QuadFX sux at overlcokcing!

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/427/1/
previous.JPG

At stock voltages before I was hitting 46C/47C and now that the system is outside in the snow and ice the CPU temperatures dropped to 35C/31C, which is an 11C or 16C drop depending on the processor. These temperatures should be just as good as any mainstream water cooling solution, so back to the overclocking!

I wish I had some screen shots or killer performance numbers for you, but none are to be had. Even though the CPU temperatures outside are night and day better it didn't help out overclocking one bit. We tried getting the system to post at anything higher than 215MHz and it couldn't do it with stability. It looks like 3.2GHz is the most we are going to get out of this system!

At first I was upset when the BIOS on the ASUS L1N64-SLI WS Motherboard didn't allow for higher voltage options on the processors, but it's clear that when the system was set to 1.45V that it would break 56C, the maximum CPU temperature, at load as it was sitting in the BIOS at 53C. For enthusiasts that like to overclock, I feel it's safe to say that a pair of FX-74 processors and the ASUS L1N64-SLI WS motherboard are pretty uneventful overclockers. With that said, a pair of FX-70 processors might be very good overclockers since they come clocked at 2.6GHz and are also fully unlocked. If the FX-70's can hit 3.2GHz then those parts would be a heck of a buy for $599 and should be able to hang close to Intel's quad-core single processor offerings.

So far, looks like 4x4 sux more than expected. But hey, can AMD salvage QFX with an in-house chipset? :roll:

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Seriously, that board is a monster, with all those buses and wires and stuff.
Plus overclocking 2 cpus is much more difficult.
Plus, at 3GHz with 90nm process, the K8 uarch is totally maxed out.
So what did you expect?
But as they said, it would be interesting to test how well the FX-70 clocks, if it can reach the 3GHz range..

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/427/1/
previous.JPG

At stock voltages before I was hitting 46C/47C and now that the system is outside in the snow and ice the CPU temperatures dropped to 35C/31C, which is an 11C or 16C drop depending on the processor. These temperatures should be just as good as any mainstream water cooling solution, so back to the overclocking!

I wish I had some screen shots or killer performance numbers for you, but none are to be had. Even though the CPU temperatures outside are night and day better it didn't help out overclocking one bit. We tried getting the system to post at anything higher than 215MHz and it couldn't do it with stability. It looks like 3.2GHz is the most we are going to get out of this system!

At first I was upset when the BIOS on the ASUS L1N64-SLI WS Motherboard didn't allow for higher voltage options on the processors, but it's clear that when the system was set to 1.45V that it would break 56C, the maximum CPU temperature, at load as it was sitting in the BIOS at 53C. For enthusiasts that like to overclock, I feel it's safe to say that a pair of FX-74 processors and the ASUS L1N64-SLI WS motherboard are pretty uneventful overclockers. With that said, a pair of FX-70 processors might be very good overclockers since they come clocked at 2.6GHz and are also fully unlocked. If the FX-70's can hit 3.2GHz then those parts would be a heck of a buy for $599 and should be able to hang close to Intel's quad-core single processor offerings.

So far, looks like 4x4 sux more than expected. But hey, can AMD salvage QFX with an in-house chipset? :roll:

I don't OC. So how does that affect me? I plan on getting FX70 and a mid-range DX10 card and don't care if I have the highest frame rates. maybe that's why i don't have a faster CPU than 4400+.

So to wrap it up. I don't buy Intel. I buy AMD. QFX is an upgrade for me. Opteron 2218 is rated a 119W. ECC memory is $500 more expensive for good 800 with adequate timings.

Opteron wksta - $3500

QFX wksta - ~$2500 ( by the time G80 drops in price)

I'll tell you what, I'll let you know if it can run a game at 1280 or 1600. I'll also let you know how much faster my compiles are and whether I can output BluRay while playing a game. (not that that's a fantasy of mine)

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Seriously, that board is a monster, with all those buses and wires and stuff.
Plus overclocking 2 cpus is much more difficult.
Plus, at 3GHz with 90nm process, the K8 uarch is totally maxed out.
So what did you expect?
But as they said, it would be interesting to test how well the FX-70 clocks, if it can reach the 3GHz range..
I agree, QuadFX sux for overclocking. I have never expected to be different, especialy for the 3GHz CPUs.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
It's 4 cores, much harder to OC them all the same. On this point of view, AMDs native quads could do somehow better but their 65nm SOI seems to suck as well, Intel has done a formidable job @ 65nm.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
So didn't anyone realise that multi-processor systems are harder to OC? It is hard enough sometimes to have two processors to work in sync in ideal conditions, but overclocking? Really?

