deathbydonut

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Which are the best (ie least noisy, best cooling) 120mm fans and 90mm fans to load up a case?

I have the C80 Stacker and it didn't come with any fans?! nice case though. So I need some fans to fit the top fan, rear exhast front and sides. My system will run hot because i have 3 HDD's and 2 8800 GTX's, and the QX6700 so any recommendations as to how many fans i would probably need to properly cool my system and not create a engine turbine sound because the computer is sitting next to my arm rest.
Thx!

G

Super quiet fan are the one rated at 20db, fans at 30dB are still pretty silent.

You should look for high CFM, low DB one.

These look good
You can get quieter, less CFM one. I don't now if it's the best you can get but thats what I got and they look damn good to me!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
The silverstone 120mm fans are not bad either. They got nine blades instead of 7. Slightly less cfm than the one in the link above, but very silent.
The noise from the old rubbish maxtor harddisk is loads louder than the fan.

G

I second the SilverStone, they also make some with variable speed so you can adjust it to whatever you prefer.

My case cam with 2 SilverStone and haven't tried the yet but they are highly rated.

genec57

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I have 4 of the Silverstone variable fans. At low speed they are inaudible and at high speed they are loud but they move a lot of air and reduce temps by 6 to 7 degrees.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
Do you already have the case? If not, there are some pretty nice looking ones out there. Browsing the forums earlier, I came across one with dual 250 mm fans (and to answer your question, in general the larger the fan, the more CFM it will move without being too loud).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811103008

(I grabbed that link from http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=212899)

So long as you can control the RPM of those fans, you should be able to make the system very quiet while keeping all your parts nice and cool.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Stay away from coolermaster 120mm fans, unless you have foam to pad the fans with cause they vibrate a lot. if you hold them i your hand they are very very quiet but once installed the vibrations are fairly loud.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I think it depends on what fan you've got. In my old rig I had a coolermaster HD case (mounted in 3 5,25" slots). It came with a coolermaster 120mm fan attached to the front, and altho it by far is no match for the silverstone, I've never heard any vibrations from it.