all you would need is some more tubing and a block for the gpu.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
The QX runs fairly cool when compared to the smelters that the Pentium Ds were, so unless you wanna OC it within an inch of its silicon life, I'd think that a topend air like the Tuniq Tower 120 in a well ventilated case should do the trick for you. Personally I like to avoid the complexity, expense and possible catastrophic failure/leakage of water, but that's just me.

The problem you have is that your ambient temp is just way too high. Up to 90F? Dude, time to invest about a hundred bucks into a 6000 BTU window air conditioner! Even running a WC system in those air temps is not gonna help much.