Installing programs over multiple user accounts...

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi, everyone...

I've had some problems with the installation of programs over multiple user
accounts in Windows XP Professional:

For example, when I installed Office XP from within my personal
administrator account, I am able to use the program just fine from my
account. But, if I try to access Word, Excel, etc., from another user
account (even if that user has administrative privileges), XP prompts me to
insert the Office CD so that I can install the program. When I cancel out
of the installation process, the program loads anyway -- therefore, I know
that that account *can* access the software; but I'm not sure why Windows XP
thinks it isn't installed, and thus asks for me to insert the installation
CD.

Any thoughts, anyone??

THANKS!
~Alessandro, aka WhyMe.

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Sure, it has to do with a missing dword value. Try line 171 (right hand
side). Ignore the name:

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 23:25:21 -0500, ?WhyMe? wrote:

> Hi, everyone...
>
> I've had some problems with the installation of programs over multiple user
> accounts in Windows XP Professional:
>
> For example, when I installed Office XP from within my personal
> administrator account, I am able to use the program just fine from my
> account. But, if I try to access Word, Excel, etc., from another user
> account (even if that user has administrative privileges), XP prompts me to
> insert the Office CD so that I can install the program. When I cancel out
> of the installation process, the program loads anyway -- therefore, I know
> that that account *can* access the software; but I'm not sure why Windows XP
> thinks it isn't installed, and thus asks for me to insert the installation
> CD.
>
> Any thoughts, anyone??
>
> THANKS!
> ~Alessandro, aka WhyMe.

The software wants to set some extra things up for each user: per user
application data folders, per user registry entries, etc. Pop the CD in.
Let Office do its thing. All done.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

?WhyMe? wrote:
> Hi, everyone...
>
> I've had some problems with the installation of programs over multiple user
> accounts in Windows XP Professional:
>
> For example, when I installed Office XP from within my personal
> administrator account, I am able to use the program just fine from my
> account. But, if I try to access Word, Excel, etc., from another user
> account (even if that user has administrative privileges), XP prompts me to
> insert the Office CD so that I can install the program.

That's perfectly normal. Office is simply adding some components to
the new user profile to speed up future use.

> When I cancel out
> of the installation process, the program loads anyway -- therefore, I know
> that that account *can* access the software; but I'm not sure why Windows XP
> thinks it isn't installed, and thus asks for me to insert the installation
> CD.
>
> Any thoughts, anyone??

Don't cancel the installation; simply let it finish, and that user
should never see the prompt again.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

h0pe

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Actually I don't believe that should be the _normal_ sollution for that. In a
business enviroment, you just cannot customize office every time when a new
user logs in to the machine!

There should be a default configuration for all the users I recon.

"H0PE" <H0PE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Actually I don't believe that should be the _normal_ sollution for
> that. In a business enviroment, you just cannot customize office
> every time when a new user logs in to the machine!
>
> There should be a default configuration for all the users I recon.

Then install everything when you install Office the first time.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Business customers didn't agree with you.

http://www.uscricket.com
"H0PE" <H0PE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:310A99B5-66A5-4A64-B79E-D57249A0907D@microsoft.com...
> Actually I don't believe that should be the _normal_ sollution for that. In a
> business enviroment, you just cannot customize office every time when a new
> user logs in to the machine!
>
> There should be a default configuration for all the users I recon.
>
> "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
>
>> ?WhyMe? wrote:
>> > Hi, everyone...
>> >
>> > I've had some problems with the installation of programs over multiple user
>> > accounts in Windows XP Professional:
>> >
>> > For example, when I installed Office XP from within my personal
>> > administrator account, I am able to use the program just fine from my
>> > account. But, if I try to access Word, Excel, etc., from another user
>> > account (even if that user has administrative privileges), XP prompts me to
>> > insert the Office CD so that I can install the program.
>>

>> That's perfectly normal. Office is simply adding some components to
>> the new user profile to speed up future use.
>>

>> > When I cancel out
>> > of the installation process, the program loads anyway -- therefore, I know
>> > that that account *can* access the software; but I'm not sure why Windows XP
>> > thinks it isn't installed, and thus asks for me to insert the installation
>> > CD.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts, anyone??
>> >

>> Don't cancel the installation; simply let it finish, and that user
>> should never see the prompt again.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>> both at once. - RAH

h0pe

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You guys obvioulsy haven't tried this software on full-scale, policy and
security driven system.

A user without admin rights cannot even start outlook at the first time
because the error message states you need to have administrative privileges
on the machine to configure at the first start?

Thus on windows xp all users has to have admin privilege? Pff...

