Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice and Suggestions

Last response: in Systems
December 6, 2006 5:13:40 PM

This will most likely be the hardware for my new build. Recommendations are more than welcome.

Mobo: Intel 975XBX2
CPU: e6400
PS: Silverstone Zeus 650W (for future expansion)
RAM: 1GB Patriot DDR2 800
HD: WD SATA 250GB
Video: x1900GT
LCD: 19 Widescreen Viewsonic

Already have case and burner.

Again, any suggestions/recommendations would be much appriciated! Thanks.

More about : advice suggestions

December 6, 2006 5:21:31 PM

are you going to be oc-ing? and whats your budget?
December 6, 2006 6:17:35 PM

My budget is at most 1,000 w/o monitor. I am trying to keep it a budget gaming console. I will not be overclocking; rather, I am looking for a stable, reliable, and a good gaming PC.
Related resources
December 6, 2006 8:32:25 PM

Not sure of the price of your mobo, but perhaps you could drop that down to an Asus P5B-E (since you won't be OC'ing) and either save some cash or get an E6600. I'd also get the Seagate 7200.10 drive instead of the WD you have selected...
December 6, 2006 9:27:47 PM

Yeah I was looking at that mobo, it looks like a great deal. Is there much of a difference between the 965 and 975 chipsets? Also after comparing reviews between the Asus board and the Intel board, the Intel board seems to be more positive. I don't have a lot of experience working with different mobo's so I am making most of my judgement on user reviews and whether if their hardware posted or not :D 

So a couple issues:
1.) 965 versus 975?
2.) Is the Asus 965 board RAM picky?

Also, with respect to video cards,
1.) Do you know if all video cards are compatible with the Intel board? I have read reviews that the Intel 975BX2 only works with crossfire but nothing about whether a nvidia card will work or not?
2.) Finally, when does ATI plan to release a card w/ DX10 support?

Thanks a mil.
December 7, 2006 2:30:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah I was looking at that mobo, it looks like a great deal. Is there much of a difference between the 965 and 975 chipsets?

The 965 has looser timings and a higher FSB so it is a better overclocker (for now), as more BIOS revisions become available this may change.
Quote:
Also after comparing reviews between the Asus board and the Intel board, the Intel board seems to be more positive.

What reviews are you talking about, the ones in Newegg...?
You gotta take user reviews for what their worth (not much), you don't know the experience level of those users, half of the problems they have are their own fault.
Search for a professional review to help form an opinion.
Quote:
I don't have a lot of experience working with different mobo's so I am making most of my judgement on user reviews and whether if their hardware posted or not

Nuff said
Quote:
So a couple issues:
1.) 965 versus 975?

From what perspective, # of pci slots, BIOS features...?
Quote:
2.) Is the Asus 965 board RAM picky?

Yes, if you use RAM that is not compatible with the 965 chipset.
Quote:
Also, with respect to video cards,
1.) Do you know if all video cards are compatible with the Intel board? I have read reviews that the Intel 975BX2 only works with crossfire but nothing about whether a nvidia card will work or not?

A PCI-E slot can't tell the difference between a ATI or NVIDIA card, with respect to chipsets the NVIDIA card will work with a ATI chipset and a ATI card will work with a NVIDIA chipset to the best of my knowledge.
Quote:
2.) Finally, when does ATI plan to release a card w/ DX10 support?

The rumor mill speculates Q1, 2007
December 7, 2006 3:32:14 AM

Quote:
I will not be overclocking; rather, I am looking for a stable, reliable, and a good gaming PC.

If I'm reading you correctly, you seem to feel that an OC'd computer is an unstable platform. I'm wondering if someone has advised you in this way, or if you've had a bad experience. I think that we who OC our rigs all agree that it's simply faster performance and better gaming for $0.00.

Granted, OC'ing requires some persistence and patience, but if approached with care, you can achieve a very nice performance increase, and still maintain 100% stability, which is always the goal. C2D's are such excellent OC'ers, it's almost a shame to run them at stock.

Except for some of the low end boards, most of the C2D motherboards, including those which you're considering, will support at least a moderate OC on a 6400 with the stock cooler, at stock voltages, and still remain completely stable. It's an option to consider, and you can always try it anytime.
December 7, 2006 1:19:23 PM

I would overclock but, I don't know enough. I don't need an expensive paperweight :) . A few of my buddies can help me there.