The fact that it is even possible to overclock at all is the big shocker to me--I had no idea how they can pull that off and maintain a stable system...

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
What about Kentsfield?
It is 2 dies on 1 processors. Kentsfield should be more difficult to overclock because it is impossible to choose the dies. Unlike Kentsfield, you can choose the CPUs on the QFX.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
yes, yes, very true; not to mention the fact that, as aforementioned, the architecture is like totally maxxed at this point.

procs can only get so much clock for their architecture, and you can think of this as the same processors that are older, just overclocked my amd not by you. so if its already oc'd, you can't squeeze that much more out, and thats essentially what the deal is.

so yeah. if you really have to have blu-ray compiling 24/7 while you game, 4x4 is what you need. i think personally that blu-ray is losing the format war (which is irrelivant), and that nobody has THAT much data in movies to compile. whatever. i'm perfectly fine CLOSING what i'm doing and gaming with my single-core sempron from like 2004 that was free. so that isn't necissarily a step that i will take.

btw, since when is "overlcokcing" spelled with "cok" in it? rofl. i busted out laughing when i read that.

konfuzd

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
The way AMD has the power system set up in the K8 is inherently limiting to high clock speeds. What happens is as you increase the speed, different parts of the processor (most likely between the cores and IMC) require different voltages to remain stable. This forces you to set the voltage to accomodate the weakest link. There's a good chance that's what is happening here. Even if AMD moves these chips to 65nm, I doubt overclocking will get too much better due to this problem.

Kentsfield completely lacks this problem because asside from the individual dies, you can adjust all voltages independantly.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
as far as i know, they weren't talking about you. :roll:
He invented the 4x4, so he feels like we are BS-ing about him :roll:

Making things up again, huhn? Wouldn't you eat it up if you made a suggestion and it happened a few months later? According to someone here they wanted this too.

ANyway, when you buy C2Q and OC it won't open Word any faster or give you more frame rates you can see. When you buy QFX and OC the same thing hapens.

I always thooght of OCers as people who HAVE TO get over by paying less for better perf. And it's usually just for bragging rights, not increased productivity.

If I were buying a game system, I'd buy 5200+ and 8800GTS SLI. The same for OC. I would buy a high end chip and slap some water on it.

Coolaler and those guys got FX60 to 4GHz or so (IIRC).

Poor, QFX. Can't OC like Intel.

BooHoo!

salvador

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2004
HAHA you are joking right? You do know that they had to use LN2 to get it to 4Ghz? And that result must be almost the only ONE out there !

NOT something you can manage with water. Not a chance in hell.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Making things up again, huhn? Wouldn't you eat it up if you made a suggestion and it happened a few months later? According to someone here they wanted this too.
Can you show us where you have made your suggestions?

ANyway, when you buy C2Q and OC it won't open Word any faster or give you more frame rates you can see. When you buy QFX and OC the same thing hapens.
Noob, do you realise that 4x4 is aimed for enthusiast?
It should offer the best performance and that can only be achieved by overclocking the best!
Why would anyone buy a quadcore workstation/server for opening Word documents?
Have you heard about audio/video encoding, rendering, complex math/physics processing?

I always thooght of OCers as people who HAVE TO get over by paying less for better perf. And it's usually just for bragging rights, not increased productivity.
Yes, OCers are people who know how to tune their system to perfrom better while wasting less money. While hardware makers are ripping my money, I'll always torture to the maximum the hardware I have paid for.

If I were buying a game system, I'd buy 5200+ and 8800GTS SLI. The same for OC. I would buy a high end chip and slap some water on it.
That is because you are stupid ignorant idiot! Everyone with some brain and knowledge will buy Core2 for gaming and for overclocking!

