Upgrade Time or just reformat?

So heres the deal despite lovingly taking care of my computer (To the point my girlfriend declares i cheat on her with it) XP as usual has managed to let crapware on. So 1 choice obviously is reformat. At the same time though maybe an upgrade?

My computer though not custom built by me was built via ABS as i was on time constraints. It wasn't a bad rig though.

AMD 64 X2 4400+
Asus A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
Stock NVidia GeForce 7800GT
SoundBlaster X-Fi Audio (Fatal1ty FPS Soundcard)
2GB RAM (4x 512MB RAM DDR PC3200) CMX512-3200C2
2 x 200GB 7200RPM SATA Drives.

So anyhow considering usually i have 2 Browsers with about 5-10 Tabs each open + Photoshop + Dreamweaver + GAIM and a Music player going and also occassionally play games such as Fear, PlanetSide and other CPU/Memory intense games what suggestions do you have for a first Upgrade? Or is it not worth it at all to upgrade at current do you think?

I don't feel like going all out and spending that much cash just a few hundred at most. I was thinking dumping one of the hard drives for a larger 320GB one or adding a third 200GB HD and/or something to beef up the performance. Ideas/suggestions welcome.
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade time reformat
  1. I agree with prozac on this one - unless you need more hard drive space, why add it...

What about over-clocking? Spend a little on a good heat-sink fan and just crank up what you already have...
  2. I was debating over clocking i'm just ab it hesitant that i'll fry my mobo or graphics card but maybe it is time to look into it :-).
  3. Seems like the perfect time to start OCing. Save the money you were going to spend on an upgrade - overclock for better performace - if something craps out on you, replace it with something better using the money you didn't spend on an upgrade. :D
  4. That's not a bad rig, so unless you are experiencing a slow-down with all that multitasking, no need to upgrade. A re-install will improve performance significantly. From then on, I would look to keep your computer well maintained. Don't skimp on defrags. Do some tweeking. You can see some performance gain in windows by disabling running services you don't need.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems