shadowjagans

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
my friend asked me the other day how to set up a LAN with ethernet, we tried connecting the main computer with the second computer, the main computer can read that the cable is connected but the second one doesnt seem to respond, is this bcoz the second computer's motherboard's ethernet port is not workin properly or somthin?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
If you are tring to connect 2 computers together without a router, you will need to use a crossover cable. Then set the IP,sub manually.

If you are using a router, make sure the NIC port is turned on and set DHCP. If it has a firewall on the mb, you will need to disable it, for you to see it.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Ok by “no signal” I’m guessing that when u put on the PC the fans start turning and the monitor displays no signal? Could bee many things (read not only bios).

What did you do b4 this happened?
Does the speaker sort of beep when u turn on the system?

shadowjagans

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
we didnt do mch at all, we tried to set up an network/LAN with the second computer, i hopped on the second computer to check out the network settings or wateva and then it jus shutted down on me and when we tried to turn it bak on, monitor jus displays "no signal"
(im pretty sure its not an age problem, the whole computer is only 2 yrs old)

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
we didnt do mch at all, we tried to set up an network/LAN with the second computer, i hopped on the second computer to check out the network settings or wateva and then it jus shutted down on me

Well playing around with the network setting won’t cause such an error so you can have a clear conscience on that one. Hopefully it is something simple like a loose monitor cable (first thing that I would check)

Otherwise it could be almost anything. Try fixing his PC to another (your) comp and booting it up. Try his monitor on your one. That should eliminate the monitor (highly unlikely anyway). Try switching Video cards next. Then RAM and so on and so forth till you find what is causing the problem.

Good luck and post if you can’t figure something out.