Coolaler and those guys got FX60 to 4GHz or so (IIRC).
It is a WR OC for FX-60, idiot. It is achieved on a cherry picked chip, by a group of people using dry ice. It was running on that freqfency only for few minutes, just to have the validation. Do you realise that noob?

Poor, QFX. Can't OC like Intel.

BooHoo!
Poor, BaronBS. Can't take a hint like everyone else.

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Look at what you could buy for € 1357 (euro).

Antec PerformanceOne P180B EU € 132 (supersilent (raptor) case)
Abit AB9 Pro Moederbord € 165 (wanna get to EX6800 speeds? np)
G.E.I.L. 2x1 GB DDR2-800 CL4 4-4-12 € 278 (these timings will do)
Intel E6600 Allendale CPU € 308 (and this will make it complete)
RaptorX 150GB € 229 (with the fastest IDE drive (except for the 36gb version) that is)

The rest I would choose is low budget as I would not buy a dx10 card yet as it will be smarter to wait till 2008 when the prices will drop as DX10 games are not yet released early 2007.

Sapphire Radeon X1950Pro € 189 (so this would be a nice choice if you want to save some money for the Dx10 upgrade within one year of time)

The rest of the money would bemuch for dvd burner and psu.....you can fill in the rest.....it's a cheap price for the performance you get from the whole system setup.

It's also one of the perfect overclock setups. You think any programm will ask for more like you will notice the difference? I mean..what do you use your pc for? Seti calculations? Heavy graphics/music appz? You name it......what do we need intel quad for anyways......let's for example take Alan Wake....this game has changed it's release date to 2008....let's be serious here....2008. Why? Cause you just pay too much money for the damn fake quad core (not AMD) as it's no real quad core architecture. The game takes allready 1 core of the so called quad core (1000 euro's) and puts a lot of stress on it. It says something to me that nowadays games are asking for more cpu power instead of insane high prices. Look at Crysis...a perfect example. Also delayed. You dont believe me look it up. It's time for 2008 that nvidia will join the cpu competition cause these high prices are not good for the public satisfaction. If these greedy intel people only knew how much more money they could earn if they only dropped the quad core prices a bit more and more people would buy them quads.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
is time to admit it... is Intel time

what AMD should do is F***ing release their dam 65nm for Athlon 64 X2 series and ban the 90nm X2 series from the stores.

They made the big mistake to release fx-70 series with 90nm

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
HAHA you are joking right? You do know that they had to use LN2 to get it to 4Ghz? And that result must be almost the only ONE out there !

NOT something you can manage with water. Not a chance in hell.

What part of I don't OC was deflected by your rose-colored glasses? My point was that if you really want to you can OC QFX.

Why would you though? WHy would you OC C2Q? Do you have insecurities or something?

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Umm, I think I already posted this question.

See the OP for those on the short bus.
I allready answered your stupid question:

BaronBS nLogic®

BaronBS nLogic® is a unique technology that connects the real world with the unreal, developed by the greatest scientist, inovator and predictor BaronBS(the inventor of 4x4 also). It can be used in various areas of science, but its "dev", developed this technology to measure the performance and the quality of various computer hardware.

The benefit of this briliant method is that no benchmakrs of the hardware are needed, but you will always get the benchmark scores that you have always wanted from your hardware. BaronBS nLogic® is very powerfull technology that can make the life in your own world easier. It also can compensate for your unexplainable conclusions and your great lack of intelegnece and knowledge.

It's concept is very simple and is based on imagination. The amazing results are achieved in few steps:
Step 1: Ignore all facts, techical informations, logical explanations and arguments.
Step 2: Imagine that your hardware is the best and the fastest.
Step 3: Accept your wishes as reality and apply them to your real world.

BaronBS nLogic® is not perfect and is still in development by the greatest C# "dev" he has ever seen in the mirror. If you notice some contradictions with facts, arguments and logical explanations from reality, just repeat the steps until you see the results you wanted.

The power of BaronBS nLogic® is based on few very powerfull features:

- nLogic® Blinds®
The most powerfull feature of BaronBS nLogic® is the nLogic® Blinds®, which ignores the things(facts, arguments, technical data, logical explanations, etc.) that you don't want to see, while it makes you able to see and bias the things that you want to see.