In response to Mad Dogg, what I mean by the difference between the 965 and 975 chipsets is what advantages does the 975 chipset have other the 965? Nvidia's 680i offers more features than NForce4 SLI, so wouldn't Intel's 975 have more features advantages than 965?
December 7, 2006 1:23:13 PM

The Asus mobo is fairly picky. Corsair is a good brand and is compatible with the mobo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145040

One of the things I like about the Asus is the number of people who use them. The forums here for Asus have by far and away more posts than any other manufacturer. That alone speaks to its popularity. With the P5BE and the Corsair memory above, you'll have the ability to OC if you want, but at a price range that's affordable.

Q1 07 as the previous poster said on the ATI DX10 card. Expect a hefty price tag though. nVidia is supposed to be releasing more DX10 compatible models too, some of them not in the stratosphere price range to boot.

As far as the difference in chipsets, I haven't looked into the technical differences.
December 7, 2006 1:29:25 PM

The Gigabye 965P-S3 is cheaper, stable, feature-rich, many excellent reviews, and overclocks great. Take a look at it.
December 7, 2006 9:15:23 PM

Do you currently own this board? What memory DDR2 800 is compatible with the 965 boards?
December 7, 2006 9:45:15 PM

Yes I own this board. Also have OCZ Plat DDR2-800, with no probs whatsoever. Someone else I know has the S3 board and Corsair XMS DDR2-800. Others have used G.Skill DDR2-800......this mobo is highly reviewed on alot of sites, not just this one.

Seriously, check around and see for yourself.......make sure before you spend the money. We're just trying to save you some money, but it's your decision afterall.

But I have no complaints, and have seen alot of people happy with the S3. Even more people buy the DS3, which is the exact same board except solid state capacitors......which lengthen the life of the board, but have no bearing on function, features, compatibility, or overclocking.
December 7, 2006 10:09:18 PM

Quote:
In response to Mad Dogg, what I mean by the difference between the 965 and 975 chipsets is what advantages does the 975 chipset have other the 965? Nvidia's 680i offers more features than NForce4 SLI, so wouldn't Intel's 975 have more features advantages than 965?

No, because the BIOS hasn't reached maturity yet so the 965 still holds the crown.
December 7, 2006 10:20:19 PM

Are you planning on going to Vista? If so you'll want 2 GB of ram. Something to keep in mind since Vista is just around the corner.
December 10, 2006 3:48:59 PM

Alright guys I have made some modifications:

Mobo:Gigabye 965P-S3
Power: Antec True Power Trio TP3 650W
(Getting this to support future video card)
CPU: e6400
CPU Cooling: Artic Cooling Freezer
HD: Sticking with the original WD 250GB
Memory: not sure either OCZ Plat DDR2-800 or Corsair DDR2-800 mem
(whatever is cheaper)
Video: Undecided but the 7900GS have significantly decreased in price the BFG one is fairly low.
LCD: Etheir Viewsonic vg2030vm or vg2230vm Yeah I know those monitors are bit pricey but with the money you helped me save I think I would go for either. Will the 7900GS perform well supporting either of these monitors?

Thanks again guys.
December 10, 2006 5:58:36 PM

Sorry some of my model numbers are wrong:

Mobo: 965P-DS3
LCD: vm2030wm or vm2230wm
December 10, 2006 6:39:54 PM

Alright last post I promise :) .

I was on the Dell website and found the model e207wfp which is comparable to Viewsonic 2030wm, is $40 cheaper and has a longer warranty. Both monitors have same resolution, contrast ratio, and brightness.

Any thoughts/recommendations guys?
December 11, 2006 12:24:47 AM

While I would never buy a Dell computer, their monitors are very good. I currently own 2 of them and am very pleased. Dell's monitors come highly reviewed across the boards. Definitely worth a second look I'd think.
December 11, 2006 1:36:55 AM

Overclocking is definately unstable, my system has had 1 error in 3 months, and thats better than normal.

The 975 chipset is older than the 965, go figure.... The Gigabyte ds3 is good, if u really have any extra money the new striker from asus with the 680i chipset have 3 video card slots, which means plenty of upgrading space in the future.

2 GB memory, suggest ocz or corsair for their simple overclockability, I don't know about patriots max voltage.

For about the same price you could get a Geforce 7900 gs and o/c it to around 680mhz, which at the moment is the best bang for your buck in overclocking.

Make sure to get a good heatsink, a tuniq tower would be good!

And remember the more overclocking the more bang u get for your buck!
!