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:

> "H0PE" <H0PE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Actually I don't believe that should be the _normal_ sollution for
> > that. In a business enviroment, you just cannot customize office
> > every time when a new user logs in to the machine!
> >
> > There should be a default configuration for all the users I recon.
>
> Then install everything when you install Office the first time.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Then they can't install Office!
When Office is installed install everything you want them to be able to use.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

> You guys obvioulsy haven't tried this software on full-scale, policy and
> security driven system.
>
> A user without admin rights cannot even start outlook at the first time
> because the error message states you need to have administrative
> privileges
> on the machine to configure at the first start?
>
> Thus on windows xp all users has to have admin privilege? Pff...
>
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> "H0PE" <H0PE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Actually I don't believe that should be the _normal_ sollution for
>> > that. In a business enviroment, you just cannot customize office
>> > every time when a new user logs in to the machine!
>> >
>> > There should be a default configuration for all the users I recon.
>>
>> Then install everything when you install Office the first time.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> Protect your PC
>> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

They can. And I have experience in a policy driven (incl assigned office install) environment.

For myself, I copy CD to hard disk and tell office to run from CD (which is the hard disk).

http://www.uscricket.com
"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23%23nIvUy9EHA.3944@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Then they can't install Office!
> When Office is installed install everything you want them to be able to use.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
>

> "H0PE" <H0PE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> You guys obvioulsy haven't tried this software on full-scale, policy and
>> security driven system.
>>
>> A user without admin rights cannot even start outlook at the first time
>> because the error message states you need to have administrative
>> privileges
>> on the machine to configure at the first start?
>>
>> Thus on windows xp all users has to have admin privilege? Pff...
>>
>> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> "H0PE" <H0PE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Then install everything when you install Office the first time.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>>> Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
>>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>>> Protect your PC
>>> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Good solution.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> They can. And I have experience in a policy driven (incl assigned
> office install) environment.
>
> For myself, I copy CD to hard disk and tell office to run from CD
> (which is the hard disk).
>
>> Then they can't install Office!
>> When Office is installed install everything you want them to be able
>> to use.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> Protect your PC
>> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
>>

>> "H0PE" <H0PE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> You guys obvioulsy haven't tried this software on full-scale,
>>> policy and security driven system.
>>>
>>> A user without admin rights cannot even start outlook at the first
>>> time because the error message states you need to have
>>> administrative privileges
>>> on the machine to configure at the first start?
>>>
>>> Thus on windows xp all users has to have admin privilege? Pff...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

There is not alot of computer sharing in a business enviroment these days
anyways.....

"H0PE" <H0PE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Actually I don't believe that should be the _normal_ sollution for that.
> In a
> business enviroment, you just cannot customize office every time when a
> new
> user logs in to the machine!
>
> There should be a default configuration for all the users I recon.
>
> "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
>
>> ?WhyMe? wrote:
>> > Hi, everyone...
>> >
>> > I've had some problems with the installation of programs over multiple
>> > user
>> > accounts in Windows XP Professional:
>> >
>> > For example, when I installed Office XP from within my personal
>> > administrator account, I am able to use the program just fine from my
>> > account. But, if I try to access Word, Excel, etc., from another user
>> > account (even if that user has administrative privileges), XP prompts
>> > me to
>> > insert the Office CD so that I can install the program.
>>

>> That's perfectly normal. Office is simply adding some components to
>> the new user profile to speed up future use.
>>

>> > When I cancel out
>> > of the installation process, the program loads anyway -- therefore, I
>> > know
>> > that that account *can* access the software; but I'm not sure why
>> > Windows XP
>> > thinks it isn't installed, and thus asks for me to insert the
>> > installation
>> > CD.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts, anyone??
>> >

>> Don't cancel the installation; simply let it finish, and that user
>> should never see the prompt again.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>> both at once. - RAH

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The program is installed. But it also does a per user install as it fully support XP's user model (one user can't affect another). It is not copying winword.exe over, it's customising for that specific user (after all one user may speak english and another german). To control users one uses group policy which office also fully supports. Also it may need to configure the current install to suit the user's roaming profile. Many features of Office are also Install On First Use by default. This is so only parts used on a machine get installed on that machime.

Copy Office CD to hard/network drive and run setup from there. This is the easist way, esp for home users. If space is an issue tell setup to run office from CD/Network (meaning whereever you started setup from). Then only user specific files will get copyed at all (dictionaries etc).

For companies read help. Setup can create an administration point. It similar to above but allows more structured custmisation of setup. But it works pretty much the same and ends up copying the CD (but in a flatter directory structure so companies can apply transforms and roll patches into it) and you can still tell it to run from CD/Network or not.

That said every user of mine has complained at the per user part. I don't know why MS did it this way. It annoys everyone. But it is very clever, just annoying as well.

http://www.uscricket.com