- nLogic® Change Subject®
This is very usefull feature and comes in addition to nLogic® Blinds®. It automaticly starts working whenever someone tries to involve you in the real world. For example, when some one starts talking with arguments, explains by using logic and mentions tehcnical data, which are in contradiction with BaronBS nLogic®, than nLogic® Change Subject® automaticly starts changing the subject of discussion until the discutant give up.

- nLogic® I am the best®
This is a bonus feature wich makes you the best in everythin you can imagine. Its concept is simple but 100% efficient. It isolates you in your imagined world and zeroes your social skills. There you have no competition and simply you are the best in everything you imagine.

So far, the BaronBS nLogic® is supported on the HORDE Operating System only. Microsoft hope that their negotiations with the analyst & "dev" BaronBS will be successfull and that they will get a license to include it in Windows Vista.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

what AMD should do is F***ing release their dam 65nm for Athlon 64 X2 series and ban the 90nm X2 series from the stores.

No. They didn't. They did what their resources allowed. Intel's resources allow them to spoil and brainwash OCers in to thinking that it even matters.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
No. They didn't. They did what their resources allowed. Intel's resources allow them to spoil and brainwash OCers in to thinking that it even matters.
- nLogic® Change Subject®
This is very usefull feature and comes in addition to nLogic® Blinds®. It automaticly starts working whenever someone tries to involve you in the real world. For example, when some one starts talking with arguments, explains by using logic and mentions tehcnical data, which are in contradiction with BaronBS nLogic®, than nLogic® Change Subject® automaticly starts changing the subject of discussion until the discutant give up.

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Noob, do you realise that 4x4 is aimed for enthusiast?
Don't take this as a diss or anything, but as anyone ever thought about the fact that the word enthusiast can mean a lot of things when talking about certain niche markets?
By this i mean when AMD talks about catering to the enthusiast market, that market well may be "people-that-want-the-best-performance-available-without-having-to-tweak-anything" with a price thats on par with the competition instead of the "We-put-out the-best-performing/most efficient/most overclockable product-on-the market". Because let's face it, when people buy lower-end cpu's and OC the hell out of them, they are essentially "robbing"(figure of speech) the manufacturers of potential sales of higher end parts, so when AMD put out the k7 & K8 uArchs, they unleashed a monster, thus aggregating a slew of followers. Now since then they also matured as a CPU company, they are less likely to cater to "hardcore" enthusiasts and more to the "mainstream" enthusiasts which in turn will theoretically bring in more $$$ by making a whole platform available to them, instead of just uber l33t cpus...I came to this conclusion since i observed a trend with AMD; when they first came out they bent over backwards to accommodate the small "hardcore" niche market, but since they went big time and took up fair percentages of the markets they operate in (desktops and servers), they diversified their products and are now trying to maximize an uArch to it's fullest thus giving them the chance to make more money out of an older uArch while trying to stay at the same level as Intel.

Take note that this reply is in no way about compassion for BaronBS's post, since I can't stand the fact that someone would stand by any company like he does, defending it like it was his,(but fanboys will always be here) but just about the fact that AMD as changed a lot as a company and that what we came to expect from them will alway be a bit disappointing if we try to compare it with things that came from them since k7 and K8, and this will also surely be true for Intel, because the C2D uArch kicks so much a$$ right now, performance wise, that if the next uArch that comes from them (intel) is in any small way inferior to the tremendous leap they took with C2D, they will get bad mouthed for sure.
My 2 cents.

(Edited spelling)

Oh and about nLogic --> :trophy:, pissed myself laughing on that one!

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

Uhmm...OC'ing has been part of the enthusiast community since there was a CPU to oveclock jr. so it most definatly does matter. So in terms of overclocking, FX-7x is a flop - which makes QuadFX a flop - stop trying to justify and defend a failure, you're only opening yourself up to more ridicule.

As a side note Tom's Hardware was originally centered around how much you could overclock your machin iirc. Does anyone else remember Toms original OC databases? I had a few chips in there (under a name I long since can't remember)